Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

Gez

Re: Hell-Forged - (0.9 Alpha released! P.296.) Testers Neede

Post by Gez »

I kinda liked the absence of decals (other than blood). Clean walls!

Speaking of decals, I saw something weird: a charging lost soul hitting a blue torch, and some blood splatter appearing on the wall behind the torch.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh, Things might get different if you really like to use the Immolator, though! :P

So anyway can we also expect some Vanilla Environmental Sound Effects(Like Switches and Lifts)? I still can hear them and honestly, i don't think those Sounds are not fitting anymore. They're like Electricity + Future. Not Magic + Medieval!
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Captain J: Thank you very much for the in-dept testing. These and the previous changes will be implemented by this coming Sunday. To answer your questions

Juggernaut Sphere: It lasts for 1 level, like the Berserk and Regenerator Sphere. It reduces your damage by 33%, like the green armor, and makes you immune to splash and damaging floors.

Vision Sphere: Doesn't the screen turn green and enemies light up with the Vision Sphere? It does on mine. Not sure why it's not doing it for you. It makes invisible/Stealth Enemies easier to see. I planned on making some stealth Torches that is only visible under the Vision Sphere to lead you to secrets later.

The Blank Script in Hellforge: The giant glass tank is supposed to hold the Body of a Seraph. I don't have the prop finished yet. Something of a hint to a future project. ;)

Bugged Out Conveyer Belt: Sometimes the conveyor belts bug out if a monster blocks the barrels on them. I can't really do anything about that other than move the Lifeforce bottle to somewhere else, which I'll do.

Random Phantom: The difficulty in the hubs for the last Map scales as you pick up the skull keys. It scales up to 3 times, each time spawning more monsters into the hubs where you haven't gotten the Key yet. I must have placed one of the spawning spots on top of the crate on accident. It will be fixed.

Hellsmith Fight: The damaging floors can be mitigated 2 ways - 1) Spawn and get a Juggernaut Sphere, it removes the floor damage. 2) Get the Green skull secret in the last map, it changes the lava to a regular floor. I've already removed his invulnerability, which should help a lot. I'll continue to tweak his abilities before the final release.

There will be a Doom 1 style intermission pic, yes. One where it marks the location of each of the maps.

@Gez: I have no idea what's happening with the torch. I didn't edit the vanilla Torches at all, I don't think. If I did, It must have been way back in DE's early development and I've long forgotten it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Amuscaria wrote:Vision Sphere: Doesn't the screen turn green and enemies light up with the Vision Sphere? It does on mine. Not sure why it's not doing it for you. It makes invisible/Stealth Enemies easier to see. I planned on making some stealth Torches that is only visible under the Vision Sphere to lead you to secrets later.
It's a user-side feature that Graf added at some point after being annoyed by stealth monsters. Go to "Display options->Hardware renderer" and you get "Enhanced night vision mode" and "ENV shows stealth monsters".

When ENV is on, the lightamp bonus from Doom gets a green tint and monsters are shown in inverted colors, and the torch from Heretic/Hexen get a golden flickering effect. The idea with the stealth torches is quite clever, unfortunately I'm not aware of a way to force ENV on and ENV shows stealth monsters on.
TaporGaming
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by TaporGaming »

When Episode 2 coming after 1.0 release?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

TaporGaming wrote:When Episode 2 coming after 1.0 release?
That's a long times away. I haven't even made the resources yet. Only got 4 models and some sketches.
-------------------------------
On a side note. Got a Creative Commons License question.

Can I change the a license, or retract it after I've already released something under a a CC license? Someone on the Freedoom team over at DW asked if I would change the license for the DE Shotgun from CC-NC-A to just CC-A. Not sure why A free project would need something to be potentially used for profit, but thought I ask. Second am I allowed to pull the resource from a project after I release something under CC, if I don't like how they're being used? Or am I committed at that point?
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

Amuscaria wrote:Can I change the a license, or retract it after I've already released something under a a CC license? Someone on the Freedoom team over at DW asked if I would change the license for the DE Shotgun from CC-NC-A to just CC-A.
Since you are the copyright holder, I believe the answer is yes. BTW, the short form of Creative Commons Attribution is CC-BY.
Amuscaria wrote:Second am I allowed to pull the resource from a project after I release something under CC, if I don't like how they're being used? Or am I committed at that point?
You may request the removal of resources you contribute. However, it may not go smoothly. At one point, Freedoom had to remove much of its music for being "ripoffs" of copyrighted music. More recently, CWolf requested that his stuff be removed. It resulted in this, and CWolf's resources are still in Freedoom.
Amuscaria wrote:Not sure why A free project would need something to be potentially used for profit, but thought I ask.
Freedoom's license allows for its resources to be used in commercial games. There's also this from the Freedoom README:
Freedoom README wrote:One of the things we want to be able to do is put this in GNU/Linux distributions (which can be sold or developed commercially).
BTW, aside from the other issues that everyone else has reported, there are some doors in HFE1M8 which cannot be opened more than once.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I've finally reached M8, and I've noticed this issue with the small lift in the central room: it's not lower-textured.
Spoiler:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Amuscaria wrote:No idea how to fix the Phantoms corpse unless I can define a custom crushed state that I wasn't aware of.
As a matter of Fact, there IS a Certain State named... Well, Crushed. I found this State and edited it. And guess what? It worked like a Charm! You should try it! Here's the example:

