[Old] A suggestion about the forum

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

A suggestion about the forum

Postby HobbsTiger1 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:27 am

I know I'm going to get flamed but I don't care.

Something needs to be done about Off-Topic. We either need an intelligent discussion area and random crap area, or moderators, or a post hell thing like doomworld or something. Off-Topic is getting scary. I'm serious. It's really bad when someone tries to kill the story game by jesusifying it. The Off-Topic area is for a great deal of the time not even sane. So randy, I know your tired of the crap and I know it's partially my fault but would you please do something about this.
HobbsTiger1
Might be banned

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:20 am

Agreed. The Off-Topic forum is mostly an unhealthy place and as a result I don't go there that often anymore - and if I do I don't read the utter crap that is being posted there.

It seems that many members of this community are losing all control when posting there - and this is getting worse every week. And as sad as it is, it seems the Off-Topic forum is the one most in need of strict moderation. Isn't that ironic?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Kirby » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:24 am

I'll second this one.
Kirby
Soon to be chastized

Postby Enjay » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:06 am

Some of the threads in off-topic can be fun, amusing, an interesting exercise etc etc. All too often, however, they are just getting cluttered up with mornic posts. A lot of them are the infuriating attempting to "break the thread" style of posts like "Jesus" posts, multiple image and image quoting, huge numbers of emoticons, wide text etc. It's not big and it's not clever. Just stop it! :grr:

The off topic forum does seem to have reduced the number of pointless and spammy posts in the main body of the forum (as was the intention), but the off topic area itself has become a messy, cluttered, inefficient place that is increasingly difficult to navigate and increasingly pointless to visit.

Remember people, offtopic doesn't have to mean post shit here. It can, and should IMO, mean post interesting/worthwhile but off topic stuff here. You should be able to have an off topic discussion without behaving like a retard. If you can't, you shouldn't be posting anything.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:49 am

Or a moderator?....... *shot by 95683496839 people*
Cutmanmike
Is it hot in here or is it just ZScript

Discord: https://discord.gg/Whts7Bj
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby anonone » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:54 am

I'll have to agree with getting a little more moderation on that forum. Though there are some interesting things in there, and some that are actually pretty amusing (the Google Image Wars, for one), there's a lot of OMGIMPSE or JESUS?! getting thrown in.

HobbsTiger1 wrote:We either need an intelligent discussion area and random crap area ...

Random Crap would be an excellent title. There are people asking honest questions in there, and they probably don't need to see most of the other threads on that board -- I like the idea of a separate serious off-topic forum that also has moderation in place to keep things in line. However, I guess it'd be a matter of figuring out who's going to moderate it.
anonone
Decidedly average

Postby Enjay » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:00 am

If it is just crap, then is should go the way of crap, and get flushed down the pan.
Enjay

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:10 am

Yes, it should be flushed. Without warning and without any way to see it again. The spamming will probably stop immediately if the effect is completely wasted.

But right now it is hard to find the interesting stuff among all the crap. Even the decent threads have been spammed to death by some idiots (which amazingly seem to be able to behave elsewhere...)
Graf Zahl

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:52 am

....Oops
Cutmanmike

Postby Enjay » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:29 am

Graf Zahl wrote:(which amazingly seem to be able to behave elsewhere...)

Thereby proving that they can. So we are left wondering why they don't always. :?
Enjay

Postby Grubber » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:42 am

:shock:

Almost all stuff from off-topic disappeared
Grubber
I can wire anything directly into anything. I am the professor!

Postby HobbsTiger1 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:14 am

May I pesonally say, randy, thank you. The Off-Tpoic forum badly needed a new slate. While this may drive a few members away it is of my opinion that such members were of little or no benefit to the community anyway, so it makes little difference. In fact this purging of topics may serve as a wake up call to many in the community. Again, thanks.
HobbsTiger1
Might be banned

Postby Risen » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:27 am

If it were up to me, that whole section would have been deleted long ago.
Risen

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:43 am

That was desperately needed. Let's hope it doesn't get crapped like that again.
Graf Zahl

Postby Cutmanmike » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:42 am

Am I the only one not happy....? THE ZDOOM STORY GAEM HAS BEEN ENDED :cry:
Cutmanmike

Next

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions