Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

neoworm

Re: [GZDoom] Hell-Forged - (new alpha test up)

Post by neoworm »

Amuscaria wrote:I generally play Doom in widescreen windowed mode, without the stretching/tall-pixel, so I kinda forgot it was there.
It may work for DooM, kinda. But it definitely don't work for Hexen melee weapons. Original sprites takes the stretching into account and unstretching them makes things like the mace ridiculously stubby. Dealing with the stretched pixels is a hassle, but I think it's necessary.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

neoworm wrote:It may work for DooM, kinda. But it definitely don't work for Hexen melee weapons. Original sprites takes the stretching into account and unstretching them makes things like the mace ridiculously stubby. Dealing with the stretched pixels is a hassle, but I think it's necessary.
Never really noticed. I play in 16:10 for all ZDoom source games. Guess I got used to looking at the sprites the way they appear in the wad files.
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

I gave this a whirl last week, and here are my thoughts:

Pros:

In my 15+ years of playing Doom mods, this has the most authentic looking sprites I've ever seen. The new monster sprites look amazing and blend in perfectly with their vanilla counterparts, and I can understand why so many other mods use them. The best part about it is that even though they were drawn specifically with this mod's more medieval style in mind, they work just as well in more traditional tech settings.

The new weapons look great too, and I appreciate how the arsenal as a whole breaks the traditional pistol-shotgun-chaingun-rocket formula in creative ways and how every weapon retains its functionality throughout the whole campaign without being outclassed by something else later on. You know you're in for a treat when the pistol equivalent shoots archvile flames. The alt fires are a welcome addition too and made it that much more fun to discover which weapons work better in certain encounters.

Cons:

The scarcity of ammo did hurt my first impressions. While Ultra Violence (Grandmaster in this case) is my usual go-to difficulty, I fell back to the easiest setting here solely for the double ammo bonus. (Wheel of Pain's alt fire helps but it's slow to recharge so it isn't always ideal.) Consequentially, the Vorpal Blade feels too cumbersome for how frequently I was forced to use it. Sure, it does more damage at full charge and its alt fire one-shots most things, but to get to that point after using the charge I have to run up and slowly whack at a monster 20 times, which is exactly as fun as punching with the default fists in Doom. 95% of my deaths occurred while using it.

Suggestion-wise, I'd say it depends on what your intention was with the Vorpal Blade. If it's meant to be used more frequently than the other weapons as the bread and butter of the arsenal, I'd love to see it buffed in some way, either by making it a speedier weapon or by allowing players to use the charge attack at any time while scaling the power of the attack based on the amount of charge. If it's meant to be just another weapon that has better use in some situations than others, I think placing more ammo in the stages would help encourage experimentation. These are honestly minor things I could work around with either console commands or continuing to play in Squire difficulty, but it still may be something to think about.

Overall, I'm excited to see how this develops!
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@SpacemanStrife: Thank you for the testing, and your feedback is most welcome.

-Ammo Shortage
Spoiler:
All ammo balance is catered to my needs + about 5-10% to compensate for my knowledge of the maps.[/spoiler]

-The Vorpal Blade:
Spoiler:
Thanks again for your feedback. I will do some internal testing on adjustments when school lets out. :)
------------------------------
Future Weapon Changes:

-The Wheel of Pain:
Spoiler:
-Soul Weaponry & Armored Monsters:
Spoiler:
SpaceyStrife

Post by SpaceyStrife »

You're welcome! Thanks for the detailed responses.

I took your suggestion and tried the first three stages of Grandmaster with double ammo:
Spoiler:
Vorpal Blade, Wheel of Pain and enemy armor:
Spoiler:
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

On second thought, giving monsters armor that saves 100% is probably functionally the same, and more cumbersome, then just adjusting their damage factor to Soul damage to the appropriate amount.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Did the Director sculpt this morning. Will converted to sprites after final presentations.

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That Locust-esq legs are totally great and wicked on this one. Looks very slimmer than one of your custom arachnotron sprite! What color scheme it'll have? Full Black?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Captain J wrote:Looks very slimmer than one of your custom arachnotron sprite! What color scheme it'll have? Full Black?
Grey-black body armor, tan color bones ornamentation, and maybe white or pink-red brain part.

EDIT:
added new version with some bug fixes.
Tango

Post by Tango »

new monster progress looks excellent. looking forward to seeing more :D
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Tango wrote:new monster progress looks excellent. looking forward to seeing more :D
Thanks! :D

The new Bloodfiend and Devil sprites will be done by next Monday and following weekend, respectively. The boss monsters won't be made into sprites until the levels that need them are complete. The Assembly Line map doesn't require any and will be the next level to be finished. Probably won't get around to that until August.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

I'll be honest, I initially thought those were dainty female human legs on heels and that this monster was supposed to be some sort of meat puppet made of human flesh. Oh well. Cool design anyway.

Also, do you have a guide on how you convert your models to sprites?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

insightguy wrote:Also, do you have a guide on how you convert your models to sprites?
Nope. Kinda still experimenting with that myself.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

New Bloodfiend completed. Will be testing for animation issues. Will be included in the next update:

Please don't use these sprites until the next patch.

Doominer441

Re: [GZDoom] Hell-Forged - (new Bloodfiend p.279)

Post by Doominer441 »

I really like the death animation! Do they have XDeath frames?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”