MBF dog behavior

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

skadoomer

MBF dog behavior

Post by skadoomer »

Is it possible to extend the friendly flag to emulate the dogs behavior from mbf, where a friendly actor will loyally follow the player while attacking other non-friendly monsters?

This could be useful for say, special forces type mods or anything that wants the player to have a group of actors on their side.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's a completely different AI implementation so I don't think it's that easy. Besides, I always found it annoying. ;)
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Something like A_Follow would be good. Chase the player, but don't hurt him, and attack opponents.
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

Nmn wrote:Something like A_Follow would be good. Chase the player, but don't hurt him, and attack opponents.
I know thats been sought after for quite some time. Wouldn't that use the same relative logic as the mbf dogs?
graf zhal wrote:Besides, I always found it annoying.

Maybe a kitty would have been more to your liking?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Coincidentally I don't like dogs. But considering that I am extremely phobic to them (don't let a dog come closer than a few meters to me...) it isn't really surprising, isn't it?
LK873

Post by LK873 »

What about this Graf?

:)
skadoomer

Post by skadoomer »

Kittens and dogs aside, What sort of assesment can be made on the A_Follow request? Wouldn't it use the same logic as mbf used (since on the surface at least its doing the same thing) Is this reasonable enough to be worked into zdooms AI logic?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, MBF's logic can't be simply integrated into ZDoom. It's a completely different approach to friendly AI.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

I believe the only thing would be some sort of recognizing targets that are being chased by the follower. He chases player but recognizes him as player and doesn't hurt him/her, but once the foe is spotted they open fire. Once the foe is dead they get back on chasing the player..

For some reason I believe, smartly, this could be done somehow without complex AI rewritage. It may only be me tough.

Otherwise one will have to satisfy himself with a follower that doesn't attack his enemies. Scripted marines chase the player but they don't hurt him, tough they DO make the attack state. Cut that out and You have a follower who chases the player (Doom:Arcade had this done pretty well),
http://www.doomworld.com/doomarcade/ (hidden map: Marine Lemings)
but doesn't hurt him. This could serve as a guided gatekeeper/laboratory survivor who has to open some door/do things in the destination You have to guide them to. Just had to add a bit of creativity. ;)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's roughly what MBF is doing. But it was tightly integrated into a very different AI system.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Is'nt the current friendly behavour good enough?

:twisted:
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

No. The friends attack whatever threats the player, but they don't follow him/her/it.
ant1991331

Post by ant1991331 »

Yes they do follow the player, but not 'close' following as you wanted, they just realy slowly follow the player
Sir_Alien

Post by Sir_Alien »

ant1991331 wrote:Yes they do follow the player, but not 'close' following as you wanted, they just realy slowly follow the player
Hey Ant, bit of free advice for you. Next time, before you post, ask yourself this question:

"Do I have any idea what I'm talking about?"

If the answer is "no," probably best not to make that post.

And just to make your life easier, I'll go right ahead and inform you that the answer is always going to be "no."
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

ant1991331 wrote:Yes they do follow the player, but not 'close' following as you wanted, they just realy slowly follow the player
No they don't. Summon some friends on any ordinary map to notice that.

And Allen is right about yee.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”