Custom Hudmessage translations

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Xaser

Custom Hudmessage translations

Post by Xaser »

One thing that has been kind of annoying me about my custom palettes is that the hudmessage colors come out differently. Due to the way that ZDoom does its hudmessage translations (using RGB values instead of palette indexes), some colors simply don't turn out correct after being changed. For example, Zen Dynamics changes the shades of green in the palette. When the CR_GREEN translation is used, ZDoom tries to match according to the standard Doom palette's green values, which are not the same as Zen's. So therefore, ZDoom finds the closest match, which instead of the new shades of green, it picks the dark khaki olive-green shades that are used so frequently in drawing weapons because they look cool there. However, this is not the result I'm looking for. I'd like to be able to use the brighter shades of green in my Zen maps.

However, I am NOT suggesting a change in the way that Doom does its current hudmessage translations. Instead, I'm suggesting a way to create custom hudmessage translations with ACS. Basically, you could specify an RGB value (or ARGB, possibly, either way would be fine for me) and assign it an identifier (the CR_* value, such as CR_LIGHTGREEN or CR_SKYBLUE or something like that), which can then be used to specify color in a hudmessage.

I think this would help out quite a bit, and I'm sure that other people besides me would find this useful in some way or form. :P
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I most certainly would see use in this. I would love to have my hudmessage text appear black on screen, but thanks to the way my new palette (actually Powerslave's) works, it doesn't work out that way.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The font translations use a rather complicated formula which means it probably won't look good if such a simple method was used.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

In that case, what other methods can we use? Is there some possible way we can add something like this in, anyway?

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”