Blood on sprites?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

User avatar
Cutmanmike
Posts: 11253
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:41 pm
Discord: https://discord.gg/Whts7Bj
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Cutmanmike »

Not to mention LWM's models look HORRIBLY out of place with the rest of the doom world.
NiGHTMARE
Posts: 3460
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:39 am

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Nmn wrote:Such look badly.

Only if you don't edit them afterwards... though that would rather negate the speed of making models ;).
User avatar
Nmn
Posts: 4604
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:41 pm

Post by Nmn »

Nash wrote:The problem with LWM's rendered sprites is that they were modelled in such a way that you can see the seams between the limbs. What she did was she just put together a bunch of primitives on top of each other. This makes the models look kind of amateur-ish. :/

I don't blame her though because DOGA's modelling tools are very limited, the last time I tried it. Back then she pointed to a link to the exact version she used for her models and I wasn't impressed with the program.

She could have used box modelling techniques or better yet, sub division modelling. There's a freeware modelling tool that can do all that called Anim8or and some of the models that were made in Anim8or are breath-taking.

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

Nice to see I'm not the sole person in the universe with these. My toughts exactly nigga! :D
User avatar
Nash
 
 
Posts: 17282
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:07 am
Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post by Nash »

nmn - werd up yo, sup homie

Anyway, back on topic - for people that DO use pre-rendered models for their sprites, the idea of "damage skins" are somewhat possible, but the problem with A_JumpIfHealthLower is that you probably won't have enough frames to put the damaged skins. You only have 26 frames after all. :(

Which really sucks because I've been toying around with pre-rendered models and it's such a shame that I can only make 4-frame walk animations. Imagine how much better the game will look with characters that have 32-frame walk animations...

And before someone says, "3-d models sux0rz, pixel art 4eva" - yes, I do agree too, I myself prefer spriting to modelling (still new to this modelling stuff), but it gets VERY tiring when I have to sprite 8 direction sprites. Not to mention that it's hard to get them perspectively correct. I love spriting side-scrolling platform game sprites though. :D I wonder how did they manage to make damn smooth sprites with the Metal Slug games though. o_O
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Posts: 47962
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Germany

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:nmn - werd up yo, sup homie

Anyway, back on topic - for people that DO use pre-rendered models for their sprites, the idea of "damage skins" are somewhat possible, but the problem with A_JumpIfHealthLower is that you probably won't have enough frames to put the damaged skins. You only have 26 frames after all. :(


Just use a different sprite. There are some monsters in Hexen and Strife that use more than 26 frames.
User avatar
Nmn
Posts: 4604
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:41 pm

Post by Nmn »

Nash wrote:Which really sucks because I've been toying around with pre-rendered models and it's such a shame that I can only make 4-frame walk animations. Imagine how much better the game will look with characters that have 32-frame walk animations...

With decorate You can create much longer and smoother animations. I only needed to make a sprite of 6 frame-long animation to see it looked much better than plain 4 frame anims.
Nash wrote:And before someone says, "3-d models sux0rz, pixel art 4eva" - yes, I do agree too, I myself prefer spriting to modelling (still new to this modelling stuff), but it gets VERY tiring when I have to sprite 8 direction sprites. Not to mention that it's hard to get them perspectively correct. I love spriting side-scrolling platform game sprites though. :D I wonder how did they manage to make damn smooth sprites with the Metal Slug games though. o_O

Yes, getting everything done in proper perspectives and animation (so one ensures it's all correct) requires many years of practice IMO. Sure one could learn this stuff, but then making all the frames is a real pain.
There are many techniques on making pixel-artized sprites smooth, like antialiasing ;)
User avatar
Phobus
Posts: 5984
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 10:56 am
Location: London

Post by Phobus »

I do things the good oldpixel by pixel paint way. It seems to work, as the two monsters I've finished so far look fine.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”