[No] Textured Overlay Automap

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Textured Overlay Automap

Postby DevilBlackDeath » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:35 pm

Hey,

I just realized something that seems to have actually seen no feature suggestion at all, which is the ability to make the Overlay automap textured. This may sound ridiculous at first but I think it could be a cool feature to still have the border of your view available (unless you're super zoomed or in a super cramped map there's a decent amount of dead zone in the fullscreen automap). Actually if it was present I'd probably set am_overlay to 2 and have some keybind switch between automap being on, then textured then off and untextured (don't know how feasible that is ZDoom's keybinding format though) or just to switch between textured untextured. Or maybe even have a new value for overlay than would switch between overlay textured and untextured ?

Anyway, I do wonder if anyone else would find that useful !
DevilBlackDeath

Re: Textured Overlay Automap

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:09 pm

That'd entirely negate the overlay view by obstructing it, so, no.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby DevilBlackDeath » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:33 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:That'd entirely negate the overlay view by obstructing it, so, no.

Oh the sectors appearing in black have no special definitions or things to differentiate them ? What I meant was to make OOB sectors or any area not defined as a sector to appear transparent ;) A bit like showing transparency instead of the AUTOPAGE (at least when an autopage is available). Since Hexen's textured automap still shows the AUTOPAGE wherever there's no sector I figured this was doable.
DevilBlackDeath

Postby Nash » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:45 pm

I can see it being somewhat useful if the texture has a controllable opacity level. Can't say I'd really use it, because I think the charm of the overlay mode is to present the automap in a much "minimalistic" style. That's just me.

At any rate, I'm indifferent to this. There are far more important issues with the automap, like the lack of a line thickness option, making the untextured automap unusable with 4k displays... :D
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby DevilBlackDeath » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:51 am

Nash wrote:I can see it being somewhat useful if the texture has a controllable opacity level. Can't say I'd really use it, because I think the charm of the overlay mode is to present the automap in a much "minimalistic" style. That's just me.

At any rate, I'm indifferent to this. There are far more important issues with the automap, like the lack of a line thickness option, making the untextured automap unusable with 4k displays... :D

Hmm should I make an overall automap enhancement thread listing all enhancements then ? Because I also saw a user suggesting in 2019 a way to have, alongside textured, a mode where each sector would be colored depending on the texture they used. Actually if I'm not wrong, I believed you were quite interested by this.

Also yeah the untextured automap is already hard to use on 1080p displays, so I dare not imagine what it is like on 4k...
DevilBlackDeath

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions