Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

SamVision

Re: Hell-Forged - (Prerelease Beta Now Live!) Need Testers (

Post by SamVision »

Is a widescreen and high res titlepic not possible? I think ive seen it in other mods.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

It certainly is, since the original picture is more than enough to make it widescreen friendly. Not sure how wide I'd need to make it because it just gets squished.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Spoiler: here are some feedback!
I'm still having super fun with this version. Thanks for fixing some stuff!
Gez

Post by Gez »

Amuscaria wrote:It certainly is, since the original picture is more than enough to make it widescreen friendly. Not sure how wide I'd need to make it because it just gets squished.
There's the workaround of using a TITLEMAP and displaying your title screen either on a fullbright wall that the camera is facing perfectly in its center, or with an ACS HudMessage. It's hacky, fiddly and annoying to make though.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Captain J:

White Mushroom: Shoot the mushroom. :D

Textures: Fixed.

Blade + Barrel: I don't have a problem with them exploding from the sword.

Projectiles: They're just reskinned Doom enemies, so I think it's fine that they're using the vanilla projectiles. Also the Aracknight is using the a the purple projectile, which is new from DE. o_O

Aracknight: I'm not sure what you mean. They go into pain chances fine on my end. Even with the the Wheel.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I found the vanilla projectiles a little bothersome as well so I went ahead and replaced them myself with an addon, really easy to do. Also something about the Immolator that has always bothered me, the firing sound of this thing is way too loud and drowns out all the of sound effects, the more I use it the worse it feels.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Trying to work on a smooth version of HF for my personal use, but I can't even seem to get Hell-Forged to autoload.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Railgunner: Autoload on what? As an Iwad?
------------------------------------------------------
Got a question about sky textures. I wanted the sky to not repeat vertically, so I extended the custom sky textures to 256, thinking it would fill the bottom of the sky below the horizon line. It didn't. Instead the entire sky just shifts upwards and it makes it looks like I'm inside a well with the sky as the texture. Is it possible to have a sky that doesn't extend upwards? I guess I could use a skybox sector if need be.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Amuscaria wrote:@Railgunner: Autoload on what? As an Iwad?
Technically, as a PWAD - it's just that I want to be able to load it before the Smooth mod (otherwise Hell-Forged's native classes and animations take precedence, as Smooth variants are loaded first, then overridden by base HF).
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I'm assuming GZDoom loads wads in alphabetical order. Can't you rename the wads and put a 1 before the Hell-Forged wad, and a 2 before the the smooth one?
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

TheRailgunner wrote:
Amuscaria wrote:@Railgunner: Autoload on what? As an Iwad?
Technically, as a PWAD - it's just that I want to be able to load it before the Smooth mod (otherwise Hell-Forged's native classes and animations take precedence, as Smooth variants are loaded first, then overridden by base HF).
Just make a simple batch (.BAT) file to load all the files in whatever order you want.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Amuscaria wrote:I'm assuming GZDoom loads wads in alphabetical order. Can't you rename the wads and put a 1 before the Hell-Forged wad, and a 2 before the the smooth one?
I can't seem to autoload it at all - putting HF-099.wad in the autoload section and starting up GZD just gives me the base IWAD (in this case, Doom 2).

For now, I've resorted to working on a modified version of the WAD itself (so far, have smoother versions of the two swords, just because it was bothering me).
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Amuscaria wrote:White Mushroom: Shoot the mushroom. :D
Shoot the mushroom?... Argh crap. Why i didn't think that?
Blade + Barrel: I don't have a problem with them exploding from the sword.
I mean, the Sword is not on fire nor has demonic power. It's just a cold metallic sword that only causes physical damage now. I do really wonder it makes the barrel explode since Nail projectiles make them impaled and spill all the contained demon blood... Well, you're the boss!
Projectiles: They're just reskinned Doom enemies, so I think it's fine that they're using the vanilla projectiles. Also the Aracknight is using the a the purple projectile, which is new from DE. o_O
Well, i guess it's reasonable to just replace the rest of them enemy projectiles? Aracknights has it, so...
Aracknight: I'm not sure what you mean. They go into pain chances fine on my end. Even with the the Wheel.
Well... Forget it. Previous version had this glitch or something. They goes to pain state properly.

Also one more thing:

I'm not sure, but when Immorator's direct hit puff spawns closer to the wall like this, it repeats animation and the sound faster than light.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Captain J: Oh you were playing the 0.9b version. Yeah, I didn't know that armor prevented enemies from going into the pain-state until Blueshadow and Comet mentioned it. It was fixed with the ALLOWPAIN flag. Also, that fire bug. I've known about it for many versions, but have no idea what is causing it or how to trigger it (seems random). It might have something to do with the A_Tracer action because it seems to stop once you acquire a new tracer. I'm not sure how to fix it, tbh.

As for the barrel exploding, I don't have another a death state for it. So it's fine I guess. Makes about as much sense as punching the Doom barrels makes it explode *shrug*.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Spoiler: And here are more feedback. The end is near.
EDIT: Hot news! I've just updated my sound addon and it's ready to go. Now both player has rightfully individual voice, added minor but new sounds and replaced some awkward ones. Please check out the First Post!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”