Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

Lagi

Re: [GZDoom] Hell-Forged - (Director sprite set - P. 286)

Post by Lagi »

Amuscaria wrote:
Lagi wrote:i download the HF -v06c [check also -v06b]
but (when checking in console) seems a lot of thing is missing textures.
Did I miss something with this mod, to launch it properly

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/7f8c/ ... 8gh76g.jpg

can you advise?
Are you using Doom or Doom 2? You need Doom 2 to run the mod. It looks like you're using Doom 1 or Ultimate Doom. I've added a notice to the front page. Thanks for reminding me.
using doom2 fix the textures - thanks.
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

The Directors look really nice, but their color scheme doesn't look very hell-techish (i.e. compared to the Aracknights, they look out of place, too shiny looking and just uniformly gray), especially since your stated color plan was "Grey-black body armor, tan color bones ornamentation, and maybe white or pink-red brain part."
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Doominer441 wrote:The Directors look really nice, but their color scheme doesn't look very hell-techish (i.e. compared to the Aracknights, they look out of place, too shiny looking and just uniformly gray), especially since your stated color plan was "Grey-black body armor, tan color bones ornamentation, and maybe white or pink-red brain part."
I changed my mind after some color-scheme testing during the production phase. I gave it the colors of the Mauler, which made more sense to me.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

this is probably the best doom-like game i ever played.

the weapon selection is a master piece. Very original and tasty. The symbiosis between them are very nice [collect demon blood with whell of pain, to use hellbolts]. I dont understand what for is templar sword (its used very shortly), and imo it leave bad impression. Vorpal sword could have backslash animation. Same forehand slash over and over again is little boring. Also its hard to make proper timing for repulse enemy projectiles, due to long cooldown of slash. Also when you are cornered by monster, would be nice to have vorpal sword alt-fire at least knock back the enemy. I dont understand nail gun alt fire difference, but maybe i dont play long enough. Immolator is great, and have well thought out alt fire.
I personally love melee combat, and would like to see a way to protect my self better (some shield mechanism like in Brutal Hexen), to knock back many enemies, and to heal during melee (maybe the alt-fire of wheel of pain can be twisted to heal?).

map design is top notch. No nonlogical hidden access. Lots of secrets to find. Level are complicated, but not boring/ repetitive, and has lots of characteristic place. Liquid places (swimming in blood) awesome. Amount of pick ups is good. I would change color of small health vial to green, to avoid similarity with demons blood. Health balance is tights, but fair - makes game interesting. Many places there are decoration that seems to be light source, but the room/corridor is very dark.

enemies are nice, although too many are invisible. Also there is missing some equivalent of zombie-guy. You know weak as piss, harmless punchbag, dying from fart.

the ambient of level is remarkable. Textures are excellent.
Sounds are balm for ear. The heart beating of wheel of pain or whispering sounds
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

@ Lagi: Thank you for the the feedback :). I will definitely change the color of the Large Health Bonuses to Green, to match the other health items. The armor items will also have a blue-aura around it to make them more visible and be consistent with the color themes. The Vorpal blade is getting a 2-handed swing animation for the alt-fire, whenever I have the time to make it. I've replaced most of the Spectres with Demons in the first map, so there should be less invisible things. I'll stick to using Spectres and Phantoms only in dark areas from now on.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Amuscaria wrote:have a blue-aura around it to make them more visible and be consistent with the color themes..
sounds "trashy" - you sure it would look good? currently the armor pickups are dope, i would leave them as they are. BTW armor in HF is working much better, than in other doom-games, where it is a thin layer, that quickly gets scrapped - it feels like paint, not solid material that protect you.

Also there is armor item - shield. Do you consider some active representation of it, in form of side weapon? I would love to block.
Amuscaria wrote:The Vorpal blade is getting a 2-handed swing animation for the alt-fire, whenever I have the time to make it.
this is not fixing the esthetic problem. The main-basic attack would still be repetitive. Mirroring the sprite to do other side slash will looks odd (hand)?

also Vorpal would benefit from none-powered alt-fire - multi-target knockback, with none/less than standard dmg [please]. Same animation for unpowered alt-fire slash will do the trick also.
Amuscaria wrote:I've replaced most of the Spectres with Demons in the first map, so there should be less invisible things. I'll stick to using Spectres and Phantoms only in dark areas from now on.
excellent. most jarring thing now are the light sources not brightening area around. It seems as easily fixable [ i know null about modding doom engine, so excuse my ignorance].
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Adding a shield and extra animations is beyond the scope of this mod at the moment. That would be something I'll look into after the HF v1.0's completion. For the time being, I'm keeping the mod's weapons as is unless there's some sort of bug. I need the rest of my time making the last 2 monsters and 4 levels, along with all the other miscellaneous graphics assets I'll need to fully polish the project to be on par with the original Doom in terms of quality.

EDIT:

Behemoth Sculpt complete and posed, more or less. Spriting starts tomorrow.
Spoiler:
el armadillo2

Post by el armadillo2 »

Amuscaria wrote:Adding a shield and extra animations is beyond the scope of this mod at the moment. That would be something I'll look into after the HF v1.0's completion. For the time being, I'm keeping the mod's weapons as is unless there's some sort of bug. I need the rest of my time making the last 2 monsters and 4 levels, along with all the other miscellaneous graphics assets I'll need to fully polish the project to be on par with the original Doom in terms of quality.

EDIT:

Behemoth Sculpt complete and posed, more or less. Spriting starts tomorrow.
Spoiler:
Dickcannon????
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Using ZBrush macros has drastically sped up the model-to-sprite process (not including the actual modeling/sculpting). I can skip the cleaning stage altogether and jump right into the spriting after downscaling. The behemoth will be finished tomorrow, most likely, way ahead of schedule. Just 1 rotation left and then the death animation. :)
Spoiler:
I should be able to finish all of the monsters before school starts again in the fall, then I can make the last few maps on my spare time.
Last edited by Amuscaria on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gideon020

Re: [GZDoom] Hell-Forged - (Behemoth animation - P. 287)

Post by Gideon020 »

Is it wrong that I want a gameplay mod based around the Behemoth now?
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

That's a fantastic monster.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Behemoth more or less done. I'll need to polish the death animation a bit more so I'll upload that later.
Spoiler:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Satan Demi Archangel!!! I'm really impressed by the quality, obviously. And the speed! It seems you're working quickly as soon as possible to the completion. And heck, i didn't even know that his back tank had three canisters. That's a nice touch, i guess.

So tell me, is he going to spew TONS of projectiles on sight?
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

Done already? Damn, you're fast.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

TY all. I am trying to finish as quickly as possible. School starts again soon, so I'll be going on a hiatus starting in August. Trying to get all the hard stuff done as soon as possible so I can scrape away at the next 3 maps whenever I have time. I'm hoping for the pre-release Beta by Christmas this year, and version 1.0 by next January.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”