-warp with no paramaters auto warps you in custom wad

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

nwbeeman

-warp with no paramaters auto warps you in custom wad

Post by nwbeeman »

I have a folder containing all of the wads for doom, and another 4 doom2. I would like to see the -warp paramater changed to allow for the -warp paramater without any map to warp to the first map in the specified wad file. For example if a custom wad has say E2M4, then specifiying the following command line would automaticly start the game and warp to E2M4.

zdoom -file somewad.wad -warp.

I'm trying to remember, but i think zdoom had something like this once. Or it was another source port, but it would make double clicking on wads less of a hassle. Also, while on the subject of autowarping, would it be possible for ZDoom to automaticly figure out what wad to load with it?

For example, looking at the header for ExMx or MAPxx would tell it Doom 1 or Heretic, and MAPxx would tell it Hexen, HexenDD, Strafe, Final Doom: TNT or Plutiona. Then it could look at the texture refrences and make a guess. If it couldn't figure it out, then it would just pop up the IWAD selector as normal.
Doomguy0505

Post by Doomguy0505 »

that would create syntax errors
zdoom -warp -file "C:\DOOMWAD\helmsdeep.wad"

Code: Select all

ZDOOM VERY FATAL ERROR

Unknown map MAP00
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

@DOomguy: you sure love Fatal errors......
nwbeeman

Post by nwbeeman »

Doomguy0505 wrote:that would create syntax errors
zdoom -warp -file "C:\DOOMWAD\helmsdeep.wad"

Code: Select all

ZDOOM VERY FATAL ERROR

Unknown map MAP00
Yea as it is now, but if randy changes it, it would make running downloaded wads much better.

PS: I love that avatar. Conker goes on a murderous rampage
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

nwbeeman wrote:Yea as it is now, but if randy changes it, it would make running downloaded wads much better.
Not a bad idea actually. There are quite a few maps that don't play on map01. However, I usually have a quick read through the text file before playing to confirm which map the level replaces and if there are any special instructions I should be aware of. I know most people don't do that, but they should. :P

Even if Zdoom warped to the right map for you, it still couldn't give you those additional bits of info that are sometimes necessary. Unless we get Zdoom to read the text file for us too, and put up a hud message at the start telling us things we need to know. ;)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Or a voice that read out the words for us. (Ever texted a housephone? That's what I'm envisioning)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yeah, that'd be even better because it would eliminate the need to read entirely. :D
nwbeeman

Post by nwbeeman »

I know a sourceport (I want to say ZDOOM so badly) had an auto warp feature. But like i said, it would be cool non the less to have at the least a detection method to detect ifa wad is from DOOM, DOOM2, DOOM:TNT, DOOM:P or Heretic, Hexen or Strafe. All it would have to do is check the texture refrences. It would be the coolest thing ever
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

nwbeeman wrote:All it would have to do is check the texture refrences.
Not really. A wad could easily be made that references only textures found in all the Doom games. In that case, there'd be no way of telling. Of course, it probably wouldn't matter too much either.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

I was actually thinking of making an option for ZDL to scan all loaded wads for maps and populate the WARP list with available maps, but I decided people might get confused.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Since about 1997 I have had my own command-line WAD launcher that is designed to be run from Windows by associating it with .WAD files. It works by depositing a token entry inside a WAD that I called REGISTRY (a swipe at Windows) that tells it what game to run. The current version can also support custom property lists in a simple way, such as /p:opengl and so on.

The source codes and some of the support files are here. PlayWAD itself is reasonably safe to use, but the conveniences needed to support it in everyday use are deprecated as they need direct access to the Windows registry, command-line and (in a couple of cases) filesystem; they also need administrator privileges. To make PlayWAD completely safe but functional as a "click-to-run-this-wad" program requires a major rewrite of the interface for which I do not have the time or (given priorities) inclination. You use it at your own risk; it is best just to get ideas from it then write something from scratch as a "proper" GUI program, should you be so inclined.
doom2day

Post by doom2day »

Bio Hazard wrote:I was actually thinking of making an option for ZDL to scan all loaded wads for maps and populate the WARP list with available maps, but I decided people might get confused.
Like the iwad select?
nwbeeman wrote: I'm trying to remember, but i think zdoom had something like this once. Or it was another source port, but it would make double clicking on wads less of a hassle. Also, while on the subject of autowarping, would it be possible for ZDoom to automaticly figure out what wad to load with it?
Have a command line option that will bypass the iwad select by specifying the needed iwad like: zdoom -file doom1lev.wad -useiwad doom.wad
in this instance it tells zdoom to load the pwad doom1lev.wad and automatically use doom.wad as the iwad.

If it couldn't find the iwad in the current directory or it isn't an iwad after all then:
a)
browse for needed iwad
b)
iwad select screen
or
c)
a and b
Belial

Post by Belial »

Have a command line option that will bypass the iwad select by specifying the needed iwad like: zdoom -file doom1lev.wad -useiwad doom.wad
Timeline + RTFW

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”