Code: Select all

Crush:
		POL5 A 0
		POL5 A 0 A_CustomMissile("NetScZib", random(5,50), 0, random(0,360), 2, random(12,75))
		POL5 A 0 A_CustomMissile("NetScZib2", random(5,50), 0, random(0,360), 2, random(12,75))
		POL5 A 0 A_CustomMissile("NetScZib3", random(5,50), 0, random(0,360), 2, random(12,75))
		POL5 A -1 A_XScream
        Stop
	}
}
Vision Sphere: Doesn't the screen turn green and enemies light up with the Vision Sphere? It does on mine. Not sure why it's not doing it for you. It makes invisible/Stealth Enemies easier to see. I planned on making some stealth Torches that is only visible under the Vision Sphere to lead you to secrets later.
Yes, yes. The Vision Sphere works as it intended. However the Visual Effect, the Powerup.Color after getting the Powerup is literally the same as Vanilla one. Seeing everything Green instead of just Brightening up the screen. Re-Scripting the whole thing might be very tiresome to just make it look better, so is there any way to make the Powerup ignore the enhanced light vision mode at OpenGL renderer Option?
Hellsmith Fight: The damaging floors can be mitigated 2 ways - 1) Spawn and get a Juggernaut Sphere, it removes the floor damage. 2) Get the Green skull secret in the last map, it changes the lava to a regular floor. I've already removed his invulnerability, which should help a lot. I'll continue to tweak his abilities before the final release.
My, those sounds absolutely useful for fighting against him!... If only i somehow can get the Green Skull key, that is. Because some maps are very large, with all respect. So finding the exit was pretty hard, hence finding the Secrets.

But i do hope there's someone whomever mastered all the Maps of Hell-Forged. I can't wait! Feels like waiting for another Issue of Nintendo Power. :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

Sequence break possible in M8:
Spoiler:
You have to climb on the lower wall, and from there you can jump over the bars. There are at least two ways to do that climb.
Spoiler:
Once you've done that, you can notice a few other issues in that area.
Spoiler:

What's the point of the magma vat secret in the mancubus area? It's extremely hard to get (the timing is so tight and there are so many corners to negotiate I'm not sure it's possible to actually reach the teleporter before it closes back down in single-player) but once you do get it (I admit I cheated a bit through a keybind set to toggle noclip so as to go below the pipe that you can't crouch under or jump above instead of going the long way around the vats) you're rewarded by nothing waiting for you.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Talon: Thanks for the clarification. Gonna need to reconsider what CC license I release the HF resources under before I do so. Will put more thought into it.

@Captain-J: Will have to consider scripting a new visual for the Vision Sphere. I wanted to to make it a thermal sight that lights up monsters without giving the green tint, but i'll look up how to do that. I saw the new Shaders can do that now. But alow priority, I'll have to finish up the other resources first. Since I can define custom crush states, I'll add a few custom sprites for medium, large, and huge bosses' crush state. :) Thanks for the notification.

@Gez: Fixed most of the missing textures ;). The Sequence break from the yellow hub is caused by the teleporter you screencapped earlier. It takes you back to the yellow area, since you can't go to the blue one without the key. Just in case you jump over the bars from the top where the Archviles were.

As for the magma vat secret. The power-ups you choose in the beginning spawn in difference spots around the hub you spawn them in, depending on which one you chose. Each hub has 3 spots, and the power-ups are spawned depending on the the tiers they are in. For passive power-ups, I spawn them in a general secret area. For a active one, like the Doomsphere, I spawn them near one of the 2 bosses. For a healing or health one, I spawn them near the end of the hub so you can maximize their utility when you health and/or armor is low. Some of the spots aren't optimized yet, so I'll play around with them. I'll also change it so that the secret tag is on the power-up instead of the sector they spawn into. I'll fix both the items not counting as secrets and the a few useless secret sectors.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

there's 5 areas, but only 3 needed to progress
you can open the other 2 areas with the switches after they've sunken to the ground
are you supposed to be able to clear all 5 sections? what if you want all of the powerups?
Gez

Post by Gez »

In the sentinel area I found another empty secret and also this inconsistency:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/TDEMrNF[/imgur]

The secrets could still have some less useful items like some ammo, armor or a lifeforce.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Comet:

It's intended that you only need 3 to open the Boss Arena. As forcing people to get 5 keys might be a bit much. The intent was to let the player pic which 3 they want if they needed to speedrun, but the completionist can get all 5. I'll need to add in a second-tier weapon into the black and white hubs, cuz right now there's no point picking those first because you can't progress thru them unless you get the secret, and the white secret can't be gotten without a Hellbolt anyway.

@Gez:

Some of them do. But some secrets are on top of 3D floors or in some other area where tagging the sector isn't the best way, so I have to put the tag on the power-up anyway. I'll pick the ones that can't have a secret sector tagged.
Last edited by Amuscaria on Thu May 02, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I believe it was already reported, but the white building's door to the blue building is non-repeatable, on both sides. And it doesn't stay open.

Also: that sure is a secret. I'm so glad I teleported in here. Now, how do I get out?
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/8Bvl99W[/imgur]

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”