Middle textures that are too large...

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

ace

Middle textures that are too large...

Post by ace »

This is something that has always annoyed me: the fact that middle textures that are too large to fit in the space they are provided go into the floor and below the ceiling. Is there any chance of getting rid of this?

If you don't know what I mean here is a screenshot to better understand. I couldn't really explain it well:

See how that doesn't cut off? It would look much better if it did. I don't know whether this would be possible in software mode, but it would really help because this is quite annoying IMO.
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

Two-sided linedefs and slopes aren't best friends, and has (AFAIK) never been.
I'd like to see this feature too, but I don't know how much of a hassle it'd be... A lot methinks :|
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

OK, here's a trick you can use: Split the sectors where the "window" is into 2 parts, one sector on one side of the window and one on the other, so that there is a different sector on each side of the window. Then select all the sectors on 1 side of the window, and lower or raise the light level by 1 unit so one side of the window is different from the other. IIRC that should cause the texture in the middle to clip to the floor/ceiling since the sectors are not exactly the same.
ace

Post by ace »

Jalla: it happens with all types of sectors, even non-sloped ones. If the texture does not fit in its space, it extends into the floor and ceiling.

Destroyer: it's already two (technically 6 because of the slopes) sectors. As for the light level, I thought it could only go by 16's? I'll try it anyway though...

EDIT:
...you're right, it works! Thanks for that. :D

However, this feature would still come in handy in multiple situations. If it were to take too much time I would understand, but I just think it would be helpful all the same. Of course like everyone (especially Graf :p) keeps saying, it's best to have the next version out NOW than wait on something that can already be emulated/hacked etc.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

jallamann wrote:Two-sided linedefs and slopes aren't best friends, and has (AFAIK) never been.|
The same shit happens on a two sided linedef on an unsloped sector that has been offset below the floor. Is it my imagination, or did this not used to happen?
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Is it my imagination, or did this not used to happen?
Your imagination. This "bug" has existed (and been exploited) since the original engine. It happens because similar (sub-)sectors are grouped together when drawing, for speed reasons, and then the walls are rendered on top of the existing floor. With careful use of translucency and textures, you can make some pretty nice effects that way.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Destroyer wrote:OK, here's a trick you can use: Split the sectors where the "window" is into 2 parts, one sector on one side of the window and one on the other, so that there is a different sector on each side of the window. Then select all the sectors on 1 side of the window, and lower or raise the light level by 1 unit so one side of the window is different from the other. IIRC that should cause the texture in the middle to clip to the floor/ceiling since the sectors are not exactly the same.

Better change the light level by 1, not the height. That way you avoid rendering gaps but the effect on the mid textures is the same.
Belial

Post by Belial »

Umm... Isn't that what he said?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yah, Destroyer's trick works just fine. Took me years to find it though. It also means you can't just use a 2S line across the middle of a sector and slap a texure on them. You have to have a sector either side with slightly different properties. However, this should not be fixed. Lots of WADs rely on the effect the way it is, so they would be broken by a "fix". I'm not even convinced it would be worth making it a flag that could be applied to lines. I understand there are not many spare flags so using it to do something that can already be worked around seems wasteful.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

AFAIK Zdoom has an internal line flag for this that is activated when playing Strife only. With a simple MAPINFO flag it could be activated in all games. Activating this per line doesn't make sense IMO. Either a mapper wants it or not - but rarely would one mix both modes.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I dunno, I can easily imagine a map where I was using the fake reflective floor trick, for example, but where I would also need a railing around something by -ve Y offsetting one of the midbars textures.

It has to be said though, I rarely need the default behaviour (maybe never - I've never used the reflective floor trick) but have often needed my textures to be clipped at the floor/ ceiling.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Bleeding mid-textures should be discouraged. With a hardware renderer they won't work anyway.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Personally I agree. I've only ever come across them as a problem in my editing, not a benefit. I was just saying that some people use them, and I can easily imagine a situation where a person might want both behaviours in a single map. I'm not even saying that it's worth trying to support that. The MAPINFO idea would probably please most of the people most of the time.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”