Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [GZDoom] Hell-Forged - (Behemoth animation - P. 287)

Post by ramon.dexter »

Wow...I'm missing words...just wow... :shock:
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [GZDoom] Hell-Forged - (Director sprite set - P. 286)

Post by StroggVorbis »

I can't quite put my finger on it, if it's the lighting, shading, or choice of colors, but the behemoth looks like something from Fallout 1 & 2 :D
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I am missing some color variation on the Behemoth. Maybe some bloodstains to keep it in line with stock DooM monsters? Or some other way to incorporate a one more color to the scheme.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

neoworm wrote:I am missing some color variation on the Behemoth. Maybe some bloodstains to keep it in line with stock DooM monsters? Or some other way to incorporate one more color to the scheme.
To further add to this, the tanks on the back look way too clean to the point of looking blank, and the folds of fat on the back frames look kind of weird.

On a more positive note, you should definitely consider putting up a tutorial on how to create monster sprites out of models by rendering them, posing them, digitizing them, etc. Not only do these recent works show a surprising amount of faith to how the original Doom monsters look, the OG monsters themselves were actually created by digitizing models.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@Neoworm + Hellstorm Archon

Will fix. Adding some pink bloody regions around the mouth and the joint between the guns and the upper arm, like the corpulent. Will add some stripes on the back and arms as well, like the Mancubus, since it looks a bit blank atm. I'll also changed the tusks to another color since they just disappeared when I converted to the Doom palette.

Already working on a tutorial. Started it a month ago here on the forums, but then it became too much of a pain in the ass to keep going back and forth between Imgur and the BBCode just to rewrite and correct the images. Will be doing it in InDesign and converting it to PDF when it's done. Will finish these whenever work schedule allows. Probably by the end of the year.

@DabbingSquidward

Everything Zbrush renders out tends to look plastic for some reason even with non-plastic materials. :P
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I thought you would know how to improve it. Looking forward to seeing the finished version.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Egads, incredible.

Just out of curiosity, do you still use the same methods from your old spriting tutorials? I need to get like you, man.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

TheDoomGuy wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you still use the same methods from your old spriting tutorials?
Which ones? Do you mean how I draw out the silhouettes prior to coloring? I still use that method when drawing from scratch, although I lay down the major color and shadow/highlight regions then just blend. I made a tutorial on Doom-style explosions some time back, that's basically how I do monsters when they're not made in 3D.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Amuscaria wrote:Which ones? Do you mean how I draw out the silhouettes prior to coloring? I still use that method when drawing from scratch, although I lay down the major color and shadow/highlight regions then just blend. I made a tutorial on Doom-style explosions some time back, that's basically how I do monsters when they're not made in 3D.
Well, basically. Your old tutorials have dead links now so I can't really see, but from what I remember that was it. :P So for some monsters you do 3D and sprite-ify them?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

TheDoomGuy wrote:
Amuscaria wrote:So for some monsters you do 3D and sprite-ify them?
All of the 4 boss monsters I did recently was made from 3D sculpts using ZBrush. The smaller ones are easy enough not to use 3D.

EDIT:

Here are the sprite-sheets for the Hellduke, Director, and Behemoth (with the bare-minimum needed to be functional). Play with them if you want, but don't release it to the public until December this year. I'll be adding the additional attack animations by then to complete the monsters' additional attack functions.

I'll be going on a 8-12 week hiatus for school later in the week, so no major updates will be made for this time.

Hellduke:
Spoiler:
Director:
Spoiler:
Behemoth:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Amuscaria on Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
YukesVonFaust

Re: [GZDoom] Hell-Forged - (mid-boss monster sheets up - P.

Post by YukesVonFaust »

These are straight-up fantastic! also good luck in school too!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Every sprites where they die are obviously engulfed with hellfire, with pure quality and awesomeness. I really love the way you followed one of the vanilla doom rule and i quote; Boss monsters should explode upon death!
Tango

Post by Tango »

the sprites all look excellent, really well done. love the look of the director in particular. thanks for always being open about sharing your work; you do a great service to the community.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Looks like the Behemoth ought to still be a blocking obstacle after death. Perhaps the back of his armor could look more damaged from the explosion of the three tanks? Those white tubes could be melted away at least.

I feel like the monsters are shinier than the original. The Behemoth nearly looks to me like it'd fit in Duke 3D. That said, they're still the best sprites I've ever seen made for the game, with more-than-professional quality.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Gez wrote:Looks like the Behemoth ought to still be a blocking obstacle after death. Perhaps the back of his armor could look more damaged from the explosion of the three tanks? Those white tubes could be melted away at least.
I'd have to agree with Gez in regards to the Behemoth, in regards to how the corpse should look more damaged so it doesn't look like a blocking obstacle after death. Perhaps have the armor jutting into the Behemoth's soft flesh while showing a spinal cord blasted into pieces while more of its organs are slowing oozing out of its new exit wound on its back?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”