ACS animation control.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Jehar

ACS animation control.

Post by Jehar »

Shot in the dark here.
I think it would be highly advantageous if acs had control over ANIMDEFS animations. Something to the effect of
StartAnim(texture\flat name)
and stop and whathaveyou.
This would give editors to have vast control over when and where animations play, opening up all sorts of possibilities.

Okay. Enough crap. Feature suggesting will get me nowhere. What I really want is some way to accomplish this without the use of line ids.
Any help would be highly cookie-awarding.

EDIT: So as I understand it... there is no way to control when animations play, and they are always going as defined in animdefs.... no control whatsoever... O_o
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: ACS animation control.

Post by Graf Zahl »

Jehar wrote: Okay. Enough crap. Feature suggesting will get me nowhere. What I really want is some way to accomplish this without the use of line ids.
Any help would be highly cookie-awarding.
You can't. Without line id's you can't specify the line and hence can't manipulate it.

EDIT: So as I understand it... there is no way to control when animations play, and they are always going as defined in animdefs.... no control whatsoever... O_o
Unless you script your animation yourself. And that's why there is no new feature here. You can do anything you want with a line's texture in a script so there is no need to add anything.
Jehar

Post by Jehar »

Yes, but that would defeat the purpose of having a global animation as opposed to a line-id specific one. Therin lies the problem.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Then you have to give all lines you want to animate the same line id. Where's the problem?
Jehar

Post by Jehar »

Animating random lines at random intervals... the way you describe would work, though all lines of like texture would animate at the same time... not quite the effect I wish to achieve.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Then give each line a separate line id and animate them separately. There are no simple solutions to issues like this one.
Jehar

Post by Jehar »

I am afraid you are right... I was not going for simple so much as... not so cumbersome and bulky\huge, fugly in general.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

All you wanted was to move your own dirty work into the engine. ;)
Jehar

Post by Jehar »

Simply because it seems so obvious to have global control over animations. I fail to see why that seems so outrageous. Seems obvious to me, but then again I am tired and bitchy.
Darkhaven

Re: ACS animation control.

Post by Darkhaven »

Graf Zahl wrote: You can't. Without line id's you can't specify the line and hence can't manipulate it.
In theory, yes you can. For example, you can have a special texture set with a prefix, let's say DRPOCxx (the prefix used for Animations in the Punisher TC), that the script in question checks for on script startup. If the DRPOC number that is referenced in the script is found, it is then manipulated.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”