[Not needed] Make a way to change PainChance for DECO and\or ACS

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Make a way to change PainChance for DECO and\or ACS

Postby Void Weaver » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:47 am

Looks for now there is no way to change actor's PainChance, despite that even PainThreshold can be altered.
So I guess that a something like A_SetPainChance(int chance, str damagetype*, int pointer*) AND\OR add APROP_PainChance would be quite useful.
* - optionally.
Void Weaver
Keeper of the Diablo bestiary storage Also amateur DECORATE-spaghetti weaver ಠ_ಠ

Re: Make a way to change PainChance for DECO and\or ACS

Postby Nash » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:03 am

If I'm not mistaken, DECORATE and ACS will no longer be extended/have new features added...
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Void Weaver » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:21 am

Well, I can be wrong but looks a some features still occasionally being implemented even as A_Function: A_SoundPitch
Or as a new dynlight attach function for ex. Less know about ACS but sure that a some features was recently implemented too. :|
Void Weaver
Keeper of the Diablo bestiary storage Also amateur DECORATE-spaghetti weaver ಠ_ಠ

Postby Cherno » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:15 am

^I'd assume that those were not DECORATE-exclusive additions, though. Something like A_SetPainChance would be since the property is already exposed in zScript.
Cherno

Postby Rachael » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:59 am

Nash wrote:If I'm not mistaken, DECORATE and ACS will no longer be extended/have new features added...

This.

The only reason you have access to A_SoundPitch in DECORATE is because both the DECORATE and ZScript compilers use the same data structures. Ultimately they both use the same VM and compile the same bytecode, but DECORATE uses an old syntax that is no longer updated or maintained.

Graf has mentioned something about it during the year 2016 I think before ZScript was merged into ZDoom's master branch, more than likely it was somewhere in this thread but I am not positive about that, and I'd have to go digging through pages and pages to find it.

Plus if I am not mistaken, you can probably just change it within an anonymous function anyhow, which as far as I am aware requires the ZScript compiler regardless. (Someone correct me if I am wrong on this, please)

In the end, you really are only hurting yourself by refusing to use ZScript. It's there for a reason - to be used - and by refusing to use it you're locking yourself out of modern features that have been added since its inclusion - and that fault really does not go to the developers.

Do not ever expect the developers to update DECORATE - especially for any reason that is just because you for some reason just can't do something even a basic simple DECORATE-like actor in ZScript.

TL;DR: Suck it up and learn ZScript, buttercup.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:23 am

DECORATE will of course have access to all newly added functions - but there really is no point adding functions whose only purpose is to avoid using ZScript. ACS may be different on occasion but I think that actor scripting in ACS really needs to stop, it's a very volatile way to do things.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions