Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Nevander

Re: [v1.3] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by Nevander »

Voros wrote:Edit: forgot to mention, but it would be nice if you used Offset for the Unmaker's "Modern" animation.
The Unmaker only has one animation set. If I wanted to make a "modern" version of it I'd have to duplicate a shit-ton of code and inventory checking to make it fire correctly, which is why I decided to keeping the animation the same universally. The Unmaker itself strikes me as the kind of weapon that wouldn't even have recoil.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

i really liked this mod. very awesome to see a nice total conversion of Doom 64 for classic Doom. i would love to see someone make a Doom 64 weapons mod from the versions used in this mod though. and by weapons mod. i mean like without the monsters & the hud. just the weapons, items & other little Doom 64 items like the lamps and such
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

MrRumbleRoses wrote:i really liked this mod. very awesome to see a nice total conversion of Doom 64 for classic Doom. i would love to see someone make a Doom 64 weapons mod from the versions used in this mod though. and by weapons mod. i mean like without the monsters & the hud. just the weapons, items & other little Doom 64 items like the lamps and such
Well there is, D64WEAPS.WAD but it sucks major ass now. The weapon animations are utter shite and aren't properly scaled on the HUD so they look like they are stretched. They are also very unpolished and are due for an upgrade. When I am finished with map work, I will try to set aside some time and rip the weapons only from Retribution and create an updated version of that mod so you can use the Retribution versions with classic Doom.
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

Hey. Sorry if this has been covered before but how does one get to the secret exit in map04 (Holding Area)? I've set the switches in the correct order but I can't seem to run across the pillars.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

First make sure you are on version 1.3, since there was a bug in older versions which could break the sequence if you pressed the switches fast enough. If you are on 1.3, make sure the sequence is indeed right: from the left most switch to the right most, it goes 3-1-2-4 where 1-4 is left to right. If you have done all that and you are sure that the path is lowered and the door opened, you need to go into the teleporter across from the rightmost switches.

Once you go into the teleporter, you have to run across the pillars. It may be difficult to make the first one and thus strafe running is recommended. Even just a small amount of strafe in the run will allow you across.

However, it should be possible to make the first one with a standard run since you can in the original. In the earlier versions of the mod you could because of the even lower gravity, so perhaps I should tweak that spot's floor height or sector size so you can always make it.
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

Thanks for replying. I have version 1.3 and the switches are set correctly. I'll give strafe running a try. I haven't done that as I have to play with a controller. Could using a controller be the issue? How does ZDoom handle runnning speed on them? FYI, the controller is perfectly functional and the ZDoom menu settings(sensitivity etc) are at default. :)
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

Sorry for double posting but I wanted to make a follow-up and not have it lost in the mix.

I've since been playing with the keyboard and I still can't make the jump in map 04. I'm now on map 12 and I can't seem to make the jump at the end of the map to reach the exit either.

I'm using v1.3 of retribution and v3.1 of GZDoom. This happens to me using either controller or keyboard.

Cheers. :)
Korell

Post by Korell »

Outtagum wrote:I've since been playing with the keyboard and I still can't make the jump in map 04. I'm now on map 12 and I can't seem to make the jump at the end of the map to reach the exit either.
I'm using v1.3 of retribution and v3.1 of GZDoom. This happens to me using either controller or keyboard.
Cheers. :)
For map 12 (Altar of Pain), do you mean the part where you press the skull switch, the platform rises and you use that to get across to the opposite side where the exit sign is? If so, then I've just tested that and I can get across even without using the sprint button, and I don't even have a jump key bound for Doom 64. The secret exit, though, that does require sprinting. This is also with Retribution v1.3 and GZDoom 3.1.0a. Any chance you can post a screenshot to confirm the area you are in, or even better, put a video of the issue onto YouTube so that we can see?
FRostC

Post by FRostC »

I checked out the jump on Map04 in v1.3 and you can't clear the gap by normal running, while strafe running does work. In v1.2 and earlier, however, you can clear the gap to the secret exit by running straight.

So something changed between 1.2 and 1.3. I'd check out the original D64 cart to see what it originally played like but finding a tv to plug my N64 into would take too much time. I might later
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

FRostC wrote:In v1.2 and earlier, however, you can clear the gap to the secret exit by running straight. So something changed between 1.2 and 1.3.
This change was the result of drama on the Doomworld thread where I was getting my ass torn out because it wasn't 100% accurate. This was because the movement speeds were changed and the gravity changed to be "more accurate" although the original values seemed fine to me but yes, you should be able to cross that without strafe running so I will try to find a good compromise. It's perfectly possible to pass these gaps with strafe running in 1.3 and you don't even need a strong one. Something else must be afoot if you are unable to cross gaps even with that.
Firebrand
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Firebrand »

I can only imagine the amount of work to make this work for classic Doom, you have done a great work, I've played for a while this mod and it looks and feels like the real thing ;).
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Glad you are enjoying it! Stick around because in a month or two (end of the year at the very latest) I will be updating again with hopefully 4 new map packs with about 35 33 new maps.
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

Nevander wrote:Glad you are enjoying it! Stick around because in a month or two (end of the year at the very latest) I will be updating again with hopefully 4 new map packs with about 35 33 new maps.
That souunds AWESOME mate! I look forward to it. Keep up the great work! :mrgreen:
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

Yeah, apologies regarding my second post. I had a brain fart and forgot all about that switch.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Nevander wrote:Glad you are enjoying it! Stick around because in a month or two (end of the year at the very latest) I will be updating again with hopefully 4 new map packs with about 35 33 new maps.
Could you give us a sneak peek?
At least just a tiny one?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”