Possible?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

ace

Possible?

Post by ace »

This is another "would this be possible" thing, and if it isn't then it's a feature request. I'm pretty sure it isn't possible, but if it is just tell me. :p

Anyway, I think it would be nice to have the ability, using ACS, to control where the player is viewing? Something similar to a camera, but it's just controlling where the player is looking. What I mean is something like this:

Code: Select all

SetPlayerView(tid, X-angle, Y-angle);
Where the X-angle would be the normal horizontal angles (these ones) and the Y angles would determine where the player is looking at vertically. If this were in .97, which I hear is going to have full freelook, then the Y scale could be a number from 0-180, where 0 is straight down and 180 is straight up.

As for fluent movement from up to down or left to right, maybe it could be set up where if you had a line of code of one viewpoint, adding another one would cause the player to turn to that viewpoint. However in this case it would have a different code so it would be more flexible. In other words, here's what I'm thinking:

Code: Select all

SetPlayerProperty(1, 1, PROP_TOTALLY_FROZEN);
SetPlayerView(1, 64, 0);
ChangePlayerView(tid, direction, speed, X-angle, Y-angle);
This means that the player would not be able to move or look (at their own will), the player's view would be forced to north directly forward, and then they would look to another spot in a certain direction at a certain speed.

The direction would be determined by 0 or 1, i.e. left or right. Up and down would be unnecessary, as the up and down movement is limited as opposed to a full 360 degrees.

So, what do you think? :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

SetAngle already exists so all that would be needed is a SetPitch function to achieve it. The rest could be done with ACS then.
Medricel

Post by Medricel »

What next? Have the player view track an object?
ace

Post by ace »

Hey, that's not a bad idea! :p

As for SetAngle existing, there should most definitely be a SetPitch.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Question, since I'm too lazy and tired to search- GetAngle and GetPitch? I'd love to make ACS games that use the mouse for input.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”