[No] Two suggestions from my end

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Two suggestions from my end

Postby Apprentice » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:55 am

I would like to make the following two suggestions:

1) Addition of commentary nodes/sprites
Similar of those found in HL2's episodes, where developers can lay out some detailed specifics and design choices regarding certain areas of their project/map.

2) Addition of a screenshot2 or screenshot_plus command
Identical to the screenshot command but with the addition that it takes only a screenshot of the level itself and disregards the HUD, cross-hair and other items that are being placed on screen. In somewhat comparable to the idtech3 command below:

Code: Select allExpand view
bind KP_enter "cg_draw2d 0;cg_drawgun 0; wait 5; screenshot; wait 5; toggle cg_draw2d; toggle cg_drawgun"
Apprentice

Discord: Apprentice#7105

Re: Two suggestions from my end

Postby _mental_ » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:26 am

1. Will you write all the content for this feature?
2. What’s the point of extending the engine if you can achieve the same with an alias?
_mental_

Postby Matt » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:45 pm

Code: Select allExpand view
alias hudlessshot "r_drawplayersprites 0;crosshairon 0;screenblocks 12;wait 1;screenshot;wait 1;r_drawplayersprites 1;crosshairon 1;screenblocks 10;"
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Rachael » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:35 pm

I personally think making the hudless screenshot an internal feature isn't a bad idea. Who's going to remember all those commands, or even bother looking up that alias?

That's a lot of CVARs to change just for one function and there's no guarantee that you'll get back to the state you originally configured GZDoom in afterwards. i.e. you might prefer screenblocks 11 not 10, or maybe you prefer 10 for some mods and 11 for others. This gets really messy from here on out trying to account for that or other config changes.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Nobody, but we might just offer a keybind for that alias in the menu instead of hardcoding it. The main problem is that this feature requires the waits in the middle making a native approach a lot harder. A bit of native glue is needed to avoid clobbering the screen settings by setting some arbitrary defaults at the end.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Rachael » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:47 pm

I can do this, but I would like to know your opinion of this workflow:

It'd be implemented with a CCMD (togglehud) and it would store a static variable regarding its last state. If it's never been executed before, then it saves the state of, and then sets appropriately the CVars r_drawplayersprites, crosshair, and screenblocks, and when executed again, reverts the saved state of those variables.

That'd make it easy to just create a default alias that's basically "togglehud;wait;screenshot;wait;togglehud"

An alternative might be to just disable the 2D drawer completely when the command is executed, and save only "screenblocks" instead so it can be set to 12 (to account for status bar movement).
Rachael
Admin

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:04 pm

Sounds good.
Graf Zahl

Postby Rachael » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:56 am

Implemented in e55a93522.

This does not have the alias - I am not sure how you want to handle a native alias, or if you simply want the player to come up with it on their own.

I hope this isn't too hacky. I was really careful to try and come up with a more well-thought-out solution than a quick hack. As you can see, this tries to hook out most of the 2D drawing directly, relying on as few CVARs as possible to disable anything else.
Rachael
Admin

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions