Alright, time to finish C1M6!
Real quick, 2 things I noticed on C1M5
- The exclamation points next to and under the bridge don't go away after you disarm the bomb under said bridge.
- The Tank at the end doesn't actually do anything, and the first time, it took me a while to realize it was even an enemy: I thought I'd glitched the numbers.==== C1M6 - Underground section ====
- So, while Godmoding my way back, I sat there with the scorpions and the bats and checked their hitboxes: they need to be a few pixels taller.
- I also notice the new models for the pillars to replace the sprites. They look a bit better, but the sprites were taller and I think you've messed with your geometry a bit by doing that, because they looked like support-beams in some places.
- 11170, 18250 - Ok... So the arrow on the ground's clever subtlety is ruined by the unnecessary explanation point.
- Lava is actually far more dense than the human body, so in reality you only sink a slight amount and are set on fire by the intense heat. I know that's a nitpick, but it's one of the things Doom actually had right...
- I'm surprised I didn't have too many problems with the platforming section with the pillars in the lava. I liked the grinder part nearby too...
- Heh, I'm not sure what exactly is happening with the trapped gold pit here, but it sure is a nice bit. Maybe you should add some scarabs so it's clearer, assuming it's a Mummy reference?
- In the lava pillars, on the last go-around, I tried to take a shortcut down through the windows back into the first side of it from the pillar with the gold bar. I don't know why, but I can't make that jump...
- I had alot of trouble with the enemies on the mine-tracks: things are moving fast and they're wielding shotguns... It might be a bit much to throw at the player, but I'd have to test it more...- In the room with the [artifact], on the metal fences on the sides, you forgot to make them impassible.
- You loaded me up on grenades before the [spoiler] boss, but they don't seem to be useful at all... The weapon which seems to be effective is the shotgun.
- That was a really fun boss battle for a doom game!
- These falling rocks are doing alot of damage to me, right after a boss at low health, and I can't exactly see them coming down...
- Alright... Running out to the end and... WHAT?!
- So... Wait... Did I do something wrong...?
- No... Wait...
- NO FUCKING WAY.
Really enjoyed this game so far guys, really nice work all around. Can't wait to continue in the beta of Chapter 2!
After thinking about this level later, I thought it might be more interesting if you added like, a quick smacking sound and a knock-down animation at the end of the level, like BJ's been hit from behind as he runs out into the ambush.Edit: NEVERMIND!
Couldn't wait. Playing C2M1, or at least the early parts.
==== C2M1: Escape from NOT Castle Wolfenstien (feels like a missed opportunity) ====
- I really like the feel of this introductory cutscene, but it might need a bit more exposition, like a textual recap of the last moment of C1M6, maybe also start the level with the final frames of him killing the guard.
- I like that you have this stealth-heavy level, but it's a bit confusing: the mechanics are unprecedented and unexplained. When can they see me? I'm staring some of them in the face and they can't see me, and others I'm far away but beside and they somehow see me... I feel like this needs a bit more leading up to it.
- I also like how the first ranged weapon you give the player is grenades.- -3500, 3600 - This fake-door literally leads out to the courtyard you can see through the window where there's no other side. It's very obvious it's fake.- -1900, 1800 - Cyan door says it requires Red key.
--- Takes Cyan Key anyway
- Heh! Hogan's heroes reference...- -1300, 1100 - Water cooler doesn't do anything (might be on purpose)
- I feel like these jail doors with the rails should slide instead of swing: that's a Wolfenstein thing...- -450, 3450 - There is a 3D model of a tree poking through the wall.
--- Rather than making a fake wooded area for the view outside of that stairwell, you should make the outside of the building visible, because it's clear to me that the office area I was just in is right over there, and noclipping reveals another indoor area nearby. I'd even make a wall just beyond that so it's clear that BJ couldn't escape through there, and put 2D-billboard trees just beyond that.
- -1300, 1400 - There's like... a weird poster on the other side of the sign's linedef...
- Only BJ Blazkowitz would bother to steal gold coins while escaping a fucking torture chamber. I'd make a crude joke about the fact that he's Jewish here, but it seems highly inappropriate in a section of a game that is literally referencing the holocaust. XD- -100, 1980 - Gold door takes a completely different key.- 330, 850 - Green door says it wants the blue key- 850, 1090 - Purple switch asking for Yellow key- 960, 1100 - This 2nd floor switch can be toggled from the first floor.
- Searchlight area: So... Being too close to the search-light will get me seen, but jumping on boxes is fine..?
- Ok... So... Dirty Douglas starts chattering to me over... some radio that I now have...? When I walk outside? I thought the objective was to find a radio somewhere...
- 2370, 50 - Uh... What's with the bridge here? It terminates in this odd place...
Alright, well, I escaped from the military prison (it didn't look like a concentration camp to me), and this seems like a good stopping point. I'll probably pick this up again in a few days, so you'll probably have another commit by then...
Nice work so far though!One Last Edit:
Priest sprites with single barrel shotguns fired one at a time, because they drop single barreled shotguns, and seem to be discharging one then the other...
You want me to rewrite the decorate too?