A little more color quality.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

ace

Post by ace »

No, don't have 32bpp mode available! Then everyone will be able to see the textures I couldn't align! :p

32bpp would be nice though. And the textures and sprites would look much better because of that, so I'm all for it too.
Zarggg

Post by Zarggg »

You know... I have never seen a game use 32bpps for anyting that 16bpps would not acheive anyway.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

16bpp is useless. It had some use 5 or 6 years ago but on modern graphics cards it is slower than 32bpp.
solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

Zarggg wrote:You know... I have never seen a game use 32bpps for anyting that 16bpps would not acheive anyway.

I remember thinking that until I got a decent video card ;)
Ajapted

Post by Ajapted »

NiGHTMARE wrote:Come to think of it, doesn't the software version of EDGE have a 16-bit mode?

Yep, EDGE 1.28a and earlier. It didn't support truecolor images (PNGs) though, so the main advantage was nicer light shading (pink demons stayed pink) and nicer translucency.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

[quote="Ajaptedso the main advantage was nicer light shading (pink demons stayed pink) and nicer translucency.[/quote]

Being able to use a graphic with any palette would be fantastic, and is something I really want. I really get frustrated by being limited to the Doom palette, but those two examples would be valuable enough on their own to justify higher colour resolutions IMO.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Anyone remember the pics of ROTGS2 I posted where I used Zdoom GL to take the screenies? It looked damn sexy man... that nice lush gray fog with so many colours... man, that was cool :D.

I'm all for a GL version of ZDoom done well. Zdoom GL was great... but where is it now? Is it still alive? Graf seems to be a accomplished coder... why doesnt' he just develop his own poort allowing him to get rid of all the nasty Zdoom and Doom hacks and just focus on improving Zdooms code. That way you can get rid of things like stacked sectors... people who like these can stick to Zdoom and people who want to go for much higher quality (me :D) can go for Grafs sexy GL port with full 3D floors and... model support ;).

:twisted:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Lexus Alyus wrote:
I'm all for a GL version of ZDoom done well. Zdoom GL was great... but where is it now? Is it still alive? Graf seems to be a accomplished coder... why doesnt' he just develop his own poort allowing him to get rid of all the nasty Zdoom and Doom hacks and just focus on improving Zdooms code.
That way you can get rid of things like stacked sectors... people who like these can stick to Zdoom and people who want to go for much higher quality (me :D) can go for Grafs sexy GL port with full 3D floors and... model support ;).

1. Why getting rid of the hacks? I try to support most of them the best I can do but some of the vanilla tricks are a pain to emulate. So far I haven't found a decent approach to do Strain's MAP21 for example.
2. Face it, stacked sectors are a lousy hack. There should be better means to accomplish that without pushing the engine across the error threshold. So far most of the more complex stacked sector maps got too far and even something supposedly simple like KDIZD's E1M1 cost me and Vader a few hours to get it to show without any glitches.
3. Model support is far down my list of priorities. I did some testing but my experience with this is low - and my interest in it even lower. I prefer to play with sprites.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Graf Zahl wrote:I prefer to play with sprites.

Umm...:roll:

(I had to)

On a more sereous (:P) note, I can see what Graf is getting at: I can't model to save my life (The less said about my uber-crappy attempts with the Quake 2 modeller, the better)
farlowj

Post by farlowj »

ZDoomGl is not dead, as some of you may think. It's on mancubus.net, and even though you can't get to it directly, look in the forums. There's a link for ZDoomGl .81, which has all the features of Zdoom .96. Plus it has dynamic lighting, which looks really good. I'm slowly making a map utilizing it. There are still some problems, but Timmie said he's going to be completely re writing the engine to have per pixel lighting, and fragment programs for the heat haze effect, and other things. It has been updated since 2004. Let me look for a link that works.

Edit: See if this works:
http://forum.mancubus.net/viewtopic.php?t=545
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

I still want model support :D. I just wanna throw in the Quake monsters... it'll be fun I tells ye! :D

With the Quake monsters you can skin them anyway you like... less effort than changing all the frames just for a few colour modifications, etc...

See, Graf might prefer to play with sprites, but models have more curves ;)... I loyke curves I do :D.

Zell

Post by Zell »

http://zdoomgl.mancubus.net/ <- a Direct page. :P
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Lexus Alyus wrote:I still want model support :D. I just wanna throw in the Quake monsters... it'll be fun I tells ye! :D

I never said I wouldn't add models. It's just not the most important thing for me. Don't forget that I am about to release a first version. Up until now my main focus was to get the important stuff right.

Some examples about GL ports that always drove me mad and which I didn't want to replicate:

1. The invulnerability colormap is a shitty hack that uses some cheap blending effect.
2. Spectres are just a demon with low alpha. PrBoom is the only one which did it right and so I copied its drawing mode.
3. Badly supported Boom effects.

and of course:

4. Focus on neat GL effects is more important than getting the game you want to play to a stable state.

As such dynamic lights are the latest thing I added. Such stuff has to wait until the basics are complete.

And there are still more issues I have to resolve before I even think about adding some usable model support.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Which port have you based your engine on? Zdoom?
LK873

Post by LK873 »

Graf Zahl you win the internet.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”