Hell-Forged (updated to v1.11 - development paused)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

How do you feel about the difficulty of Hell-Forged Maps on UV (Grandmaster)?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:26 am

Too Easy
9%
Somewhat Easy
4%
Just Right
22%
Somewhat Hard
52%
Too Hard
13%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 23

Amuscaria

Re: [GZDoom] Hell-Forged - (new alpha test up)

Post by Amuscaria »

osjclatchford wrote:Ah, Makes sense now.
And, no. The maps aren't crazy... Just me...

Oh and I figured out the nailgun cage secret thing on map 2... I must have been blind! That was one easy secret. Didn't find many others though...
Some of them you need to open your automap. They'll become very obvious with it. :)

Also, look for arrows in the map geometry. They will point you to the secrets. :P
Last edited by Amuscaria on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Rock Shooter

Post by Black Rock Shooter »

Was really looking forward to this, and it delivered. Sound design is on point too. Really loved using the Mauler and Hellbolt.
Spoiler:
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

I'm currently going through the whole thing and aim to leave some feedback later, but for now I seem to be stuck in this area in HF1M4. :(

Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Jimmy wrote:I'm currently going through the whole thing and aim to leave some feedback later, but for now I seem to be stuck in this area in HF1M4. :(
HF1M4 lets you go get the skull keys in any order you want. There should be a teleporter that will teleport you back up where the blue skull key switch is. Or you can go back out along the outside to one of the other Skull Key mini-hub areas. I'm unsure how you got in there, but can't back out.

Update:

-There is a minor message bug with the map HF1M4's skullkey switches. They will display the wrong number of keys in the message, but wont impact the game itself.
-Now that I think about it, the exit lift in HF1M3 going up that incline doesn't make any sense. It will need to be remade.
-These fixes will be implement during the next release.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Is the starting sword going to get any additional abilities? It's pretty useless considering how the other weapons are pretty well rounded. It could do with a unique ability like blocking or deflecting projectiles.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

SamVision wrote:Is the starting sword going to get any additional abilities? It's pretty useless considering how the other weapons are pretty well rounded. It could do with a unique ability like blocking or deflecting projectiles.
Nope. That weapon is meant strictly as a starting weapon. As soon as you pick up the Vorpal Blade, it's removed from the inventory for the rest of the game. I might add a 2-handed attack, since I'm going to add that for the Vorpal Blade alt-fire anyway, so I could recycle the hands; a low priority.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Gotta be honest, starting sword needs to be a more helpful. I don't want to make weapons go waste forever, you know? Probably make it able to throw and remove when picked up the Vorpal blade?
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

I think you guys are missing the point.
I could be wrong here but, the Templar sword is kinda a plot device. he's a Templar in training. its his basic weapon. he'd never go anywhere without it.
its his lifeline. he eats sleeps and probably shits, with it at his side, he would never dream of replacing it...

BUT! then he finds the vorpal blade and its like "bye-bye templar sword, helooo vorpal blade!" I can just imagine him just dropping it aside, literally just opening his hands and letting it fall, as he goes to grab the hilt of the vorpal! almost as if he feels some kind of compulsion to do so, like the demon entity enslaved in the chaos blade is calling his very soul in his mind "release me mortal, let us crush our enemies together!"
its surely intended to be a bit humorous and cliche' and is, as such very realistic too. I mean seriously. that is the point of keeping a naff version of something you've just replaced, right? its just in the game to get you to the vorpal blade.

Amuscaria himself said that weapon redundancy is something he doesn't want present in hf...
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

That's why I suggested giving the sword additional abilities than just making it stronger. It would serve a more of a utility item rather than just a weapon. Like if you swing it it would knock projectiles back at enemies, or maybe couple it with a alt-fire shield to block attacks.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

SamVision wrote:Like if you swing it it would knock projectiles back at enemies
The Vorpal Blade already does that.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

It does? Can't say I've noticed that but will give that a go next time I play. However it's supposed to give health too but I've never got a health boost in either firemodes. Nor when powered or unpowered...
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

osjclatchford wrote:It does? Can't say I've noticed that but will give that a go next time I play. However it's supposed to give health too but I've never got a health boost in either firemodes. Nor when powered or unpowered...
You can only get health when you hit a monster in melee range when using the alt-fire. Not with the energy wave, but with the sword's hitscan. It gives 25 health, but not over 100.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Amuscaria wrote: You can only get health when you hit a monster in melee range when using the alt-fire. Not with the energy wave, but with the sword's hitscan. It gives 25 health, but not over 100.
groovy...
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

The Templar blade, as awesome as it is, is SIGNIFICANTLY outclassed by the Vorpal Blade. I still find myself using it over most of the weapons *Vorpal Hellblaster Combo* and it definitely gets me involved and engaging the enemy. Again, there are weapons that suit each situation. I pummel any melee/close-range enemies to the best of my abilities and let them have it with my projectile weapons. You have to get accustomed to this by getting involved and putting yourself up to the test. There is no need for an alt-fire. There is no need for anything else that would rather take away from what these weapons already do. I do miss being able to deflect fireballs with the blade, though I much rather enjoy not getting hit by them on chance. You'll find the situation necessary to use these weapons when the opportunity arises. ^_^
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Hmm, i guess Templar Blade won't gonna make it to the final level. Using it as some kind of key or important item instead would be at least handily doable.

Oh and yes. Vorpal Blade's Alt-Fire definitely helps too!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”