[No] GLOVE: GL Over Vulkan

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: GLOVE: GL Over Vulkan

Postby drfrag » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:37 am

But this is a GLES to Vulkan wrapper not the other way around. You need a card natively supporting Vulkan and GZDoom already has a Vulkan renderer, this is to run GLES applications over Vulkan. I'm not sure if the OP knows what this is, think of a wrapper as some kind of emulator.
I know there are good D3D to Vulkan and OpenGL wrappers and i think OpenGL to Vulkan too, i don't think there are any Vulkan to OpenGL for old cards like the old crappy OpenGL to D3D wrappers and i doubt that would work.
On LZDoom obviously i can't rewrite the renderer and a would not do it, i considered a miniGL (2.1) backend only for software but the future of legacy support is in the SoftPoly II (tm) renderer or rasterizer or whatever.
LZDoom doesn't only target GL 2.1 but also 3.3 and higher hardware with broken drivers, until recently when Blzut3 got me some recent hardware i could not run modern GZDoom on my 3.3 ATI/AMD card (it crashed in a few seconds).
About plans: i want to continue LZDoom development for now and there are other WIP things i plan to do with ZDoom, that is if i manage to get some support to pay a new internet connection. But hey a project with several thousand downloads should not have any problem to get at least 50€ for an internet connection (i haven't checked offers yet) even when it's mainly targeted to poor guys like me. I'm mostly offline now but for now development continues at a slower pace and like i said in the thread i'll most likely do another release very soon.
User avatar
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Location: Spain
Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Re: GLOVE: GL Over Vulkan

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:00 am

drfrag wrote:i considered a miniGL (2.1) backend only for software but the future of legacy support is in the SoftPoly II (tm) renderer or rasterizer or whatever.
LZDoom doesn't only target GL 2.1 but also 3.3 and higher hardware with broken drivers, until recently when Blzut3 got me some recent hardware i could not run modern GZDoom on my 3.3 ATI/AMD card (it crashed in a few seconds).


Here's the really interesting question then: We all know that all OpenGL 2.x hardware still in existence is creepingly slow and will probably be better served by the new polybackend rasterizer than by native GL 2 support. Do you plan to continue LZDoom or focus on other things that may be more prodiuctive with greater usefulness then?
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Re: GLOVE: GL Over Vulkan

Postby Rachael » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:37 am

We actually need some honest testing of that backend over said hardware.
User avatar
Rachael
Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: GLOVE: GL Over Vulkan

Postby drfrag » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:02 am

The term productive is relative, i already did some things for the software renderer and now that polybackend is active again...
But i plan to continue with LZDoom for now too, or whatever helps me to pay an internet connection.
User avatar
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Location: Spain
Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Re: GLOVE: GL Over Vulkan

Postby Redneckerz » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:48 pm

drfrag wrote:But this is a GLES to Vulkan wrapper not the other way around. You need a card natively supporting Vulkan and GZDoom already has a Vulkan renderer, this is to run GLES applications over Vulkan. I'm not sure if the OP knows what this is, think of a wrapper as some kind of emulator.

Yeah, i know. Its nigh on useless for the time being. I just got wrapped around the potential of it all.

drfrag wrote:About plans: i want to continue LZDoom development for now and there are other WIP things i plan to do with ZDoom, that is if i manage to get some support to pay a new internet connection. But hey a project with several thousand downloads should not have any problem to get at least 50€ for an internet connection (i haven't checked offers yet) even when it's mainly targeted to poor guys like me. I'm mostly offline now but for now development continues at a slower pace and like i said in the thread i'll most likely do another release very soon.

Crazy and wild idea: Wouldn't an system exist that monetizes your downloads in a similar fashion to the Google Rewards program? Those who download, the monetization program/initative donates a few pennies (It has to be small, obviously). Given the download amount, that could earn yourself a penny.

Crazy and wild, mind you, because i have yet to find a system that actually does that in the way ive described.
User avatar
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team
 
Joined: 25 Nov 2019
Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: GLOVE: GL Over Vulkan

Postby wildweasel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:14 pm

Money doesn't just get given away per download as is. Usually such schemes involve software bundling (a terrible, horrible evil that has driven me away from many a free program) or ad support (screw that, too).
User avatar
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2003

Re: GLOVE: GL Over Vulkan

Postby drfrag » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:47 am

No need to monetize anything, a guy has already given 20€ through GoFundMe (thanks!). I've found an offer for 40€, i wonder if it's real (Lowi).
Is there any problem with LiberaPay? I could also send my PayPal acount directly in a PM. I tried to create a Patreon but the page said i chose a premium account and i did not.
User avatar
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 23 Apr 2004
Location: Spain
Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Previous

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests