Sight Modifiers

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Skunk

Sight Modifiers

Post by Skunk »

I had this idea today at work. Is it possible to make it so if the player sees something happen, like say an explosion or an enemy, it triggers a result of some kind? This could be made for some one liners Duke Nukem style and also for some atomphospheric conditions like decreasing the hearing of the character if there was a close explosion or increase the characters sanity or make it so anytime something happens it increases the characters heartbeat... you see what I'm saying? Like, for example, enemy shows up on screen, fear heightened, heart beat increases a little. Enemy is just a zombie, so whatever. Kill it. Character calms down. Next room, three cyberdemons. The character about has a heart attack. That sort of thing. I dunno. Just rambling now. But you see what I'm getting at here?
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

All of that except "decreasing the hearing" could be done via ACs.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Are you sure? I don't think you understand exactly what I'm saying. I'm talking about whenever a certain sprite is seen on screen it can affect a certain value set in the ACS code, like an explosion.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Have the script triggered by a linedef, sector, or whatever, and then have the thing appear (be it through teleporting in, a wall lowering/raising, etc) as part of the script.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

See, I knew it. Dude, that's not what I meant. Not any specific one, but ALL. Take Duke Nukem. If you gib any enemy in DN3D, he says a one liner. All the time. Not just at certain times in the game like you're saying, but because the game recoginzed what happened and did it.

I'm having trouble explaining this. The idea I pictured in my head had Doomguy running around breathing a little heavy. As soon as the game saw a sprite of an imp, a value was increased to change the way he breathed. His breathing is now faster. An explosion happens. It increases even further. After seeing the death sprite of an imp, he calmed down. The breathing lowered. Then he opened the door and saw a Cyberdemon and paniced and his breathing really went out of control because a cyberdemon added more to the panic value than an imp or exploision. But not just that cyberdemon imp or explosion causes this panic value to increase, but all of them, and all the other things in the game the wad creator sets the value to. It would make the game more atmopsheric. And it can be used for other things like one liners, heartbeats, and other things.

I can't explain this very well. Ugh.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Why can't you just modify the enemies' gib sequences to have an ambientsound command (or an ACS_Execute that uses ambientsound, if that fails)? That would work just fine for the one-liner thing. Maybe I'll get an example wad up sometime soon.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

You'd need a helluva lot to be defined first and coded, such as the panic-o-meter, the heart rate and the chance for numerous triggers, which wouldprobably be very hard given the doom engines limitations.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

For the heartbeat & breathing, have every action which is supposed to make it faster increase a value in a script, and every action which is supposed to make it go slow decrease that value. The script would also constantly check what the value is, and play different sounds depending on the current value.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Sounds like a lot of hard work to me, but it would pay off in the end, no doubt about that.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Okay, those would work. Never mind then.
BetaSword

Post by BetaSword »

Even though things seemed solve, my interpretation of what Skunk meant would be kinda like this:

You're running along, see a barrel, and shoot it. Boom! Let's say, you have a script or something that makes it so that if the explosion is in your current line of vision, say, it'll change how you see, maybe by changing lighting or whatever, and slowly fading it back to normal, like the explosion hurt your eyes. But, say, you shoot a rocket at the barrel and quickly turn around, so the explosion isn't actually in your line of site, nothing happens.

Of course, I may have just butchered it, too.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

I meant what you saw modified your gameplay, but that'd be another example of this design.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”