MAPINFO: Add a "maplump" parameter

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

MAPINFO: Add a "maplump" parameter

Post by Guest »

I am making a mapset where I want the same map to appear multiple times (a difficulty selection map at the start of each episode), and I don't know of any way to do this easily without duplicating the map.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a "maplump" property in MAPINFO, which would allow us to define the same entry multiple times, and instead of using the map lump from the name in the MAPINFO file, it will instead use the map lump pointed by maplump. This way our mapinfo entry can have all the correct details we need for the duplicated version, and it will point to the actual map lump we need.

An example of this would be:

map MYMAP lookup "HUSTR_E1M1"
{
next = "E1M2"
secretnext = "E1M9"
sky1 = "D1SKY1"
cluster = 1
par = 30
music = "$MUSIC_E1M1"
exitpic = "$IN_E1"
enterpic = "$IN_E1"
InterMusic = "D_INTER"
BorderTexture = "FLOOR7_2"
maplump = "E1M1"
}

This would effectively clone E1M1 to a new map slot. using "changemap MYMAP" would take us here, and for all intents and purposes MYMAP exists as a valid map, but it has the layout of E1M1
Gez

Re: MAPINFO: Add a "maplump" parameter

Post by Gez »

You could extend your skill selection map to also be an episode selection map.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

I would say that this is unnecessary as this sort of situation doesn't crop up much, and when this sort of thing does come up there's another way to do it that arguably looks better, as gez said.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I know precisely one mod ever needing that and that was Daedalus with its travel tube.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”