Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

42_the_Gamer
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Hell-Forged - V. 1.00c

Post by 42_the_Gamer »

Wow. I am beyond words...in a good way. (I totally recommend playing this with Freedoom. It has a wacky enemy lineup, and if you play it with this mod, everything gets real awesome, real fast.)
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Does it actually work with Freedom? There are some re-paletted vanilla doom assets in HF. I'd imagine they'll conflict with Freedoom (assuming Freedoom sprites have the same sprite-names as Doom).
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Yeeeeahh, about that. Hell-Forged indeed has some sprites that replace existing vanilla sprites, that are also based on the same thing. For example, Pinkies are now Flesh Worms but certain rotation are unchanged. And Pain Bringer/Pain Lord's death animation is not even finished yet. So it's actually playable, but also it might look rather unfinished.

To be honest, it's a shame that Freedoom is even to this day... Not finished yet. I hope raymoohawk would return to this awesome project and finish the sprites one day.

EDIT: Perhaps the people of Doomworld might cook things up on ray's behalf. Root for them, people!
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

I've found a glitch in map03. Lifts in the Mauler room can be activated on their sides, which lowers parts of those lifts and shows empty textures.
https://imgur.com/DaBjQcn
https://imgur.com/HO7BG7T
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Problem fixed. The linked-sectors don't seem to work both ways, moving the linked-sectors doesn't automatically move the control sector too. Always assumed it was mutual. Anyway, fixed with a slight redesigned of the area. Thanks again for reporting! :)
worldendDominator

Can you explain me what Demon Eclipse was about? I was kinda aware it exists, and visited this topic a while ago, but didn't really remember much. Only that it was supposed to have several episodes with different themes and arsenals.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Demon Eclipse originates as a way to recycle assets created for the canceled partial conversion Hellstorm, though eventually everything from it was replaced. Demon Eclipse was about doing the Doom journey in reverse: Earth -> Hell -> Mars. You started on Earth just at the time of the invasion, then went through the gameplay to Hell, then there were two or three episodes in Hell, and then you'd emerge in the ruined base of Mars. Only the first two episodes were ever created, the project went through a lot of reboots and redesigns (especially the weapon sprites) before being dropped and replaced by Hell-Forged. At its most ambitious it was to have four or five episodes, each with their own sets of weapons, monsters, textures and decorations.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

To elaborate on what Gez has already said:
Spoiler:
hammer oz

Post by hammer oz »

Been awhile since I have done a review so lets get started

All in all this one was a banger. The whole heretic feel mixed with unique enemies and weapons ranging from different games was a real nice touch and the whole look of the mod was mind blowing however there where a couple of things that felt off. The super chaingun felt a little underpowered compared to its basic cousin and most times I often went back to using the nailgun also I think its secondary fire needs abit of an oomph at the cost of maybe more ammo consumption due to its piercing ability or have it similar to the nailguns secondary and make it a giant explosive shotgun blast. The hellsmith boss fight was abit of a nightmare and I feel the aracknights and arena restrictions with the lava are unnecessary since this guy has many ways he can turn you into a pile of mush in seconds for instance his barrage of homing rockets.

Great guns, Great feel, Great everything looking forward to the next episode :mrgreen:
worldendDominator

There are ways to make the Hellsmith fight easier if you're willing to explore.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

I think there could be option to avoid the Hellsmith battle (like all the previous bosses!) and just finish the game.

It left player with great sense of misery("i cannot make it, he was too tough") and make you wonder "do I really have to run away? what if I?"
It would also create immense urge to replay the stuff again to try to do better (unless someone want to be a "scientist" and spoil for himself the joy by checking in internet, or just go straight for the cheat - like I do :( ).
worldendDominator

In the final map, you can collect all keys without ever entering the hub. Is this intended?
Spoiler:
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

worldendDominator wrote:In the final map, you can collect all keys without ever entering the hub. Is this intended?
That is intentional. Each colored spoke-room around the hub has side exits to two of its adjacent rooms. All you need is to get the key of that room to traverse to the next area. This was made on purpose to allow the player to choose which path he wants to go on replay.
worldendDominator

If I spawn and take the juggernaut sphere in map 8, I can't get the Reaper anymore. No self-damage means no hellbolt jumping means no getting up in that room.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

worldendDominator wrote:If I spawn and take the juggernaut sphere in map 8, I can't get the Reaper anymore. No self-damage means no hellbolt jumping means no getting up in that room.
That is also intended. :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”