BGPA Missions - Bugfix release - details Page 9

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: BGPA Missions - Bugfix release - details Page 9

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:23 am

Ok, I thought there might be some potential issue in the engine.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:39 am

Nope, just me being careless. Sorry 'bout that.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Gothic » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:40 am

Are you supposed to leave through this gap? (map110: Inca H.Q.)
Gothic
Barely present

Discord: #1462

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:47 am

You are not - but it seems that it is possible to get through quite easily! That's an oversight. I wonder how long it's been like that. I'll have to fix it up. Thanks.
Enjay

Postby Gothic » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:00 am

When you kill yourself with the Rocket Launcher, the game crashes and gives me this error message:

Code: Select allExpand view
VM Execution Aborted: tried to read from address zero.
Called from LWMFlashlightSpawner.StateFunction.0 at njbgpabh_Fix_Release_Candidate05c.pk3:bgpa/flashlight, line 36
Called from LWMFlashlightSpawner.Tick at njbgpabh_Fix_Release_Candidate05c.pk3:bgpa/flashlight, line 14
Called from state LWMFlashlightSpawner.0 in LWMFlashlightSpawner
Called from Thinker.Tick [native]

Tested with the latest dev build (g4.3pre-546-g738b9ceb0).

Also to avoid multiple posts, I will use this post for future bug reports if anything else goes wrong. Or maybe I should just wait, I don't know :P

EDIT 1: The Fire Grenade Launcher can still fire grenades even when you run out of ammo.
Last edited by Gothic on Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gothic
Barely present

Discord: #1462

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:18 pm

Hmmm... not just the rocket launcher but any "extreme" player death will cause this.

I know what's causing it (sort of) - the extreme player death has A_SkullPop in it and, looking at the ZSCript code for the flashlight (which I didn't write - so I'm trying to figure it out), my guess is that the flashlight script needs to know where the player is but once the player view becomes disassociated with the player actor via A_SkullPop (or whatever is exactly going on when that happens) it confuses the flashlight code and the abort happens.

The obvious work-around is to simply remove the A_SkullPop pointer from the extreme death sequence. I don't really understand the flashlight code well enough to fix it from that side. I'll see what I can do but, if it comes to it, A_SkullPop will have to go (it's not really that important anyway).

I guess that the other option would be to adopt a more modern flashlight like Steve's Flashlight or the one from DarkDoomZ. I did actually try both of these but I came up with a problem. I don't want it to be possible for the light to just be on all of the time and I don't want a battery/time limited effect either. Having to hold a button while to keep the light on works well for this mod IMO. However, when using that kind of control system on both of those flashlights, it's relatively easy to invert the functionality of the button so that the light is on all of the time and only off when pressing the button. Mashing the button can sometimes cause it, as can holding and releasing with a certain timing.

I suppose I could also go back to the older ACS version of LWM's flashlight but it seems a shame to do that if the ZScript version is fixable.

I've addressed the MAP110 gap problem in my local build. That was easy enough to do. Maps are easier to fix. ;)
Enjay

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Well, the flashlight is fixed too; not by my efforts, of course, but Ed the Bat came to the rescue. The code needed a "player==null" check. With that included, the player can gib without causing the abort.

Thanks Ed. :thumb:

[edit]
Updated link with fixed map110, Ed's flashlight fix and a couple of other minor tweaks.

http://www.aspectsweb.co.uk/enjay/doom/ ... ate05f.pk3

[/edit]
Enjay

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects