Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

comet1337

Re: [GZDoom] Hell-Forged - (Hellsmith sprites preview p.293)

Post by comet1337 »

hellforged summer shareware episode
aww ye
Amuscaria

Re: [GZDoom] Hell-Forged - (0.9 Alpha Released! P.296)

Post by Amuscaria »

Thanks all. In the final stretches now. :)
-------------------------------------------------
Hell-Forged 0.9 alpha has been completed and ready for testing: https://uofi.box.com/s/kcyg2nlg1hde2kfbuaq007x5z8bru833

Been working on this patch for the last 4 months, so it's pretty big. This alpha is fully-playable - All weapons, monsters and levels are fully implemented (although some minor tweaking might take place later). Single-player, Co-op, and Deathmatch are fully functional.

This is the final Alpha-test prior to the 0.99 Beta. All of the major pieces are completed, and only a few minor assets need to be made.

Changes:
Spoiler:
There is a bug with the Smallfont and StatusFont within Fontdefs that I do no know how to fix. For some reason, the game isn't using the new characters/smallfont i've defined, even though I've defined it within Fontdefs. If anyone could troubleshoot for me, it would be much appreciated.

Note that the final map hasn't been tested as extensively as I normally do. I've ran thru it about 5- times under UV with and without secrets, and only once under the 2 easier difficulties. It is beatable on UV, although its definitely on the hard-side. The new Hellsmith is ridiculously hard, which I might need to tone down before the final release, although beatable (with some secrets ;)).

The last map is different from my usual one as it gives a lot more player freedom than the previous maps. You can select power-ups spawn in the different hub areas, and the red-hub is slightly randomized during the opening of the map. I was trying out different mapping strategies for later projects.

Thanks in advance for testing. Feel free to let me know if you find any bugs.

Screenshots for HF1M8:
Spoiler:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Hell-Forged - (0.9 Alpha released! P.296.) Testers Neede

Post by Captain J »

Alright! I guess it's time to bring some Medieval on my Ass. Thanks for the Download Link, and i'll playtest this right now.
TaporGaming
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by TaporGaming »

Are we almost 1.0? They are more fixing stuff?

And also the Hellsmith resembles Legendary Cyberdemon's Sounds
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

STARTAN located on the first map
on the bridge after the elevator where the first large health bottle is

and a misplaced looking texture near the soul beam at the secret level

the new sword feels SO much better
but nailgun feels extra wimpy
i guess the increased ammo makes up for it
though the sword really helps with ammo issues
i don't know if it's intentional, but the soul beam can gain charge from blood barrels, and they don't explode

and lastly:
if you swing the sword and hit an exit switch at the right time, you can make yourself reflective-invulnerable for the next level, as long as you don't swing again

EDIT:
if you fall off the lift up the tower in map 7, you get locked out nvm, i missed a tele
Last edited by comet1337 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

Sweet! I've been looking forward to a new release for a while now, especially for the new fonts.

I found a bug on HF1M4. If you enter this secret area, you can jump out of it, kill the 4 Araknights in the area, and then proceed straight on to the "Dead Simple" arena. No keys required.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Once you pickup or select the vorpal blade, you won't be able to select the other sword again, and there are times when I want to use it over the vorpal blade since it's not as slow.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Talon1024:

I could have sworn the dead simple doors dont open until you hit all 3 key swtiches. I'll fix that tonight after some testing. Might be a faulty script. Thanks for reporting.

@Ichor:

That is intentional. Both weapons have the same attack speef. Or they should. If not ill need to fix it.

@Comet: Could have sworn I fixed those textures already. Thanks for finding them. Ill fix the bloodbarrels by making them not puff. The vorpal blade is an easy fix. Thanks for notifying me of that. Didnt even know that was possible.

As for th whimpy nailgun, i nerfed the damage because its damage scales with the number of enemies lined up. I made the damage closer to the chaingun but buffed the ammo gained and capacity.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

in the last level, the one of the white area connecting doors closes automatically and can't be re-opened
and the armor secret gets you stuck, unless you crouch. and then gets you stuck, unless you noclip

fuck the final boss, how do you beat it legit? because i cheated
all its attacks are super fast and can instakill you
it kept doing its summon over and over, and just dragging things out
the only cover being next to a damaging floor makes things extra painful
for the attempts i tried to do without cheating, i just ended up cheesing it from behind cover with the soul beam and tanking the floor damage

since you're using zscript already; i could whip up something for the nailgun to do more consistent damage / limit the piercing if you want to give me some details

are these spooky individuals an allusion to something in the future?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Comet

The Hellsmith is a bit hard huh? :lol: I think I'm going to remove the summoning power from him, or at least change how it's triggered. I'm most likely going to remove the invulnerability ability. He is beatable, although you'll need to spawn in the right power-ups and get the green-skull secret.

You'll need either a Juggernaut Sphere spawn in one of the rooms, which makes you immune to splash damage and floor damage and reduces damage by 33%, Or get the Green skull switch hunt secret spawns in an infinite ammo orb in the Boss arena as well as turn off the lava floors (preferably you get both). Spawn in a Regenerator Sphere in another room to help you passively get health back (so you can save the Rejuvenator for just in-case). Finally, get the 2 Soul weapons (both secret). The Soultaker-Beam is in the Black room, it's right in the opening room. The Reaper can be gotten from the White-Hub's secret area. In the second Sentinel room, there is a hallway on the upper level without a door, you will see 4 platforms with Soulspheres on them. You have to rocket-jump using the Hellbolt to get to a teleporter. Make you you don't have the Juggernaut Sphere, otherwise the splash-immunity will make it impossible to get up upto the teleporter, which will take you to the secret plateau area with a small fort. You get the Reaper from there. It should be pretty easy with the Reaper to knock the Hellsmith down to 1000 HP, from which he starts spawning his Effigies. Use the Soultaker to kill him rest of the way (as it charges up pretty fast on a boss, since it was made to kill bosses). All of the Effigies are soul-type enemies, so they die extra fast to Soul-damage, and they drop plenty of ammo. You should be able to kill the effigies with the soul-weapons easily before the Hellsmith exits his invulnerability state, and just hide behind one of the pillars when he attacks.

Like I said, he needs tweaking. :D

Also, all of those engravings are final bosses from planned Episodes - The Demon Matriarch, Overlord, Tarasque, and Dracolich (and the last being the Hellsmith), an Unholy Quinity :P. They were the old Demon Eclipe Episode 3 bosses, but i've split them into their own episode to limit the scope and work needed. The monsters are certainly doable now with the 3D-to-Sprite method I've learned, but the entire episode is still a challenge. I'd doubt I get to all, if any, of them. Keeping my ambitions constrained until I get HF V1 done. Then we'll see where I can go from there. ;)

The second episode will most likely happened, as I've already modeled 4 of the 10 new enemies I need.

The Nailgun is working as intended already. Thank you for the offer, though. I'm not sure what ZScript can do, unless it can tune the damage of Fastprojectiles, I'm not sure it can be fixed. I want it to rip indefinitely, since it doesn't rip bosses. And the damage is about where I wanted, close to the Chaingun. Before it was just melting enemies faster than the Soultaker, which made the ST redundant.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

well i did it anyway
load alongside hellforged

changes the normal nailgun's normal primary attack to deal chaingun damage (5 X 1-3)
deals damage only once per enemy, making it consistent regardless of extra fat hitboxes
respects +NoBossRip flag, added optional pierce limit, no longer makes ricochet noises on enemies (unless they have armor), and inherits from fastprojectile (includes protips in the comments)
all gzdoom 3.7.2 compatible
Attachments
hf_nail.wad
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Gez

Post by Gez »

I found a minor issue in HF1M3: a line to lower a catacomb block can be activated repeatedly, creating an inescapable pit.
Spoiler:
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Comet

In that case, I will use it. TYVM :D

@Gez

Thanks, will fix soon. :)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Played a bit and here are some possible feedback. Not sure if i found untold yet new Problems, but here you go:

- The Small Fire coming from Immolator's Alt-Fire Flame seems clipping through higher places. I used it on some Downed Lift and killed a Pinky way above it.

- Since Protagonist is Female, can we expect the Custom HUD with her Head Sprite, or Custom Player Sprite for the mod by any chance? Oh, and maybe Small Fonts, too. Since it's still Vanilla one.

- Some idea for the Wheel of Pain. Why not make the Green Energy Orb, an Item coming from the Enemy after Killed, give the Player One Health Bonus when they're at Full Health? Yeah. Just one. I know this is going to be Unbalanced if the Value was higher.

-
At HF1M2 Courtyard, You actually can Climb those Green Torches and Climb that Fence if you're Agile enough. And you would get stuck too.

- I think i forgot or something, but is Vorpal Sword's Refill thing Intentional? Because it Completely Fills the Power to 100% each time i clear the Map.

- Phantom's Crushed Corpse is colored Red for some reason, although it bleeds Bright Blue Ectoplasm.

It's not finished, though! I'm going to Update more once i beat the game. Until next time-
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Captain J:

I can fix the small immolator fires. I was thinking about just removing the damage from them entirely and just have the big fire do the damage as to no put unnecessary strain on any multiplayer games with a bunch of little projectiles that are constantly calling A_Explode. The original reason why they spawned fire was to make sue of them for a conveyor-belt secret in Map 5 that the player could use the belt to carry the small frames into an partially opened door and trigger a secret, but that was never done.

There will be both male and female player skins, along with the appropriate Mugshots yes. :)

I think the WoP works fine as is. Having to kill something to get health makes the weapon too weak to be worth using.

The Green gate in the Courtyard used to be the secret exit, but I changed the idea for better continuity. I can fix the gate now that its no longer being used.

No idea how to fix the Phantoms corpse unless I can define a custom crushed state that I wasn't aware of.

Thank you for the feedback. I will make the changes by the next patch. :D

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”