Splatterhouse 3D TC - 2 Episodes!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Splatterhouse 3D - Episode 1

Postby Enjay » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:54 am

ImpieTwo wrote:-Fixed that annoying error that replaces all the monsters midway through. Should now be all Splatterhouse, all the time.

Should be:

Isn't always :(

(quick kick to show it is the new version)
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby ImpieTwo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:52 am

Okay, new-NEW version up that should have all the monsters back to normal. Pretty sure those were the only ones I missed. Odd since I did a find-replace and it didn't catch those particular guys.
ImpieTwo

Postby Enjay » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:10 am

On a quick check in the church area, it seems fine now. :D
Enjay

Postby Enjay » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:52 am

Another much more minor thing (which you may have noticed):
Code: Select allExpand view
Script warning, "splat3d.pk3:bdoom_sh.wad:BW_PLAS" line 91:
Tried to define class 'PlasmaBall1' more than once. Renaming class to 'PlasmaBall1@splat3d.pk3@bdoom_sh.wad@BW_PLAS'

[edit] Oh, and while I'm at it, this bothered me more than it should (perhaps it is meant to):

This blue skull switch needs a blue keycard to activate it:

and, fairly nearby, this blue-card marked door actually needs a blue skull to open it:

Enjay

Postby ImpieTwo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Enjay wrote:Another much more minor thing (which you may have noticed):
Code: Select allExpand view
Script warning, "splat3d.pk3:bdoom_sh.wad:BW_PLAS" line 91:
Tried to define class 'PlasmaBall1' more than once. Renaming class to 'PlasmaBall1@splat3d.pk3@bdoom_sh.wad@BW_PLAS'

Yeah, I've noticed that since early builds and I can't find what it's talking about to save my life...

[edit] Oh, and while I'm at it, this bothered me more than it should (perhaps it is meant to):

Weird, I musta mixed them up without ever noticing. I'll swap 'em in the next update.
ImpieTwo

Postby Enjay » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 pm

ImpieTwo wrote:Yeah, I've noticed that since early builds and I can't find what it's talking about to save my life...

The file BW_PLAS inside the BDoom_SH.wad file in your PK3 defines an actor called PlasmaBall1. The problem is that GZDoom already has an actor of that name (it's the green version of the player plasma bullet fired by the press release version of both the plasma gun and the BFG). The one in BDoom_SH.wad should be renamed to something else, as should any instances where that actor is called by other actors (though I think it's only used by the plasma rifle defined in the same file) and perhaps any other instances that might exist (e.g. in gldefs).
Enjay

Postby ImpieTwo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:57 pm

Enjay wrote:
ImpieTwo wrote:Yeah, I've noticed that since early builds and I can't find what it's talking about to save my life...

The file BW_PLAS inside the BDoom_SH.wad file in your PK3 defines an actor called PlasmaBall1. The problem is that GZDoom already has an actor of that name (it's the green version of the player plasma bullet fired by the press release version of both the plasma gun and the BFG). The one in BDoom_SH.wad should be renamed to something else, as should any instances where that actor is called by other actors (though I think it's only used by the plasma rifle defined in the same file) and perhaps any other instances that might exist (e.g. in gldefs).

So I could rename it PlasmaBall2 and it shouldn't affect anything?

Honestly most of the stuff in that file I don't use at all, I just don't know what I can delete to reduce file size, and what needs to stay so the fist, ssg, and saw work correctly, in the event of shared assets.
ImpieTwo

Postby Enjay » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:50 am

ImpieTwo wrote:So I could rename it PlasmaBall2 and it shouldn't affect anything?

Honestly most of the stuff in that file I don't use at all, I just don't know what I can delete to reduce file size, and what needs to stay so the fist, ssg, and saw work correctly, in the event of shared assets.

That wouldn't be a good choice because GZDoom also has a PlasmaBall2 already Classes:PlasmaBall2. Just rename it to something that you know will be unique (e.g. ImpieTwoPlasmaBall1) and make sure that anywhere else in the code also uses the updated name. Like I said, I think it's only used in the plasma weapon (3 times) in the same file (and I don't think that's even used in the mod) so it's not that important to rename the places where the actor is called from (i.e. the weapon code) but if you don't, and for some reason you decide to enable the weapon at some point, it will be trying to fire the built-in PlasmaBall1 actor, but the actor won't work properly unless you include the resources needed by it, and your one will be completely ignored by the weapon.

[edit]PlasmaBall1 is also mentioned in the gldefs and decaldef files inside BDoom_SH.wad so it really should be renamed there. This isn't throwing up errors because GZDoom will just be using those entries to redefine how things are applied to the built-in PlasmaBall1 - which is unlikely to be appropriate... or it would be if the actor was actually used in your mod. [/edit]

This is the difficulty with importing mods wholesale into other mods. You're going to get resources and code that you don't need included and sooner or later there will be a conflict of resources. It takes longer, and it's more difficult (and can involve some real head-scratching), but pruning out the unneeded stuff and only including what you need is a better approach and, once it's done, leaves a neater, easier to navigate mod with (presumably) a smaller overhead and a smaller download too.
Enjay

Postby Cherno » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:06 am

I started using classnames that are sure to be unique to my mods, by putting an abbreviation of the mod name in front of it, such as SH_Plasmaball.
Cherno

Postby ImpieTwo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:21 am

I tried to fix the fist but I'm not happy with it. I'm not a good enough sprite artist to match the colors or remove the forearm hair. Makes him look like he went tanning with sleeves down to his elbows.
Attachments
RFI2A0.png
RFI2A0.png (14.92 KiB) Viewed 202 times
fist test 2.jpg
ImpieTwo

Postby Enjay » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:53 am

While, obviously, the problems that you point out are are definitely there, I think it looks better than the cut-off version. With any luck some kind soul with the necessary skills could perhaps improve it.

[edit]
Is there nothing from here that you could use?

https://imgur.com/a/0WwW0

Some of the punches come from the bottom of the screen rather than the side so the cut-off issue simply wouldn't exist, not matter how wide screens get.

I think these were all uploaded by torridgristle.
Enjay

Postby ImpieTwo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:21 pm

Nah, I have those, and only the ones based on Hexen Fighter look right. Rick's a brick shithouse when he wears the mask, so the arm has to be huge.
ImpieTwo

Postby Korell » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:08 pm

There are two at the bottom of the Doomguy Hands section that might fit (the ones that look similar to yours in the above images). Alternatively, you could apply a darkening filter to the upper arm until it has the same kind of colour as the lower part of the arm and the hand.
Korell

Postby ImpieTwo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:48 pm

Korell wrote:There are two at the bottom of the Doomguy Hands section that might fit (the ones that look similar to yours in the above images). Alternatively, you could apply a darkening filter to the upper arm until it has the same kind of colour as the lower part of the arm and the hand.

That's the fist I actually used. I've recently added the fighter's arm so it looks better widescreen.
ImpieTwo

Postby ImpieTwo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:24 am

All right, am I the only one seeing this glitch in the starting room of Level 4? Left is how it looks in GZdoom Builder. Right is how it looks in-game. What the hell is causing this?
Attachments
pic glitch.png
ImpieTwo

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects