Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

PRIMEVAL

Re: Hell-Forged - Update in Progress (Check Opening page)

Post by PRIMEVAL »

The artstyle of this is amazing...

[Edit] New Paged! Though I should probably say theme rather than style. Either way, it's sexy as hell.
Smiechu

Post by Smiechu »

Umm, I can't find the github link? :oops:
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Smiechu wrote:Umm, I can't find the github link? :oops:
It's not ready for release yet.
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

That new Sentinel gives me some Lord English vibes, I like that.
Amuscaria

Re: Hell-Forged - (updates on opening page)

Post by Amuscaria »

Computer back in action. Computer shop didn't find anything wrong with it, but I switched out the mobo and CPU just in case. Still testing if that was the issue.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Welcome back!! And can't wait to see your majestic stuff.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Are you going to use your marvelous artistic skills to draw promotional art for this?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

SamVision wrote:Are you going to use your marvelous artistic skills to draw promotional art for this?
Only the Titlepic and Interpic. if that counts. That's about it. Trying to keep my work to a minimum.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

If possible, you could probably make the Titlepic the ending pic as well. EVen less work! :D
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Computer troubles have set the project back a month or so. I switched out my motherboard and it seems to be better now. We'll see if that was the problem. I might have damaged the old one when I scrwed in the heatsink too tighly.

Unfortunately, Winterbreak is over and I go back to school tomorrow. I'll be graduating in a few months, so must take the rest of the time between now and March to finish my Thesis paper. I won't be working on Doom for the time being.

I've uploaded alpha with the newest finished content. Although it didn't progress as far as I would have hoped (should have finished another map), I would love to to get some feedback on the map and ammo balance on the new and revamped maps. Download link on opening page.
Captain J

Re: Hell-Forged - (new alpha test up)

Post by Captain J »

Alright. And it sure sucks when break ends really fast. But hey, hope everything goes really progressive lad.

I'll give it a try!

EDIT: So i did! Very gothic, grand and spooky. Sets up the Harmony. However, i found things that are very strange;
Spoiler: hear ye hear ye! The Feedback is here!
Other than those, it's really fun to play, and brings memories back. I really love your stuff, man. Please keep it up!
Last edited by Captain J on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

well that was hard as balls.
lowest difficulty setting and luds custom difficulty mod on (to lower damage taken to .5!) and I barely made it through the first level. I know I'm not that bad a doom player nor am I a doomgod but geez. I found it actually stopped it being enjoyable. I know that seems harsh but it's really put me off. its very hexen in gameplay style which is an obvious intended choice. In fact I went back and played a bit of hexen to see if its just me. I hated that too... so perhaps it is just me... I guess I never realised how much I disliked hexen!

the artwork and maps are well designed and the level of details in the overall design aspects are absolutely fantastic but being defeated six times by the opening map seems absurd so I doubt I'll be back for more...

sorry if that seems overly negative but its honest . dont get me wrong. I love the artistry. the story is fun and the overall theme fantastic but the gameplay bliss just wasn't there for me. I guess I'm more of a doom/heretic gameplay style guy...
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Captain J

1) The pick-up sound is intensional. I'm trying to make this look Vanilla Doomy with a different theme.
2) I'm still working on the sprites for these. Please check the front page. :D
3) I'm not sure how to get rid of the pick up message. Leaving the pick-up message blank (" ") doesn't seem to get rid of the message. As for the health projectiles getting stuck, nothing I can do about that one. In order for me to make it pickup-able, I have to remove the NOBLOCKMAP flag. But do that keeps it from going thru certain lines. I can try and add +STEPMISSILE, that might help.
4) I'll fill the hole with a 2-Sided texture. :)

@osjclatchford

What was hard about it? Lack of Health and Ammo, or just too many monsters? Or was it just the melee combat? The first map is the most Hexen Like, but all the following maps are more doom when the new non-melee weapons. There might be some ammo balance issues with the 2nd map, since I changed how weapon progression. I was also going to remove the Archvile and replace it with a Baron, but forgot. Did you get to the other maps? Or were you stuck on the first? HF is made to be challenging for me on UV, even knowing all the secrets. So might be hard for a average Doom player.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

why not just make the heal effect be instant instead of the homing projectile?
messes you up when fighting skeletons

the hexen esque melee combat gets kinda hard with doom enemies since they do that whole "combo attack" that hexen enemies don't
maybe you could make some ranged trash-mook to replace a good chunk of the imps, something akin to a zombieman-tier imp that won't use ranged attacks if you are close

i wonder how xaser is going to remix your weapons this time

also the first few rooms of the secret level are impossibly dark
i get that they are supposed to be dark, but i had trouble finding the door
a few torches/candles/wall lights near the door, even in the first room would be good

this secret was completely empty (UV)
Last edited by comet1337 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Amuscaria wrote:3) I'm not sure how to get rid of the pick up message. Leaving the pick-up message blank (" ") doesn't seem to get rid of the message. As for the health projectiles getting stuck, nothing I can do about that one. In order for me to make it pickup-able, I have to remove the NOBLOCKMAP flag. But do that keeps it from going thru certain lines. I can try and add +STEPMISSILE, that might help.
Maybe add some meaningful texts instead of trying to remove it if it seems to be impossible? And hmm, yeah. That might help. Also thanks for your reply! And more feedback will be prepared and come soon!
osjclatchford wrote:well that was hard as balls.
lowest difficulty setting and luds custom difficulty mod on (to lower damage taken to .5!) and I barely made it through the first level. I know I'm not that bad a doom player nor am I a doomgod but geez. I found it actually stopped it being enjoyable. I know that seems harsh but it's really put me off. its very hexen in gameplay style which is an obvious intended choice. In fact I went back and played a bit of hexen to see if its just me. I hated that too... so perhaps it is just me... I guess I never realised how much I disliked hexen!
Oh yeah... Believe me. Some monster variants are nastier and i think their damages got buffed too. Although i've cleared some levels, but it's still challenging to progress, heheh.

Anyway if i can give you some tip, use Wheel of Pain often; it's like a vanilla Chainsaw, but with some sweet advantages. You can stun-lock some enemies with Alt-fire and it also charges ammo. Primary fire is definitely strong and gives you some health bonus when killing the enemy with it.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”