Moderator: GZDoom Developers

solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

LOL WTF???
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote:Which port have you based your engine on? Zdoom?

What do you think? ;)

Seriously, what else? Is there any point in creating a source port that supports less?

Although the renderer started out with PrBoom. First I added all the things I wanted and then I rewrote nearly everything from scratch to optimize it. That was 2001 and I worked sporadically on this thing to improve it. After Nimrod's release I added 3D floors to my engine but that was a rather crude and buggy implementation. Then I discovered ZDoom (don't laugh, it was really that late!) and the thing went to sleep for some time. Eventually I fixed most of the issues with the 3D floors and in January 2005 I had something that could render Nimrod quite well (but not play due to lack of FraggleScript.)
At that point I decided to port all this work to ZDoom so it would be of some use to me again. So for the last 7 1/2 months I have been gradually merging my code with ZDoom.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Cool, sounds very interesting. I suspected it was Zdoom, but the reference to PRBoom threw me. Is this something you plan on releasing? If so, do you have any idea of timescale (more than a "when it's done" I mean)?
solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

I think you've got more than a couple of doomers captivated by this Graf.

EDIT: So that melee radius thing for decorate we spoke of some time back, is that making the cut?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote:Cool, sounds very interesting. I suspected it was Zdoom, but the reference to PRBoom threw me. Is this something you plan on releasing? If so, do you have any idea of timescale (more than a "when it's done" I mean)?

Haven't you read anything I wrote about this? I already had some discussions about hosting this somewhere. As for a release I can say this:

- Since Randy apparently doesn't get anywhere near a new release I decided to release the .96x based version after all. I ported the code to the fp_test souce code this weekend and there are several issues with that that prohibit a release.
- There are 3 crucial issues still to do before I can release it.
1. Loading .GWA files crashes the game because the nodes aren't properly initialized.
2. I want to add ZDoomGL's light definitions parser for the first version. Most of that is in but it isn't finished yet.
3. ZDBSP likes to throw out lines out of the BSP which overlap with other lines in the same position. Since I can't fix the node builder but ultimately have to rely on it I have to do something about this or maps like Eternal's Timeslip would look like crap.

Other things to do (but these will have to wait until after a release):

- sloped 3D-floors with different light settings above and below don't work
- translucent sloped 3D-floors don't work
- mixing translucent 3D-floors and translucent sloped walls can create problems.

All these are caused by the way I am handling translucent stuff (this could be so much easier if Doom was able to process things in order as opposed to per sector)
Fixing these requires a complete rewrite of the rendering of translucent stuff which will definitely take some time so I keep pushing it back
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

solarsnowfall wrote:I think you've got more than a couple of doomers captivated by this Graf.

EDIT: So that melee radius thing for decorate we spoke of some time back, is that making the cut?

All of the latest .96x features will be in there, including this one.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:Haven't you read anything I wrote about this? I already had some discussions about hosting this somewhere.
I was aware you were doing something like this - I've seen you mention it in quite a few posts - but apparently I missed some crucial information because I thought it was primarily something you were doing as a personal amusement thing and I had misinterpreted the mentions of PRBoom. I didn't realise you were so far along with it or that you planned a release. Thanks for the info. I look forward to trying it as and when you feel you have something to put out.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

( X ) _ ( X )

I can't believe my own eyes as I read Graf's post, but enough awe.

Grubber uses ICQ. Contact him. His number is:

I deeply suggest a chatter via ICQ and not mails/private messaging

He can code You a site that uses the D-R-D domain's boards to post new things, like files and news :)

We eagerly await You Graf to join us.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote: I've seen you mention it in quite a few posts - but apparently I missed some crucial information because I thought it was primarily something you were doing as a personal amusement thing. I.
For a long time it was. But I have managed to get to a state where I'd like to share it with others. Half a year ago I wouldn't have thought that I'd get to the point where I am now. That was the time when I seriously started thinking about a public release.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Dude, you rock :rock:

:twisted:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Just too bad that the fp_test release it too unstable. That means I will have to do a .96x version first. I hate to maintain 2 code bases for the foreseeable future but considering Randy's way of doing things I don't have much hope that this will change any time soon... :(
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Well, I'm sure a new version of Zdoom will be coming out shortly... I know of some people that have got a beta version of the latest build... so I'm assuming its almost done. I'd say Patience is the best thing here :D. I'm certainly not in any rush for all your spiffy features as I can get by with what Zdoom currently has... plus, it will probably take me longer to find the skill and time to create a mod that would utilise the good features of Grafs port :D.

:twisted:

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”