[Closed] Custom pronouns

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby Gez » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:50 pm

Software development is not a democratic process.
Gez
 
 
 
Joined: 06 Jul 2007

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby Wereknight » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:53 pm

Tell this to those who are not aware of that. I'm aware, but in current situation, what else choice do you have, honestly?
User avatar
Wereknight
Would provide hostility toward everyone daring say any bullshit about me
Banned User
 
Joined: 06 May 2019
Location: Void Eternal
Discord: Wereknight#0819
Twitch ID: 0Wereknight
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby dpJudas » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:44 pm

Simple. Keep debating the technical merits of the PR and if there's technical issues search for a solution. Same way everything else is done by civilized people. :)
dpJudas
 
 
 
Joined: 28 May 2016

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby Matt » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:09 pm

Samarai1000 wrote:Not to repeat what others have said, but I'd feel stupid if I didn't voice my support for this feature. Really hope to see it accepted! Seeing something as simple as Hideous Destructor renaming "gender" to "pronouns" (as well as all the stuff it does to decouple the two further when it comes to player skins and sounds) was a really affirming change.
Thanks for the reminder that I'll need to go back and change this once we get it done properly in GZDoom! (And thanks for appreciating it in the meantime...)
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby Kinsie » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:53 pm

Marrub wrote:
Kinsie wrote:Not really sure the menu design in the OP of having five separate text fields for individual neopronouns is necessarily the right call from a menu design standpoint.

I actually implemented custom pronouns as a feature in Lithium recently and it handles it by having it be a single option separated by forward slashes, same way people tend to do it naturally. I think that would be a better alternative to using a ton of fields.
Yeah, I was thinking something like this to utilize a single CVar that keeps things all nice and neat, but since I'm kind of an idiot who knows jack about this subject I have to wonder how to handle things where a player only supplies the usual two you see in social media bios (subject/object). How do you handle incomplete data, if at all?
User avatar
Kinsie
Dog Days
 
Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Location: MAP33
Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:27 am

Kinsie wrote:I have to wonder how to handle things where a player only supplies the usual two you see in social media bios (subject/object). How do you handle incomplete data, if at all?


Just the same as with other CVARs maybe: Print an error and reject the input?
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby Marrub » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:18 am

Kinsie wrote:Yeah, I was thinking something like this to utilize a single CVar that keeps things all nice and neat, but since I'm kind of an idiot who knows jack about this subject I have to wonder how to handle things where a player only supplies the usual two you see in social media bios (subject/object). How do you handle incomplete data, if at all?

The way I see it done is always through a database like this one. However, it should also be possible to synthesize new ones if necessary through some simple spelling rules. Lithium only handles fully spelled out sets because I'm lazy and it's just a mod.
User avatar
Marrub
Xevv Va Rkvyr
 
 
 
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Discord: Marrub#5455
Twitch ID: marrubdaskuleion
Github ID: marrub--
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby ZZYZX » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:00 pm

I don't like custom pronouns overall. They discriminate other languages and create massive complexities for translators. Basically, the people who invented them don't care if any other languages even exist.
Now that GZDoom has very wide translation range it would be weird to introduce features that are US/primarily English-centric and take 6 option points that don't work for any other translations.
It also looks like a transient cultural/political thing of this decade, not worth capturing it in the codebase.
Again, nothing wrong with nonbinary and intersex. Two problems with this:
1. The idea in question (custom pronouns) is still very disputable even among actual people who are supposed to use them (Google to confirm).
2. We are assuming that the language and society work the same way everywhere (or ignoring the "everywhere" entirely — this is definitely not acceptable for an internal engine feature).

Overall, downvote for ideological reasons.

As for the technical side, technically, pronouns and name alteration based on language rules are one of the most complicated parts of i18n. This is just very limited and underdeveloped.
(I don't care though generally about the technical side issues, because those are not very critical)


One idea for the author: this can be a ZScript mod and/or extension. I'm not sure if there is currently a callback/event handler/other kind of establishing a custom pronoun resolver, but I think that approach would have worked a lot better.
This way it stays within reasonable bounds for specific-ness (i.e. generic system instead of specific implementation), and also enables extending this mechanism later (if we add more format options, e.g. specifying plural/singular or tenses, which would be very much needed for languages such as Russian — because in Russian, not only pronouns matter, but also word endings).

It still sounds like a stretch to me, but makes more sense IMO.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin
 
 
 
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Location: Ukraine
Discord: ZZYZX#1394
Github ID: jewalky

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby Marrub » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:22 pm

ZZYZX wrote:I don't like custom pronouns overall. They discriminate other languages and create massive complexities for translators. Basically, the people who invented them don't care if any other languages even exist.

Discriminate is a hell of a loaded word for something that is... as simple as this is. People express gender differently in different languages, because gender is a highly language-dependent concept as a whole. It's certainly not a bad idea to let people express theirs, as it is in English, even in a limited form?

Spoiler: over-explaining what i mean because most people won't just get what i mean


ZZYZX wrote:Overall, downvote for ideological reasons.

*sees sprite shadows get yes'd* over all, downvote for ideological reasons
in case it wasn't obvious this is a joke i don't actually think sprite shadows were a bad idea

ZZYZX wrote:I don't care though generally about the technical side, because it's not a significant issue

I'm going to be honest, you should probably not bring it up if it's not even relevant to your argument against this feature.

ZZYZX wrote:One idea for the author: this can be a ZScript mod and/or extension. I'm not sure if there is currently a callback/event handler/other kind of establishing a custom pronoun resolver, but I think that approach would have worked a lot better.

This is technically possible with ZScript as it is right now, but it's jank as hell and prone to error, and certainly impossible to future-proof. (Source: I did this already.) Having it in the engine is a much better idea.
User avatar
Marrub
Xevv Va Rkvyr
 
 
 
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Discord: Marrub#5455
Twitch ID: marrubdaskuleion
Github ID: marrub--
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby ZZYZX » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:03 am

Marrub wrote:
ZZYZX wrote:I don't like custom pronouns overall. They discriminate other languages and create massive complexities for translators. Basically, the people who invented them don't care if any other languages even exist.

Discriminate is a hell of a loaded word for something that is... as simple as this is. People express gender differently in different languages, because gender is a highly language-dependent concept as a whole. It's certainly not a bad idea to let people express theirs, as it is in English, even in a limited form?

As for "discriminate", I guess I'm just mad as a translator about it :) Makes it completely impossible to preserve original style due to authors using gender literally absent in the other language.

It's not a bad idea to let people express theirs, but it's weird to add a global feature that isn't global. From my POV the engine should be as generic as possible, I wrote that later too. Less specific solutions for specific cases.

Or, if you mean expressing their gender in different languages, well they don't and/or I couldn't find; (please send URL if you can)
A lot of languages don't allow this at all due to their structure. For example, in something like French, Russian, Spanish there would be not just the pronouns but also word endings and "word gender" concept. Trying to change just the pronouns will be massively broken because you will see custom pronoun + whole next sentence gendered as "male" just because the words are constructed differently. It will be even worse. I'm not contradicting myself here because this is not an issue with GZDoom's translation system, this is an issue with the language which prevents easily adding new concepts. As in: not that we cannot translate, but there is nothing to translate to.
In Russian people still did not fully agree on how to use feminitives in relation to existing words... let alone this. (and not just "officially", but the actual native speaking community)

So if something is so controversial and narrow, I just don't see why should it be an engine feature and not a modification.

Marrub wrote:
ZZYZX wrote:I don't care though generally about the technical side, because it's not a significant issue

I'm going to be honest, you should probably not bring it up if it's not even relevant to your argument against this feature.

Not sure, reworded. My point was that technical issues exist but are not as blocking as non-technical. (considering a lot people derailed went deep somewhere into implementation)
For instance, discussing possibility to translate this, while in reality from my knowledge this is English-only phenomenon, at least I couldn't find such movements in other languages while searching.
So it's not as much "I don't care" (being useless statement) as "we don't need to care so much about it" (being reference to other posts before).

But honestly I agree about this part lol, I shouldn't write posts at 4 am
User avatar
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin
 
 
 
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Location: Ukraine
Discord: ZZYZX#1394
Github ID: jewalky

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby Apeirogon » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 pm

ZZYZX wrote:A lot of languages don't allow this at all due to their structure. For example, in something like French, Russian, Spanish there would be not just the pronouns but also word endings and "word gender" concept. Trying to change just the pronouns will be massively broken because you will see custom pronoun + whole next sentence gendered as "male" just because the words are constructed differently.

Yeeeeee....
For the native english speakers, who couldnt see the problem with it, how would you translate the "the", just "the", on other language?
Eehhhhhhhh, there is no translation for it. It just a limitation of a language that require to use it because....why? why is it used at all?...along with "a", "an" and other quite interesting (no) specifics of english language.
User avatar
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour
 
Joined: 12 Jun 2017

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby Rachael » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:10 pm

English uses those words as separators so that more important words don't get mushed together and also gives a statement some rhythm, which makes it easier to understand.
User avatar
Rachael
Admin
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby dpJudas » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:38 pm

I think what Apeirogon meant is that the word 'the' doesn't exist in many other languages. In danish, for example, "the" is part of the ending of a word. I.e. the danish word for "train" is "tog", and if you want to say "the train" in danish you'd say "toget". The "et" ending is the "the" word and also implies what gender a train is (it's a "thing" in danish - we have people and objects as our two gender types). It only gets even more complex than this in other languages.
dpJudas
 
 
 
Joined: 28 May 2016

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:53 pm

In Spanish we have gendered articles. So "The" becomes "El" for masculine, "La" for feminine, and "Lo" for neuter (does not include people, only abstract concepts [it's complicated]). Of course, it also has plural forms (Los/Las).
User avatar
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Crimester
 
 
 
Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Location: Vigo, Galicia
Discord: 霧雨魔理沙#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Custom pronouns

Postby ZZYZX » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:14 pm

Apeirogon wrote:Yeeeeee....
For the native english speakers, who couldnt see the problem with it, how would you translate the "the", just "the", on other language?
Eehhhhhhhh, there is no translation for it. It just a limitation of a language that require to use it because....why? why is it used at all?...along with "a", "an" and other quite interesting (no) specifics of english language.

In case of translating to Russian, this would translate indirectly as these words are hints on whether some object is a specific one (same as "this object") or an abstract one ("those objects" or "all objects of this kind" depending on context).
This is not a very good example I believe because it's still possible to translate without losing significant information, especially if reworded (spoiler: for a good translation you always have to reword sentences).
You can replace "a" or "the" with some word constructs that would hint to the exactly same extent if the object is specific or abstract.

The problem here is exactly that in many languages the concept of a "gender" is a lot stronger throughout the language (what Marisa or dpJudas said), while English is very neutral. It may seem like it's simple, but it's not.
And if in English it just equals to correct pronoun usage, in Russian you would even refer to yourself, in the 1st person, differently, depending if you are male or female.
Inserting a new gender here is not as simple as just adding a pronoun. This may need at least inventing new endings or in some cases inventing whole new structures.
User avatar
ZZYZX
le chat du rabbin
 
 
 
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Location: Ukraine
Discord: ZZYZX#1394
Github ID: jewalky

PreviousNext

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest