Sapphire | Remaster | v2.0 released

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

Re: Sapphire | Remaster | RC1 released

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:Yeah, looks good to me - more than I had in mind actually. I was just thinking about a stronger dynamic light effect but that's even better.

It looks better ingame, thanks for the inspiration :)
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

Cool Beans. I'll wait for the next upload. Those lights look too good. :)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Barry Burton wrote:Cool Beans. I'll wait for the next upload. Those lights look too good. :)
There you go ;)

RC2: https://www.mediafire.com/file/wtg1dwrk ... 2.zip/file
Barry Burton

Re: Sapphire | Remaster | RC2 released

Post by Barry Burton »

Ha! That was quick! :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The new lighting effects look amazing - much better than I had anticipated. My only fear with them is - are they a bit too much? Not sure myself, but worth asking the question. Perhaps the effects could be a little more translucent?

Again, a handful of very minor points:

This doesn't seem to have the lighting haze/mist effect. Is that intentional?

These lights look a bit plain now that nearly every other light has some kind of effect on it. However, I am concerned that adding more effects might just add to the "is it too much" question.

I'm not sure that this light needs any special effects, but the screens are casting an obvious orange glow onto the wall but the thing actually intended to illuminate the area (the light) doesn't seem to.

I think that there may be other examples elsewhere.
NovaRain

Post by NovaRain »

Wow, the final part is harder now, as it's nearly impossible to kill Spider Demolisher (HP 6k -> 600k) directly, plus its black hole generator.
My chance of winning is to open the red door to lure the mobs and kill them all first, then try to rush the switches before Demolisher gets "activated".
Or I'll be swamped by the mobs and get dragged into the black holes.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Enjay - Thanks for spitting these, just fixed them :) Regarding the last screenshot, these are actually meant to emit not that much light, would feel too much at a certain point.

@NovaRain - You are not supposed to kill the Demolisher with the weapons but with the switch combination :)
NovaRain

Post by NovaRain »

Tormentor667 wrote:@NovaRain - You are not supposed to kill the Demolisher with the weapons but with the switch combination :)
Yeah I know, I just suck at dodging Demolisher's black hole (infighting with mobs didn't really help me much) so I have to rush the switches to kill it before it can move freely. :oops:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Purely out of interest, all those cool light effects indicate some sort of mist/dust in the atmosphere and, if we assume that the demons need to breathe, that's another indication that there is an atmosphere in Sapphire. However, the text file says it's a space station (the visuals in game certainly back this up) but large parts of it seem to be completely open to space (and you can even fall into the void of space and die). Soooo, what's keeping the atmosphere in place? ;)

Related to it being in space, did you ever consider lowering the gravity slightly? If it would mess up jump distances/heights then obviously it shouldn't be done but, otherwise, it would seem fitting.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, I know where these thoughts come from and in Blade of Agony's Astrostein mission, we took care of exactly these things (no atmosphere, lower gravity, etc). For Sapphire, features like that simply seem out of scope for me. The player wouldn't benefit from the lower gravity as long as I don't change the map setting at various places as well. I think people will have to live with it :) But thanks for these thoughts :)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Sapphire Remaster | v2.0 released
Grab it now, looking forward to your Let's Plays :)
Link: https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/p ... l-research
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Sapphire | Remaster | v2.0 released

Post by TiberiumSoul »

idk whats causing it but my player view is squashed into the floor in vanilla and with mods increasing the player viewheight does nothing to affect it either.

im using the 2.0 build from r667
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Which version of GZDoom are you using?
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

most recent git build why
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Mmmh not on my side TiberiumSoul, this is with GZDoom 4.4pre-r497... Did you have something autoloading? My screen res is 1280x1024, 4:3.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”