[Not a request] NEW TOPIC! [For more creative freedom]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

NEW TOPIC! [For more creative freedom]

Postby Logan MTM » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:08 pm

Things have changed here for the last decade
Spoiler:

Things have changed around here the last decade.
This was rude and unnecessary because the topic had only one month.
"SoulPriesst" from DRDTeam? You were more polite :wink:

Graf Zahl wrote:How would you define a normal for something that is just supposed to be a 2D projection of a 3D object that looks fake no matter what you do? For this reason there is no per-pixel lighting on sprites to begin with.

Can someone tell me the shape of a wall, floor or ceiling? Why do they have support for materials? Why sprites support brightmaps?
Thanks GZ for the beautiful brightmap feature that allowed me to create beautiful lighting effects in the past.
I'm trying to do the same today.
We need creative freedom and that cannot be denied due to matters of particular taste. Let people express their creativity.

Decals, everything revolves around decals and wallsprites.

I can no longer do lighting effects as I did 10 years ago in Legacy of Suffering because ALL maps FULLY pbr textured do not match with lamp decals without materials.

Please, if it's already possible and it's just a matter of "it's ugly", let the mappers work.

All the best for everyone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Logan MTM
I can see you...

Re: NEW TOPIC! [For more creative freedom]

Postby phantombeta » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:22 pm

Decals already have per-pixel lighting and support for materials. This was added in 4.4.0.

As for sprites, it has nothing to do with "being ugly". It's a matter of it not being trivial to do.
Brightmaps look the same no matter what happens to the sprite, because they're not directional - point and spot lights, meanwhile, are very much directional, and per-pixel lighting changes depending on the angle between the normal vector of the pixel and the direction from the light to the pixel. Sprites billboard to align with your view, walls and models don't. You can't just slap normal per-pixel lighting code on sprites and expect it to work.
This would need a fair amount of work to be possible. Notice that the thread you're quoting doesn't say it will never happen, it says we won't or cannot do it, but if someone else codes it and makes a pull request, it'll very likely be added.
phantombeta
In the meadow of sinful thoughts, every flower's a perfect one

Location: Brazil, South America, Earth, Orion-Cygnus Arm, Milky Way
Discord: phantombeta#2461
Twitch ID: phantombeta_
Github ID: Doom2fan
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Logan MTM » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:51 pm

phantombeta wrote:Decals already have per-pixel lighting and support for materials. This was added in 4.4.0.

This is really good to know! Help me a lot. Thank you!

How exactly works for decal sprites? Cus seems not working :?
Logan MTM
I can see you...

Postby Rachael » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 pm

Logan MTM wrote:Things have changed here for the last decade

Things have changed around here the last decade.
This was rude and unnecessary because the topic had only one month.
"SoulPriesst" from DRDTeam? You were more polite :wink:

Sorry.

Sometimes it's not about how long since it's been bumped - but more what it has been bumped with.

4.4.0 is for all intents and purposes ancient news, right now, because of the two point releases that have come since. If you're gonna bump something - at least bump the most recent version. Otherwise - if it's not relevant to 4.4.0 directly in some way that somehow isn't relevant to 4.4.1 and 4.4.2, then yeah, it gets shuffled off as it did.

More to the point, I realize you are expressing frustration that a feature you want hasn't been completed yet. Moreover you completed the thought with an expression of said frustration, making it clear what it was. This would've been better as a post in the Feature Suggestions forum (as you have done for this thread) - and with some details fleshed out - and even if it would've been closed as a duplicate, that's still better than bumping a news topic for it.

What you ended up doing was pushing 4.4.0 to the top of the news forum with a relatively irrelevant post - and that is often annoying to people, which is why it went to the Gallery with an annoyed response.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions