Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Hell-Forged - V. 1.00c

Post by Captain J »

That big doom knight statue is just GORGEOUSLY GOTHIC! Props with such backstory are definitely a nice thing to see.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Is there another way to force a widescreen image (like the Interpic) to stretch to the sides of the screen without using forced 4:3 aspect ratio? Using force aspect ratio stretches out all of the other sprites as well. However, if I don't, the wide screen image gets squished to a portion of the window.

Image (normal)
Image (wide)

EDIT: Another thing. How does one make the Intermission Script image animation play only once?

I'm trying to add the secret level intermission map location. I want a temple to rise out of the water as you travel to it, but then loop only the last 2 frames after the first 4 frames plays once. I tried using IsTravelling and IsEntering separately but the animation just loops as I'm traveling between the maps. Is it even possible to make an animation play only once? The documentation doesn't indicate whether this is possible or not.

(Current intermission script)

IfTravelling HF1M8 HF1M0 Animation 331 4 8 { WIE109C WIE109D WIE109E WIE109F WIE109A WIE109B } <== I want the first 4 frames to play once then only loop the last 2 frames.

IfEntering HF1M0 Animation 331 4 8 { WIE109A WIE109B}

IfVisited HF1M0 Animation 331 4 8 { WIE109G WIE109H}
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

So glad this exists.
Amuscaria, you've exceeded all highest standards in Doom graphics man, respect!
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Amuscaria wrote:Is there another way to force a widescreen image (like the Interpic) to stretch to the sides of the screen without using forced 4:3 aspect ratio? Using force aspect ratio stretches out all of the other sprites as well. However, if I don't, the wide screen image gets squished to a portion of the window.
I'm not quite sure, but would [wiki=GameInfo_definition#FullscreenAutoaspect]this[/wiki] help?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@NMN: :wub:

@Blue Shadow: Hm, need to update. Still using 4.20. I'll give this a try. Thanks!

EDIT: Huh. I don't even need to use the Fulscreenaspect ratio line in Gameinfo (using it doesn't work, causes strange offsets). Simply updating to 4.4.1 fixed the squishing problem. :P
Gez

Post by Gez »

See Nash's WidePix thread for most of the discussion on getting aspect ratio correct on widescreen images. (Feel like going to 560x200 for future-proofing? :p )

For the animation issue, I don't think the feature supports animations that don't loop, and even less animations that only loop one part of their animation. But you know what? something you can try is to just go hog-wild on copy-paste and get an animation that will take a long, long time to loop back to the start.

First format your code like this:

Code: Select all

IfTravelling HF1M8 HF1M0 Animation 331 4 8
{
	WIE109C
	WIE109D
	WIE109E
	WIE109F
	WIE109A
	WIE109B
}
Then select the last two lines of pic names and ctrl-c, then just keep your fingers pressed on ctrl-v for a while.

That said I did not see a difference between these two frames in the graphic you posted.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Gez wrote:See Nash's WidePix thread for most of the discussion on getting aspect ratio correct on widescreen images. (Feel like going to 560x200 for future-proofing? :p )

For the animation issue, I don't think the feature supports animations that don't loop, and even less animations that only loop one part of their animation. But you know what? something you can try is to just go hog-wild on copy-paste and get an animation that will take a long, long time to loop back to the start.

First format your code like this:

Code: Select all

IfTravelling HF1M8 HF1M0 Animation 331 4 8
{
	WIE109C
	WIE109D
	WIE109E
	WIE109F
	WIE109A
	WIE109B
}

Then select the last two lines of pic names and ctrl-c, then just keep your fingers pressed on ctrl-v for a while.

That said I did not see a difference between these two frames in the graphic you posted.
I thought about using copypasta, but the documentation says it only supports up to 20 frames of animation. (The water changes in the 2 frames. I probably pasted the wrong image) I'll just leave the shark temple visible until a future update adds non-looping animations. Or maybe there is a Z-Script solution. Either way thanks. Honestly, not a vital feature. But I thought it be cool for the shark to come out of the water :P.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Finished the super-secret map, "Sharknadoom!". Uses its own Texture set. Decided to do some rampant portal abuse. It's about the same size as the 3rd map, but much much harder. Still looking for a Carribean theme midi that fits the island paradise theme. I'm using something from Pirate Doom for the time being.

Still needs a custom sky, and I need to finish the 4-5 custom enemies for it before I can properly test. Enemies are as follows:

Manshark: basic ranged enemy like the Imp.

Demonshark: Basic melee enemy like the pinkies.

Sharkopter: medium flying enemy like the Cacodemon. Chubby shark with attached hell-powered propellers that launches homing missiles.

Sharkbrute: heavy ranged enemy on the same level as the Baron (might cut this one).

Megalocopter: Final boss. Huge version of the Sharkopter with various weapons.

Will get these done whenever free-time allows.
undeadmonk354

Re: Hell-Forged - Final Super-Secret Map Completed (P.391)

Post by undeadmonk354 »

Well, for the Sharknadoom's Sharkbrute enemy, it can be kept in the game.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Shark shark and shark... Would be nice if you put some street sharks reference to it. :P

Anyway about the music, why not use Sid Meier's Pirates! soundtrack?
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

baby

shark

doo doo
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

Amuscaria wrote:Still looking for a Carribean theme midi that fits the island paradise theme. I'm using something from Pirate Doom for the time being.
Try "Last Resort" from the Revolution! MIDI pack. Ask Jimmy for permission first, though.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Jimmy's MIDI pack policy is:
The final product will be a sort of "MIDI album" - a zipped archive of MIDIs, named and credited to their respective creators, complete with a TXT file and, most importantly, a WAD that can be loaded to replace the music. It will be uploaded to /idgames - and the text file will permit the reuse of the tracks in order that the pack may serve as a complete resource of music for the Doom community.
Emphasis his, not mine.

Still, asking him may be a way to get an even better-fitting MIDI out of it, so why not. :P

Also I thought the super secret level was only gonna feature the demon sharks, but it's getting a full roster of Doom monster types with imps, cacos, and bosses too? Jawsome. :D
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Here's a rough concept of the first 4 enemies.
Image Image
undeadmonk354

Re: Hell-Forged - Final Super-Secret Map Completed (P.319)

Post by undeadmonk354 »

I see that the concept art of the shark enemies look beautiful, especially the SharkBrute.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”