Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

SamVision

Re: Hell-Forged - V. 1.00 Released! (See Page 1)

Post by SamVision »

It should spit corrosive bile at you instead of a lightning ball. Also are those quake 1 zombie things supposed to be melee only? Would make nice cannon fodder to spread across the levels.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

The wight is the swarming cannon fodder melee-only enemy. Basically just the Vorpal Blade charger.

The undead caco is just a reskin, like the Draugr is to the revenant.

The Putrifier is the bile-spitting flier. Rather not have 2 enemies that does the same thing.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Making some of the missing Hellstorm monsters that only had a concept drawing by Collin Potratz, starting with with the Abyss Crawler. Using Z-Sphere rigging made posing higher-definition sculpts much more manageable.
Spoiler:
Also made the model for the new Vulgar, HF-E2's replacement of the Imp.
Spoiler:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Looking good as always! Collin Potratz would be pleased.
ToxicMasculinity
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ToxicMasculinity »

That Abyss Crawler is looking fricken awesome so far. Extremely good work matching the concept of the drawing. Have you tried making a version where the spikes on it's legs angle downwards instead though, like they do in the drawing? I think it might look better because they look more like hair on the spider legs like that, as opposed to looking more like blades like they do now. They already look amazing as is, but if you haven't tried it yet, I think it'd be worth taking a look at.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Made the model for the second mini-boss for HF-E2, the Subjugator, and the Hellstorm Soul Harvester. I was going to use the Soul Harvester as the mini-boss by making it larger and more powerful looking, but I decided against it. Both models were made from the same base-mesh. The harvester will probably be used as the pain elemental equivalent for E2 (if its used). Left out the trailing cloak for the sprite-phase. Deciding rather to pick it or the Grotesque for that role.
Spoiler:
Here is the list of E2 monsters and the monsters they are intended to replace for E2. Not all of the monsters listed here will be made. Still deciding on the final cast, but will make most, if not all, of the models either way:

Spawn => Lost Soul (maybe)
Ghast => Lost Soul/Archvile Revive
Wight => Demon
Vulgar => Imp
Spriggan => Demon/Bloodfiend
Necrodemon => Cacodemon
Abyss Crawler => AracKnight (maybe)
Infector => Corpulent (maybe)
Death Incarnate => Draugr (maybe)
Soul Harvester => Pain Elemental (maybe)
Grotesque => Pain Elemental (maybe)
Succubus => Hellknight
Putrifier => Baron
Nightmare => Archvile
Subjagator => MiniBoss #1
Empusa => MiniBoss #2
Lord of Blight=> MiniBoss #3
Demon Matriarch => Final Boss
Gideon020

Re: Hell-Forged - V. 1.00a (See Page 1)

Post by Gideon020 »

Outta curiosity, will this result in new weapons as well?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Famished, Horned, Decayed and more. I really love the design going on there!
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@TM: will fix the legs.

@Gideon: there will be 2 new poison weapons that will replace the Fire weapons. They will both be homing weapons by default that deals additive DOT.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

I love how this went from, "I give up on Demons Edge" to "I'm working on a badass follow-up to my seminal 1st episode."

Keep up the great work, I loved Hell Forged.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Scuba Steve: Thanks! Getting and learning some basic ZBrush definitely made all the difference. :P
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

I assume this line in the OP is no longer relevant:
-If you are using Dynamic lights, download the GLDefs addon by Skymarshal, as HF was made with no Dynamics lights included.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Amuscaria wrote: @Gideon: there will be 2 new poison weapons that will replace the Fire weapons. They will both be homing weapons by default that deals additive DOT.
Awesome. Demon Eclipse intrigued me with the 'episode-appropriate arsenal' angle and I'm happy to see a variant of this in action here. As another point of curiosity, if an episode 3 gets made after you finish episode 2, do you think you'll package all of them together into a single megawad or even create a full-blown IWAD out of this?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@m8f: Nope, that no longer applies. I've included Skymarhall and Samvision's Gldefs into the wad itself.

@Gideon: I will package the entire thing into 1 package yes, but I can't make an iwad from it, since it uses the vanilla Doom 2 assets.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

I just completed map01 and started map02 on HMP, and this is a fantastic mod. I don't remember Demon Eclipse all that well, but I do remember it having kind of stilted and reminiscent of contemporary Tormentor maps--there's none of that here. Map01 absolutely delighted me, especially the subtle use of room over room that I didn't even notice, as I was playing with mouselook disabled, until I came to the bridge across the eaves of the chapel, and then, having noticed it, I then realized that yes, this is indeed a truly 3D space.

The only problem is that there are major issues with pixels of incorrect and apparently fullbright colors in software mode:

(Don't mind the status bar, the screenshot command always does that in software mode nowadays)

I solved this by generating a COLORMAP, as Doom's does not work with the Hellforged palette.

Also the promise of a followup centered around fetid swamps and putrefying enemies sounds right up my alley. Hail Papa Nurgle!
Attachments
hellforgedcolormap.wad
COLORMAP for software users.
(8.53 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”