[No] Request for a PS Vita Port of GZDoom

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Request for a PS Vita Port of GZDoom

Postby johnf1nk » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:34 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't really know where this would go. I would like to request a port of GZDoom for the PS Vita. Chocolate Doom has been ported to the vita and I would much rather use GZDoom to build sweet GL Rendered maps and play them on the vita.

I understand this request may be in the wrong play or may not even be considered. Thank you for your time and I still love GZDoom and have for years. Thank you.

**EDIT**

Sorry for the confusion I miswrote, I meant a port of GQDOOM For PS VITA. I guess I could just use chocolate doom but GL would be nice.
Last edited by johnf1nk on Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnf1nk

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Request for a PS Vita Port of GZDoom Builder

Postby Rachael » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:40 pm

This does not go in GZDoom's feature suggestions because we do not have any influence over the GZDoom Builder project.

What this will require for this to come to fruition is two things: A developer who has a PS Vita, and a developer who wants to run GZDB on a PS Vita. These two things are incredibly unlikely.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Request for a PS Vita Port of GZDoom

Postby johnf1nk » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Sorry, I miswrote. What I was requesting which might still be out of luck is a port of GZDoom for the vita. Chocolate Doom is well not GZDoom. I can keep hope.
johnf1nk

Postby Rachael » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:59 pm

Oh, I see, okay. I moved it back for you. This is likely to be [No]'d for the same reasons though - unless we have a developer who is interested in this, something like this is likely to only ever appear in a fork.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:57 am

Rachael wrote:This is likely to be [No]'d for the same reasons though - unless we have a developer who is interested in this, something like this is likely to only ever appear in a fork.

Correct. There's nobody here who could do it.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Jack Hammledock » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:15 am

Well, My hope is dying. I did find a gl wrapper at https://github.com/Rinnegatamante/vitaGL which has been used to port a number of games including quake. If I knew anything about C/C++ I would look into forking it myself but alas this is not the case. So I should give up hope is what you are saying :(
Jack Hammledock

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:11 am

That library doesn't look like it supports everything GZDoom needs, and even then it'd only be half the story. I don't have such a device and it's unlikely any other developer here has.
Graf Zahl

Postby Gez » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:15 am

Jack Hammledock wrote:Well, My hope is dying. I did find a gl wrapper at https://github.com/Rinnegatamante/vitaGL which has been used to port a number of games including quake. If I knew anything about C/C++ I would look into forking it myself but alas this is not the case. So I should give up hope is what you are saying :(

You could try going to Vita forums (reddits/facebooks/discords/whatever) to find homebrew developers who might be interested in porting GZDoom or perhaps LZDoom (not sure which one would be the easiest to port, I have zero idea about the Vita's hardware capabilities).
Gez

Postby Redneckerz » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:26 am

Graf Zahl wrote:That library doesn't look like it supports everything GZDoom needs, and even then it'd only be half the story. I don't have such a device and it's unlikely any other developer here has.

Rinne is probably the best bet however, considering he has ported even Redneck Rampage to Vita through the NRedneck port, and has ported various id games with GL support to the machine and made them available as cores in RetroArch.

So if there is one developer willing to do that, it would be him.

But, as i understand Rinne's time is not ever lasting so its not likely it will be a thing. And even if he would consider GZDoom, he better look into older GL ports - ZDoomGL or an old GZDoom build that corresponds with his VitaGL wrapper. As impressive as it is, a current GZDoom build is way out of the question.

Gez wrote:I have zero idea about the Vita's hardware capabilities).

Its pretty potent stuff: It supports relatively modern shaders, it has its own VRAM framebuffer (As compared to every other mobile device out there has to share it with system ram) and its API support is pretty good too. The real issues are more with the low frequency of the quad Cortex A9 cores. Every regular ole Android machine has those at 1.2 Ghz at minimum, but for power conservation, they run at max 500 mhz each.

All in all its a pretty piece of kit, but any port needs to take these things into account. GZDoom, especially later builds, contain a lot of code that hypothetically could run on the thing (Because of its shader support, but likely has to be rewritten to be mobile specific) but elaborated mapsets that do a lot of visual trickery (Stuff like Blade of Agony) would run on a crawl.

Hence its best to look at older renderers, or use DoomGLES or any other port that already targets OpenGLES as a base first and formost. Rougly, we are talking about OG XBox visual performance but with much better shader support and a heap more memory compared to that machine (rougly).
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Jack Hammledock » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:43 am

Yeah, the Vita is a nice piece of hardware to be sure. I was looking the older builds of GZDoom as the focal point of the port. I wrote Rinne an email pleading for him to do a port for the Vita. I doubt I will get it but it doesn't hurt to ask any how.
Jack Hammledock

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:12 am

Redneckerz wrote:Rinne is probably the best bet however, considering he has ported even Redneck Rampage to Vita through the NRedneck port, and has ported various id games with GL support to the machine and made them available as cores in RetroArch.

The Build engine games would be a lot easier to port because they essentially all target OpenGL 2.0 with the ability to use a few more recent extensions.
GZDoom won't even start without OpenGL 3.3 these days, a stripped down version of LZDoom might indeed be a better option.
Graf Zahl

Postby Apeirogon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:23 am

PS vita is too for gzdoom old in terms of hardware.
So you better switch to nintendo switch (tautology), its far more powerful and already have gzdoom port.
Apeirogon
I have a strange sense of humour

Postby johnf1nk » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:38 am

Apeirogon wrote:PS vita is too for gzdoom old in terms of hardware.
So you better switch to nintendo switch (tautology), its far more powerful and already have gzdoom port.

I don't think it is a matter specifically for the hardware as much as GL version which Vita doesn't have native GL. I've put it out to the reddit community asking if anyone would be interested in porting LZDoom, which is a good compromise as it gets a lot of the core functionality that people would expect minus the super intensive overhead and GL requirements.
johnf1nk

Postby Redneckerz » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:55 am

Jack Hammledock wrote:Yeah, the Vita is a nice piece of hardware to be sure. I was looking the older builds of GZDoom as the focal point of the port. I wrote Rinne an email pleading for him to do a port for the Vita. I doubt I will get it but it doesn't hurt to ask any how.

Then you are better off starting with LZDoom as that includes a host of bugfixes and targets older OpenGL versions.

Do note that porting is no easy task. Just because it so happens that Rinne is a one man port production factory, does not mean everyone is.

Another possible applicant would be Ptitseb who has done a huge amount of ports to the OpenPandora handheld (ARM and PowerSGX based). However, i doubt he has a Vita to attempt anything there.

Graf Zahl wrote:The Build engine games would be a lot easier to port because they essentially all target OpenGL 2.0 with the ability to use a few more recent extensions.
GZDoom won't even start without OpenGL 3.3 these days, a stripped down version of LZDoom might indeed be a better option.

Among the Redneck port and i believe Blood, Rinne has also ported Star Trek Voyager Holomatch, OpenArena/Quake 3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Quake 1, Quake 2 and also Doom 3 as a Retroarch core (Not on Vita) AFAIK his Build ports (NRedneck/EDuke32) do not yet use VitaGL and are thus not accelerated.
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby johnf1nk » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:54 pm

What would you say the minimum system requirements for LZDoom, I'm talking to Renni right now about doing a port but I can't seem to find a system requirements specification anywhere and this was the first thing he asked me.
johnf1nk

Next

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions