Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

osjclatchford

Re: Hell-Forged - (new alpha test up)

Post by osjclatchford »

Well I guess it was the lack of health for me... The melee is something easy to get used to but to be honest by the time I finally got off the first map and into map two I had about 2% health so lasted all of three seconds into map 2... That's when I got fed up and gave up on it for now... Maybe I'll try again in the future but I would be lying if I said my negative experience had not coloured my opinion of the mod a bit... To be honest I was cursing and steaming with anger at that point...
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

i think the culprit is the lack of stimpack equivalents
there's only the lifeforce pickups, and they are quite few and far apart
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Yeah I think you've hit the nail on the head here... also a future version might benefit from less/minor monster replacements on lesser difficulties as in classic doom. If it does not already?
Look... Call me crazy but I just felt it needed toning down a bit. Ease the player in so to speak. (God, it's like listening to myself 20 years ago when Plutonia first came out!) :roll:
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

comet1337 wrote:i think the culprit is the lack of stimpack equivalents
there's only the lifeforce pickups, and they are quite few and far apart
I was hoping the Large Health Bonuses would cover that. The Lifeforces were supposed to be rare on purpose. The LHBs used to give 5 HP, but I dropped them down to 3 when I drastically lowered the health of the Devil and Bloodfiends, as well as removed the super-overpowered elite monsters from Demon Eclipse (Archon of Hell, Diablolist, Deathknight, etc), and it made the game too easy for me. I can raise it back to 5. I think I'll revamp the lower difficulties a bit and remove the ranged monsters from the opening area of the first map.

Also, the low health on levels was to offset the other ways you can get health from the weapons. A Fully charged Vorpal Blade gives 25 health when you use the alt-fire and melee-hit someone. The Primary fire of the Wheel of Pain also gives health. Also, there are tons of secrets around with extra health and ammo around. I can adjust those as well if when I get more feedback regarding health balance.

Regarding the Darkness. Are you using GZDoom or QZdoom? I use GZDoom and the brightness is adjusted for it. I've tried in in QZDoom, and I know a lot of Hell-Forge maps are unreasonably dark in that port. I'm unsure how I can fix this atm.

-Fixed the items in that secret. I think I screwed up some placements when I move the green key from that room to another one.
SamVision

Re: [GZDoom] Hell-Forged - (new alpha test up)

Post by SamVision »

If you are running into a situation where lack of health is an issue but you don't want to add more health pickups, you can always try and give the player defensive abilities like a giant shield to protect themselves.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

Amuscaria wrote: Regarding the Darkness. Are you using GZDoom or QZdoom? I use GZDoom and the brightness is adjusted for it. I've tried in in QZDoom, and I know a lot of Hell-Forge maps are unreasonably dark in that port. I'm unsure how I can fix this atm.
gzdoom
sector lighting set to "doom"
can see ok with some of the other ones, but makes lighting look too flat
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Yeah, that would be why. I use Standard lighting.
Lt.blam

Post by Lt.blam »

Amuscaria, you seriously need to make a tutorial on how you make these kickass sprites. I mean, seriously, DAMN.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

So far I am enjoying the revised project very much. Melee is very tight yet rewarding, both for the Templar Sword & the Vorpal Blade. Even the new secondary functions prove to be useful in the correct/incorrect situations! That being said, the Hellfire Blaster and Vorpal Blade have become my favorite combo to use in the game. The first level was an excellent addition and progressed into the second very seamlessly. I must say that the visual updates are astounding as MAP02 still runs like crud "sorta" on my 64-bit architecture. I will continue to play in free time, maybe shoot some clips of my favorite moments in the mod. Thank you Eriance!
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Thanks! :D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

If anyone still having a health problem... Here ya go;
Captain J said... wrote:Anyway if i can give you some tip, use Wheel of Pain often; it's like a vanilla Chainsaw, but with some sweet advantages. You can stun-lock some enemies with Alt-fire and it also charges ammo. Primary fire is definitely strong and gives you some health bonus when killing the enemy with it.
EDIT: So i've beaten all levels. It was really challenging. However some secrets were too much cryptic. I also found some problems during the gameplay;

- Nailgun's Alt-fire costs only one nail, despite it fires two nails each shot. Intentional?

- Hellbolt's Alt-fire costs no ammo at all.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Captain J wrote:EDIT: So i've beaten all levels. It was really challenging. However some secrets were too much cryptic. I also found some problems during the gameplay;

- Nailgun's Alt-fire costs only one nail, despite it fires two nails each shot. Intentional?

- Hellbolt's Alt-fire costs no ammo at all.
- The Nailgun alt-fire was supposed to be more efficient against single targets or bosses, so the 1-ammo use was intentional.
- I left the Alt-fire-ammo-option flag by accident for the Hellbolt, because the old alt-fire was very different. Fixed for next release.
- Some secrets are easier to find than others on-purpose. Some require you to look on the minimap.

Thanks for the bug-reporting feedback. Much appreciated! :D
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

I gave this a fresh go this morning and I've got to say I really got stuck in this time.
roared through all four levels in no time! (well got lost a bit but thats just me, I'm always doing that!)
its a real blast! I'm not sure what I was on before but I have had flu for the last few days so perhaps it was hindering my gameplay abilities and reactions?

the environments have that whole gothic creepy vibe and high details that was best about heXen and also, with the weapons in the game as they are, it feels very quakey at times. the monster sprites are outstanding and further emphasize the theme beautifully. the sound and music are a lovely combination that also further enhances the gothic atmosphere. the use of doom64 bits in there blend in almost seamlessly however, that being said, thanks for the ear-worm that is the Aracknights idle sound. took me ages to remember where I'd heard it before
Spoiler:
wracked my brain for ages on that LOL! this is actually not a bad thing, reminds me of the sounds that were shared in other games of similar release times (quake ogre and duke3d pigcop roars for example).

I've got to say also that I found myself using the vorpal blade and immolator more than any other weapons. I hardly used the wheel of pain (unless health was low) but the nailgun was a lovely find (once I finally found one). ammo is well spaced for this as it stops you from over using it. the balance of ammo (and health) was good as I went on.

I failed to find all but two secrets. so missed out on the mauler and then the basilisk(?) on map four. this was a real irk but I really searched my ass off and could not figure out the secrets. I usume they are as cryptic as the kinds of secrets in doom64/hexen?
I got obsessed with finding a way into the nailgun cage on map 2 but never did figure it. clues possible for such secrets?

all in all a fantastic total conversion so far.
a culmination of years of your work that have resulted in a solid and enjoyable gaming experience that is a real one of a kind. looking forward to more soon!

Just one question. What's with the hands on the vorpal blade?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

osjclatchford wrote:Just one question. What's with the hands on the vorpal blade?
I was going to have the Vorpal Blade be part of a "Hell Armor" Biosuit when you pick it up in the first map, but have since changed my mind. I'm going to replace the hands with just the normal Templar-gloved hands in the next release. I thought the the biosuit Idea was cool, but no longer fits the gothic theme. Happy to hear that the maps weren't too crazy.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Ah, Makes sense now.
And, no. The maps aren't crazy... Just me...

Oh and I figured out the nailgun cage secret thing on map 2... I must have been blind! That was one easy secret. Didn't find many others though...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”