Serious Sam-style co-op

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Serious Sam-style co-op

Post by wildweasel »

In the game Serious Sam, there are many options relating to co-op. Here are the highlights that I'd love to see implemented as options in ZDoom (perhaps using the cvar Coopflags or something - don't want to clutter Dmflags).

* Respawn in place. When playing large maps like Deus Vult, it's a MAJOR pain in the butt to run across large areas to get back to where you were.
* Items per player. The items appear in the same place for all players. When one player picks the item up, it disappears from their view, but everyone else still sees it and can pick it up. Essentially, everybody can pick up one of every item in the level. No more need to worry about who needs health.
* Keep inventory. Perhaps this could be multi-staged - Keep Weapons, Keep Keys, Keep Ammo, Keep Inventory Items. (The inventory items should probably be on by default, for maps with puzzle items)
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

You do realize that if even 1 measly person (especially if that person is graf) disagrees with any of these options and writes a paragraph or so about why it would be bad for them, it would instantly kill any and all chance of any of these being implemented. Right?
HobbsTiger1

Post by HobbsTiger1 »

I think we've discussed he need for these options before, and I don't know why people complain, I mean they are options. Anyway I'm all for it.
Tormentor667

Re: Serious Sam-style co-op

Post by Tormentor667 »

wildweasel wrote:In the game Serious Sam, there are many options relating to co-op. Here are the highlights that I'd love to see implemented as options in ZDoom (perhaps using the cvar Coopflags or something - don't want to clutter Dmflags).

* Respawn in place. When playing large maps like Deus Vult, it's a MAJOR pain in the butt to run across large areas to get back to where you were.
* Items per player. The items appear in the same place for all players. When one player picks the item up, it disappears from their view, but everyone else still sees it and can pick it up. Essentially, everybody can pick up one of every item in the level. No more need to worry about who needs health.
* Keep inventory. Perhaps this could be multi-staged - Keep Weapons, Keep Keys, Keep Ammo, Keep Inventory Items. (The inventory items should probably be on by default, for maps with puzzle items)
Seconded, because they are good ideas!
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Ditto
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

And who is coding all this?
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

No one yet apparently, that's why it's called a request :wink:
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

I will. :D If I didn't already have enough on my plate. :( This seems like a good idea, but the first one and 3rd ones are already implmented into ZDaemon and Skulltag (But Skulltag isn't opensource) so I can just rip it from the ZDaemon source. Oh yeah, you forgot something WW. ;)
Spoiler:
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

I can do some of them, but first I have to fix those hideous coop bugs.
killingblair

Post by killingblair »

Grubber wrote:I can do some of them, but first I have to fix those hideous coop bugs.
:D
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

killingblair wrote:
Grubber wrote:I can do some of them, but first I have to fix those hideous coop bugs.
:D
Grubber wrote:can
isn't will
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

You know, it is all well that we are doing an unofficial version here. But please let's not get carried away. As we all know Randy is currently doing a complete overhaul of the code so much of what we are doing here will have to be rewritten anyway.

For this we really should restrict ourselves to smaller things but not attempt to rewrite large parts of the game code - as this requires.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Graf's post makes sense. I was thinking something similar myself. Keeping it to fixes and minor things that are probably going to be integrated to the official build makes sense to me.

If all these modifications get added to the "inofficial" build and then Randy doesn't want them, we may be seeing the creation of a "break away port". Is that what people want?
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

cutmanmike wrote:
Grubber wrote:can
isn't will
True
HobbsTiger1

Post by HobbsTiger1 »

I actually only use the inofficial build for DECORATE weapons support and the minor bug fixes. I turned autosave off in my config file ages ago, and haven't yet found use for the rest of it (railings and such). All my feature suggestions are directed towards randy for his consideration.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”