This is necassary, trust me!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Phobus

This is necassary, trust me!

Post by Phobus »

Right, all of you may or may not no about the water resource wad I'm making.

Well it includes monsters made specifically for water (the fish is one I've actually made, go to the announcement thread in Editing to see what it's all about)

I need a way to make it so that there is a script or sector-action item, that will stop any things with the right TID going beyond a certain Z-coordinate. This will stop the fish 'swimming' out of the water and into the air. And following you that way.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yes please. This would be very useful for "fishy" enemies. At present they are restricted to being placed in pipes and other places where they can't access the water surface.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I know, it's awkward when I jump out of the water in my test wad (not to be released) and start to gloat at them thinking one of my attempts at stopping might work, only to have a swarm of nasty looking fish fly after me.

That was actually what made me request.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Or how about a +NOWATERCROSS flag?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

which would do what?

I want to limit the Z-height atainable for actors with same TID as object, with something like this.

(It's one of those sector_action things)
(TID,Z-height limit.)

or it could be so that it is placed at the Z-height you want it to have, and that stops them going that high.

Something like that, because it would be simple and easy to do for whatever enemies you like, just remember to tag appropriately, and it might take a bit of clever level editing with water at the same height on all (if there is more than one) entry areas, which would be realistic anyway.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

I think a flag (whether it be a thing or sector flag) which prevents a creature passing through the surface of "deep water" would be easier - both for whoever codes it and us mod makers/level designers.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

ok, if that would be easier, because the deep water goes in the control sector, and the control sector is the one that is coloured and has to have it's floor height as the surface of the water, but it acts as the underwater part, which might make it difficult. But whatever is easier, just as long as it gets done. Of course I'd have to put the flag on any monsters I make in the wad I'm making, but so far that's only one i'd have to change.
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

I think that this functionality would open up whole new environments for developers.

My recommendation would be to implement it as a monster flag, so that the mapper can decide just which monsters should be restricted this way.

After all I can see a place for flying piranha in a map, can't you :)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Well my fish don't make it look good at all, trust me on that one. Basically, we need to get a way of stopping monsters from going so high/flying out of a deepwater sector/stopping them going above a fake floor.
Sphagne

Post by Sphagne »

Well, this is one of my older requests. Hope you have more luck in this. :wink:
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

It's a definite must have, or so it would seem.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”