Menu directional movement

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

NachtIntellect

Menu directional movement

Post by NachtIntellect »

Doom's menu by itself (Currently in Menudef) moves by pressing up and down on the keyboard or by selecting it using the mouse. But what if we were to allow the player to move left or right using the keyboard and/or mouse, what if we could have the player move absolutely anywhere on the menu with the keyboard and mouse?

The Menu below is something I have planned for a mod of mine, the idea is the cursor or rather selection starts in the middle and story mode is the equivalent of new game, the way this would work is the player can choose to either go left or right to select another menu option, if they go left they would be able to move down from load to save instead and they could move up from save to load, right to story mode and across to settings/options. The idea is to make something that looks pretty cool in the menu and still be able to navigate around it fluidly.

Last edited by NachtIntellect on Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Menu directional movement

Post by Rachael »

Moved by request to FS.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I moved it out because I thought it should be a discussion. As a feature request it's a clear "no".
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Shouldn't it be more of a "DIY" in this case? Menus can handle MKEY_Left and MKEY_Right inputs after all.

You just need ZScript for it though. :P
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Of course it boils down to DIY. The menu system is capable of any style in the hands of a capable programmer (behold the caveat here!) but I see absolutely nothing that justifies making it part of the engine.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”