[brainstorm, all contributions welcome] Total Newbie Guide

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

[brainstorm, all contributions welcome] Total Newbie Guide

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:51 pm

I'd have started something on the wiki, but I'd much rather have something solid to go with before posting something that, incomplete, might do more harm than good.

Every so often a new guy comes to the forums and wants to mod but has absolutely no frickin' clue how Doom stuff works. Worse, we don't know they don't know, so when they ask a question about six or seven of us come up with stuff about the wiki, DECORATE, some elaborate hack, etc. when the guy doesn't even know what a PWAD is.

So I'd like to put something up around here that we can point people to, that explains from absolute zero all the basics of making maps, mods, etc. for ZDoom. And I'm going to open up a mass brainstorm on what to put on that thing in this thread.

So, braindump:

Instead of going at everything piecemeal, or providing a huge top-down analysis of what wads and lumps are, it should be best to start chronologically from the starting position of a new modder. This helps narrow down one issue ASAP, which is the format of what you want to do: map wad, text in zip, PNGs in zip, sounds in zip, or precompiled ACS.

So first branching off section: What do you want to make?
  • New sprites
  • New textures
  • New sounds
  • New maps
  • New monsters and other objects
  • New weapons
  • Nothing yet - I want to see how others do it. What are these "wad" things?

The reader should be advised to proceed in order, since the sections are organized in ascending order of complexity. That said, the sections with maps/monsters/weapons should refer back to the new graphics and sounds sections only as necessary.

I don't think we should even go into the old wad/lump format outside the last section, since chances are whatever results would be ZDoom-only anyway. Where certain things have to be explained (e.g., sprite naming conventions, use of the word "lump"), these can be explained piecemeal as old methods of organization before extensions were available.

The new monsters section

This should have several tutorials, each building up on what came before, so you'd have, say:
  • Simple inert decoration: basic actor definition format, spawn state, replacements
  • Random inert decoration: A_Jump type calls, TNT1, custom states
  • Shootable, blocking, translucent, etc. decorations: flags, pain state
  • Destructible objects: health, death, A_Explode, A_SpawnItemEx
  • Monster that chases and attacks: A_Chase, missile/melee states, A_CustomMissile
  • Variations on attacks: more custom states, other attack functions, A_CPos/Spid/SentinelRefire
  • Putting it all together: explanation of ZombieMan and Cyberdemon (and bulletpuff/rocket) definitions
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: [brainstorm, all contributions welcome] Total Newbie Guide

Postby bagheadspidey » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:11 am

I think it's certainly a noble cause. Here's a few quick thoughts - remove all jargon from opening pages, and create a separate glossary. This is really close to what you have, although I'd probably change the order up a bit...

Getting Started

* Creating textures
* Creating sounds
* Creating maps
* Creating objects
* Creating monsters
* Creating weapons

Glossary

WAD, Lump, Texture, Patch, Flat, Hires, ACS, DECORATE, ...

hmm, maybe I dont have as much to add to this as I thought. I dunno, it's late ;)
bagheadspidey

Postby Tormentor667 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:16 am

I like that idea, maybe I can contribute as well with some stuff :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Phobus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 am

I think it'd probably just end up competing with all of the other guides out there... with one added bonus:

It's got multiple opinions added.

Personally, I think the best thing to do for learning is explain the basics (what something is and how you'd make it in the most popular editors available) and then show examples of varying complexity, as that's what I learnt from (Hacker's Guide to Doom was pretty much my bible about 8 years ago).

I'd write an example myself, but I fear I'd over-complicate it by trying to explain it too much... I suppose a way round this would be to copy the information from the aforementioned book.
Phobus
Registered Occasional Lurker

My first attempt at the first new monster/object tutorial

Postby Matt » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:40 am

EDIT: Holy frickin' Jesus this thing is long. :eek: BHS, I think you're right with separating creating new objects from creating new monsters... I'll see how to make this more concise later.

Spoiler:
Last edited by Matt on Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby bagheadspidey » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:23 am

Nice monster tutorial =) two things I noticed...

- I'd replace open up the console, and summon a "zombiedummy" with open up the console and type "summon zombiedummy".

- You write "summon the dummy again, and try to talk into him." I'm sure you meant to say "walk into him" ;)

Other than that, nice work =)
bagheadspidey

Postby Matt » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:38 am

Heh, yeah I caught the "talk" typo while revising. As for summoning, I'd rather write this with the assumption that the reader will know basic functions of ZDoom, especially those that are common with other FPSes with consoles. (Or is Unreal/UT the only one? o_O) Anyway, adding it just in case.

Here's a first revision, spoilered for tldr:
Spoiler:
Matt

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects