[WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20080317][Screenshots P4]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

[WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20080317][Screenshots P4]

Postby MartinHowe » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:19 pm

The Good Guys V2

Update:

+Demo level - Code review and tag tidy up in ACS and MAP
-Demo level - Minor bugs fixed
-Demo level - Premature Death bug fixed in (you'll know it if it happened to you :wink:)
+Demo level - Monsters can now open polyobject doors (see also "Special Effects" section in documentation of both parts)
+Demo level - New screenies (see page 4)!
+Demo level - all the NAZI "system" messages in (very very bad!) German

Summary:
A heavily reworked and expanded version of GOODGUYS.WAD that takes advantage of the power of DECORATE and other advanced ZDoom features to fix bugs and remove limits.

Info:
Type: Weapon Pack
Engine: ZDoom SVN r654 or later (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=211429)
Game: Doom, Doom2, Final Doom
Player(s): Single
Current build: http://www.martinsobservationpost.net/system/GoodGuyz20080317.zip
Documentation: http://www.martinsobservationpost.net/system/GoodGuyz20080317.txt

Description:

This was originally meant to be a sort-of realistic weapons patch, because the originals were in my opinion considered too cartoony. There are now a fair set of black magic weapons and some hi-tech weapons as well.

To enable a reasonable set of halfway realistic weapons to logically coexist alongside a Quantum Disentangler and a Bible of Blasphemy, the documentation tracks that of The Butchery and assumes a mid-21st century setting, a few years after the Demon War.

By far my favourite weapon is the Atomic Cannon; this is nothing less than S****W W*****R envy and I thought it's about time we had a half-decent nuclear bomb in Doom. Daniel started it off with his BFG nuke projectors, but I wanted a real nuclear explosion and gun. Like it's counterpart, this weapon REALLY REALLY needs to be used with levels designed for it - huge open spaces and places to hide. To get a glimpse of it in use, until I can make a demo map for the pack, try using it on maps 13 and 15 of Doom 2.

My second favourite is the alternate fire mode of the Bible of Blasphemy. Try using this in the entrance hall of MAP01 of TNT - Evilution and watch the fur fly :)

Please note that the The Good Guys page on my web site has not been updated for this release and probably won't be until the pack reaches Release Candidate status. This thread is really about "keeping it in the family" until the pack is good enough to submit to the archive.

Weapon Groups

Close Quarters (Slot 1)
Weapons of varying power that are suitable for use at close-quarters
against Zombiemen, Demons, Imps, Dogs and the weaker Hell Nobility.

Small Arms (Slot 2)
Medium power weapons, suitable for use at medium distances and against all
of the lower demon classes plus, as a last resort, Hell Nobles and Viles.

Shotgun Variants (Slot 3)
Higher power weapons, suitable for use at close range against the bigger of
the minor monsters, the Hell Noblity and the lower types of the big bosses.

Rapid Fire (Slot 4)
Full-auto weapons such as machine guns and gatling cannons; these vary in
power but all fire several shells per second; useful for room-clearance.

Light Artillery (Slot 5)
High power weapons, suitable for use at greater distances and against all
but the most very dangerous types of monsters, though these too at a pinch.

Miscellaneous Armanents (Slot 6)
Various weapons left over from the source material; these do not really fit
anywhere else, but are considered too cool or useful to discard altogether.

Mass Destruction (Slot 7)
Ultra-high power energy weapons, suitable for use at long distances against
huge hordes of monsters or against the greatest and most powerful monsters.

Projectile Implements (Slot 8)
Weapons such as grenades, shurikens, caltrops; things that are thrown which
then pierce, cut or explode.

Black Magic (Slot 9)
The most eclectic weapons of all! These were not made by humans or else are
weird fusions of technology and magic, often stolen from demons themselves!
Your soul is at risk if you use these artifacts of hell, but sometimes they
can save you from paying it - or the other place - a premature visit!

Black Humour (Slot 0)
The most bizarre weapons of all! Some are just plain silly and others have a
serious use; most were originally going to be easter eggs in the Butchery;
kill demons with them if you like, but remember also to have a good laugh:)

Weapons
Listed by slot number and class name

Slot 1 (Close Quarters)
Fists
Knife
Katana

Slot 2 (Small Arms)
AutomaticPistol
Submachinegun
AssaultRifle

Slot 3 (Shotgun Variants)
AssaultShotgun
SawnOffShotgun
HeavyShotgun

Slot 4 (Rapid Fire)
LightMachinegun
VulcanShotgun
NemesisMiniGun

Slot 5 (Light Artillery)
PlasmaHandgun
FlmeThrower
AtomicCannon

Slot 6 (Miscellaneous Armanents)
AresPistol
MagnumHandgun
SniperRifle

Slot 7 (Mass Destruction)
NeutronDegenerator
MolecularDisruptor
QuantumDisentangler

Slot 8 (Projectile Implements)
ShurikenThrow
CaltropThrow
GrenadeThrow

Slot 9 (Black Magic)
BibleOfBlasphemy
ScepterOfSacrilege
HeartOfHeresy

Slot 0 (Black Humour)
ClipboardOfChaos
HammerOfHatred
ChainsawOfCarnage

Notes:
The code/graphics/sounds base was ESPI's GunsPC mod for EDGE but lots of other stuff is used, some I even made myself. I have used stuff that permits reuse and credits are in the documentation; the main creditees are, in order of amount of resources ripped or edited: ESPI, Kaiser, Daniel, WildWeasel.

History

+Demo level - Code review and tag tidy up in ACS and MAP
-Demo level - Minor bugs fixed
-Demo level - Premature Death bug fixed in (you'll know it if it happened to you :wink:)
+Demo level - Monsters can now open polyobject doors (see also "Special Effects" section in documentation of both parts)
+Demo level - New screenies (see page 4)!
+Demo level - all the NAZI "system" messages in (very very bad!) German

+New INTERPIC in the demo level
-Slight improvement in one of the "under construction" areas
+Molecular Disruptor flames hurt just like the DN3D ones that inspired them

+All DOOM power-ups and artefacts implemented and some generalised
+A basic compatibility layer for playing standard DOOM levels with it
+Much improved demo level, still small, but with many many more features!
+Implemented in demo level DECORATE script many decorations and things from Wolf3D including the "lost episode" NAZIs (and their dog!)
+Implemented a few of my own NAZI scenery items as well!
+Basic documentation for demo level DECORATE items (not currently all used in the game, but rip 'em for your own projects if you like)
+Demo level WAD (minus the map) intended to eventually become The Bad Guys V2

-Some minor improvements under the hood
+A demo level (small at the moment)

-Fixed ALIEN looking in the wrong direction when about to turn and face the player
+Given the Black Magic weapons a definite progression of power
-Swapped the BoB and SoS primary attacks for consistency with the WMD

+Found a way to make ALIEN turn and face you when snarling his greeting
-Fixed the Black Magic/Weapons of Mass Destruction lagging
+Much improved Sceptre of Sacrilege primary attack (it's really gross :puke:)

-Ported the WMD architecture to Bible of Blasphemy and Heart of Heresy primary attacks
-Some minor improvements elsewhere
-Extra gibs for the Neutron Degenerator

-Finally sorted the WMD effects and made them work decently
-Each of the WMD now has its own distinctive behaviour
-Violent gibbing, gibbing with flame debris or utter disintegration
-Feel the power!!

-Project retargeted to ZDoom (SVN r654 or greater required)
-GZDoom support *temporarily* unavailable (will allow working shotgun flashlight)
-Nuclear Disruptor renamed Molecular Disruptor
-Implemented the Molecular Disruptor (slot 7 primary)
-The other two WMD have working weapon sprites
-Nuclear explosion sound works properly now

-Implemented the Neutron Degenerator (slot 7 secondary)
-Minor typos fixed here and there

-Created prescaled HUD icons for all ammo types for people who don't/can't use GZDoom enhanced HUD
-Fixed AmmoType None problem
-This should now work OK with recent SVNs of "plain" ZDoom except for the Assault Shotgun flashlight (which requires OpenGL lighting effects)

-Replaced ACS scripts with enhancements to the custom player class for enhanced compatibility

-Fixed minor Bible of Blasphemy AltFire spawn bug
-As promised, added an enhanced Heart of Heresy AltFire effect that at the moment occurs randomly, though I may make it an artefact possession effect in future versions.

2007.11.23:
-Improved knife animation

2007.11.21:
-Bible of Blasphemy zombies now play their sight sound if waking from boredom.
-Bible of Blasphemy zombies now have full *slurp* animation sprites.
-AresPistol, MagnumHandgun and SniperRifle changed to use dum dums instead of slugs; see this post for the reason why
-Black Cat MDM-2744 Dumb-Dumbs (tm) added as an ammo type.

2007.11.20:
-Improved Vulcan Shotgun and Nemesis Minigun casings. Not perfect yet but better that they were.
-Fixed shuriken and caltrop (yes they had it too) animation bug

2007.11.19:
-Bible of Blasphemy zombies now randomly get bored if they can't find something to attack.
-Bible of Blasphemy zombies now have an extra idling behaviour restored from last time but done better.[/color]

2007.11.18:
-Bible of Blasphemy zombie idling sprites cleaned up improved idling behaviour
-As discussed, some work on improving the Heart of Heresy or adding another artefact that does it better. WIP, so not public yet.

2007.11.15:
-Magnum Handgun implemented
-Sniper Rifle implemented (needs tweaking)

2007.11.14:
-Ares pistol implemented
-Improved documentation
-Documentation now generated from DECORATE file

2007.11.12:
-First public release
-All but slots 6 and 7 feature-complete
-Harmonising hands/gloves deferred until all specs finalised
-Some fine-tuning to be done
-Have fun finding the bugs :P
Last edited by MartinHowe on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 32 times in total.
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2

Postby Amuscaria » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:29 pm

i'm quite curious about this "Atomic Cannon" >: )
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20071114]

Postby wildweasel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:27 am

Just as a note, when using custom state labels, you should start putting quote marks around the state to jump to. Example:
Code: Select allExpand view
THIS:
TNT1 A 1 A_Jump(128,"Reload")

INSTEAD OF:
TNT1 A 1 A_Jump(128,Reload)

Why? Because apparently the old behavior is deprecated, and no longer works as of GZDoom 1.0.29 and the latest ZDoom SVN's.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby MartinHowe » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:56 pm

wildweasel wrote:Just as a note, when using custom state labels, you should start putting quote marks around the state to jump to.
Damn! Thought I'd done all of those suckers. New code has that, but older stuff like the cell pack, cell and some of the minigun code to name but 3 didn't or only partly did. Thanks for the heads-up.

There'll be an update later this evening, hope to have included ESPI's 552 at least as a plain assault rifle. No idea if a sniper scope effect is even possible in ZDoom but not a priority for me; I only wanted it as a simple assault rifle because it really looks like a mean cool weapon, though to you gun-crazy yanks, it probably rates no better than a peashooter :)
MartinHowe

Postby wildweasel » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:51 pm

Better a SIG than another freakin' M4 or SPAS-12, in my opinion.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20071115]

Postby DBThanatos » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:39 am

Just a couple of things:

-The knife animation... (in my opinion) looks like you are hitting your foe with the base of the knife instead cutting with the blade :P
-The casings In the minigun are expelled in a very strange way, it looks like DoomGuy is spitting the casings, maybe if those were expelled a little lower.
-The Shurikens should be fired a little later, because if you are presice, you can pause the game in a particular moment when you still have the shuriken in the hand(the weapon sprite) but the shuriken-projectile is already in the air

Anyway I loved:
-The clipboard of chaos!
-ares Pistol
-katana
-HeartOf Heresy

And I couldnt figure out:
-Scepter of sacrilege
-Bible of Blasphemy

:D

DBT
DBThanatos
Guns, explosions, gore.

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:03 am

DBThanatos wrote:And I couldnt figure out:
-Scepter of sacrilege
-Bible of Blasphemy

Neither can I, and they're my two favourites. :D I kinda like the way they're finicky now (no ammo, unpredictable results, difficult use) - it feels a bit more like some actual freakish supernatural shit going on than your usual MP-fueled-magitek-laser-gun handwaving that characterizes most video game magic.

Just a thought: maybe you can take it even further - the more you use these things, the more weird shit happens. Ammo blows up or disappears, monsters suddenly come back to life around you, you occasionally get attacked by zealous "good guy" types that arbitrarily appear on the level... after a while the player starts making monster idle noises...
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby MartinHowe » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:02 am

DBThanatos wrote:-The knife animation... (in my opinion) looks like you are hitting your foe with the base of the knife instead cutting with the blade :P
-The casings In the minigun are expelled in a very strange way, it looks like DoomGuy is spitting the casings, maybe if those were expelled a little lower.
-The Shurikens should be fired a little later, because if you are precise, you can pause the game in a particular moment when you still have the shuriken in the hand(the weapon sprite) but the shuriken projectile is already in the air

Noted. I've actually started a list of things/bugs to look into now - oh the horrors of software maintainance :)

Vaecrius wrote:I kinda like the way they're finicky now (no ammo, unpredictable results, difficult use) - it feels a bit more like some actual freakish supernatural shit going on than your usual MP-fuelled-magitek-laser-gun hand waving that characterizes most video game magic.

Thanks guys, that was the idea; I put a lot of planning into making them temperamental with "actual freakish supernatural shit going on" (love that quote, btw); having a predictable "uses x amount of ammo1 and x amount of ammo 2" is precisely what makes many "black magic" weapon hacks, er, well, "unmagical". I mean, maybe you caught Bast on a bad day, or maybe the Devil's having a senior moment and can't remember where he put the evil spirits when he went to bed last night :P :P

You can RTFM (link at the top of the page) if ya want more info, but basically the primary attacks of all three profane items take a random amount of your health as ammo; the secondary attacks do the same and also require a random amount of Mana from Heaven ammo (since you are summoning up things from the abyss or the skies).

Regarding the AltFire of the Bible of Blasphemy: friendlies in ZDoom never revert to idle, even when all other monsters are dead, and that's not how these things should behave; in fact their current spawn idling behaviour is crap. Yesterday I started improved the idling states and will do more on that today as and when Real Life permits; I mean, just watch the real thing - alternate bouts of licking, slurping, tail-lashing, or just being f***king lazy and doing sod-all; if I can get a reliable "just run out of targets" detection going in DECORATE, having them randomly get bored and give up if they can't find a target after a minute or two would make them much much more like the real thing.

I'm also not totally happy about the Heart of Heresy AltFire. Don't get me wrong; IMO, it's a cooler effect than the Necronomicon in the WRW because you just utter a spell, see nothing happen for a few seconds, then a dead monster comes back to life - there's no spirit visibly wandering around looking for dead things; you feel in the game as if the spell alone magically zombified a dead monster to be your slave; it also allows you to resurrect anything that has a RAISE state. The problem for me is that simply resurrecting a monster is a cliche. Fortunately, the thought of something wandering around creating a monster from a body has given me an idea for a similar weapon, which I'll probably add as a use-once artefact called the "Egg of Evil".
MartinHowe

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20071118]

Postby MartinHowe » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:36 pm

Update (see page 1):
2007.11.18:
-Bible of Blasphemy zombie idling sprites cleaned up and improved idling behaviour added.
-As discussed, some work on improving the Heart of Heresy or adding another artefact that does it better. WIP, so not public yet.

God I hate drawing/editing sprites; to a programmer like me, it's as boring as hell and it SUCKS!!!!!

That's better :)

PS: I haven't forgotten the shuriken and other issues, but I do have a Real Life (sad, I know :))
MartinHowe

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:59 am

Lookin' good... though I just noticed now that sometimes the black magic stuff kills the user instantly. o_O

Crazy, yes, but maybe something that the player could live to regret might work better?
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby MartinHowe » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:43 am

Vaecrius wrote:Lookin' good... though I just noticed now that sometimes the black magic stuff kills the user instantly.

If your health is low, then yes that can happen; the profane items always use a small amount of your health as payment for possessing the c00l 1337 power of the g0d2 :P Also, if you run into the affected area of the primary attack phase while the attack is still in progress, the damage can still kill you, just like running towards a monster after firing a rocket at it.

Vaecrius wrote:Crazy, yes, but maybe something that the player could live to regret might work better?

This wasn't by design, but I agree it does make it seem more realistic (if we can use that word about the heart of D'Sparil :)).

Finally, as for making the AltFire zombies of the BoB give up and get bored if they can't find a target, detecting from the See state when a monster has a target or is just looking for one can be done with A_JumpIfCloser(ininity, "label"), because the jump isn't taken if the actor hasn't a target; note that "infinity" must be given as 32767 rather than 2147483647, because the codepointer uses a fixed_t instead of a float or int when calculating the distance; fortunately, most maps aren't anywhere near this big. It'd be nice if you could use -1 to mean "don't check the distance, just for a target".

So expect an update some time this evening (UK time).
MartinHowe

Re: [WIP] The Good Guys V2 [Updated P1 20071120]

Postby MartinHowe » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:25 pm

Updates (see page 1):

2007.11.20:
-Improved Vulcan Shotgun and Nemesis Minigun casings. Not perfect yet but better that they were.
-Fixed shuriken and caltrop (yes they had it too) animation bug

2007.11.19:
-Bible of Blasphemy zombies now randomly get bored if they can't find something to attack.
-Bible of Blasphemy zombies now have an extra idling behaviour restored from last time but done better.

Have to find a decent set of knife sprites next!
MartinHowe

Postby MartinHowe » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:17 am

Some work behind the scenes, update to follow; in the meantime, here's a taste of things to come:

Credit to WW for the original "GUN-NUT (tm)" box, LOL :)
MartinHowe

Postby Ryan Cordell » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:07 am

There's no b in 'Dum-Dum'/'dumdum' expanding bullets.
Ryan Cordell
PDA Man

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby TheDarkArchon » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:08 am

Blade Nightflame wrote:There's no b in 'Dum-Dum'/'dumdum' expanding bullets.

*facepalm*
TheDarkArchon
OUT!

Next

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects