GLOVE: GL Over Vulkan

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: GLOVE: GL Over Vulkan

Post by drfrag »

But this is a GLES to Vulkan wrapper not the other way around. You need a card natively supporting Vulkan and GZDoom already has a Vulkan renderer, this is to run GLES applications over Vulkan. I'm not sure if the OP knows what this is, think of a wrapper as some kind of emulator.
I know there are good D3D to Vulkan and OpenGL wrappers and i think OpenGL to Vulkan too, i don't think there are any Vulkan to OpenGL for old cards like the old crappy OpenGL to D3D wrappers and i doubt that would work.
On LZDoom obviously i can't rewrite the renderer and a would not do it, i considered a miniGL (2.1) backend only for software but the future of legacy support is in the SoftPoly II (tm) renderer or rasterizer or whatever.
LZDoom doesn't only target GL 2.1 but also 3.3 and higher hardware with broken drivers, until recently when Blzut3 got me some recent hardware i could not run modern GZDoom on my 3.3 ATI/AMD card (it crashed in a few seconds).
About plans: i want to continue LZDoom development for now and there are other WIP things i plan to do with ZDoom, that is if i manage to get some support to pay a new internet connection. But hey a project with several thousand downloads should not have any problem to get at least 50€ for an internet connection (i haven't checked offers yet) even when it's mainly targeted to poor guys like me. I'm mostly offline now but for now development continues at a slower pace and like i said in the thread i'll most likely do another release very soon.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

drfrag wrote:i considered a miniGL (2.1) backend only for software but the future of legacy support is in the SoftPoly II (tm) renderer or rasterizer or whatever.
LZDoom doesn't only target GL 2.1 but also 3.3 and higher hardware with broken drivers, until recently when Blzut3 got me some recent hardware i could not run modern GZDoom on my 3.3 ATI/AMD card (it crashed in a few seconds).
Here's the really interesting question then: We all know that all OpenGL 2.x hardware still in existence is creepingly slow and will probably be better served by the new polybackend rasterizer than by native GL 2 support. Do you plan to continue LZDoom or focus on other things that may be more prodiuctive with greater usefulness then?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

We actually need some honest testing of that backend over said hardware.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

The term productive is relative, i already did some things for the software renderer and now that polybackend is active again...
But i plan to continue with LZDoom for now too, or whatever helps me to pay an internet connection.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

drfrag wrote:But this is a GLES to Vulkan wrapper not the other way around. You need a card natively supporting Vulkan and GZDoom already has a Vulkan renderer, this is to run GLES applications over Vulkan. I'm not sure if the OP knows what this is, think of a wrapper as some kind of emulator.
Yeah, i know. Its nigh on useless for the time being. I just got wrapped around the potential of it all.
drfrag wrote: About plans: i want to continue LZDoom development for now and there are other WIP things i plan to do with ZDoom, that is if i manage to get some support to pay a new internet connection. But hey a project with several thousand downloads should not have any problem to get at least 50€ for an internet connection (i haven't checked offers yet) even when it's mainly targeted to poor guys like me. I'm mostly offline now but for now development continues at a slower pace and like i said in the thread i'll most likely do another release very soon.
Crazy and wild idea: Wouldn't an system exist that monetizes your downloads in a similar fashion to the Google Rewards program? Those who download, the monetization program/initative donates a few pennies (It has to be small, obviously). Given the download amount, that could earn yourself a penny.

Crazy and wild, mind you, because i have yet to find a system that actually does that in the way ive described.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Money doesn't just get given away per download as is. Usually such schemes involve software bundling (a terrible, horrible evil that has driven me away from many a free program) or ad support (screw that, too).
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

No need to monetize anything, a guy has already given 20€ through GoFundMe (thanks!). I've found an offer for 40€, i wonder if it's real (Lowi).
Is there any problem with LiberaPay? I could also send my PayPal acount directly in a PM. I tried to create a Patreon but the page said i chose a premium account and i did not.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”