A clientside-only CVar that does not get synced

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

A clientside-only CVar that does not get synced

Post by Guest »

What says on the tin. This is for storing local data in the ini and nothing more. Obviously it's not supposed to work with multiplayer. I'm requesting this because server CVars have a buffer overflow with long strings and user CVars have a length limit. This suggestion seems to be the only real solution here that doesn't involve splitting the data into multiple CVars like I'm doing right now. That approach works, but for how long nobody knows. I'd rather get rid of such workarounds.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: A clientside-only CVar that does not get synced

Post by Matt »

Surely if this could be implemented the limits on the actually-supposed-to-be-synced cvars would have long been removed by now?
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: A clientside-only CVar that does not get synced

Post by m8f »

PR to extend nosave cvars to bypass network code: https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/pull/1016

nosave cvars are meant to be used as a storage for statistical data that doesn't affect gameplay. That's why this data isn't saved to the savefile in the first place. Therefore, there is no point in sending this data over network. It would have no meaning on machines other than local.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”