[No] Support for more model formats

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Support for more model formats

Postby SPZ1 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:07 pm

I'm asking because Blender (which is freeware) would probably be a better modeller for GZDoom and IMO is better than MilkShape 3D (which costs $20). Basically, I would like to be able to put this model into GZDoom!! :mrgreen:

blender.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPZ1

Re: Support for more model formats

Postby InsanityBringer » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:28 pm

What's preventing you? You can use a tool like Noesis to convert a lot of model formats exportable from Blender into MD3s you can use in GZDoom. Supporting .blends would be absolute fucking overkill. The format needs to describe an entire scene with tons of information that makes absolutely no sense in a video game. It's just a waste and overcomplicates everything.
InsanityBringer

Discord: InsanityBringer#9908

Re: Support for more model formats

Postby Rachael » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:56 pm

I'm [no]ing this on the principle that it's simply not that easy. We actually were lucky enough that we had someone try some while back to implement bone model support and that didn't work out quite so well. Needless to say, without a significant amount of dedication and effort coming from externally to help us achieve this, it simply is not going to happen anytime soon.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions