Running game code above 35 tic limit

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Smedis2

Running game code above 35 tic limit

Post by Smedis2 »

I'm not sure if this has ever been asked before. I couldn't find anything but it's something that I'm fully aware is pretty drastic and would cause a lot of compatibilty issues in the long-term, but it's been kind of irking me ever since I started playing all of those years ago.

With the increasing power of GZDoom and the increasing complexities of most modern WADs, I still feel like relying exclusively on Doom's 35 tic logic system causes a lot of "jerkiness" in terms of stuff like placing actors over other actors, making objects like laser sights on weapons, etc.

I'm not calling for a total re-write of the engine, but it'd be neat to have the option so effects and objects that rely on being placed in a certain spot is instantaneous and not janky looking like it is now.
A good example of this is from a WAD I tried making a while ago which featured a segment in which you drive a car similarly to Outrun. This is what it looks like without capped frames and this is what it looks like with capped frames. I'm aware that not everybody's gonna be trying to make silly quasi-racing game minigames in their WADs, but I thought it'd be a good example as to what I'm referring to.

I will admit this is a bit of an OCD thing, but I feel like some better method to smooth out instant teleportation scripts would be nice, even if it doesn't involve what I've mentioned above.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Running game code above 35 tic limit

Post by Rachael »

No - with the way Doom is structured, doing this could be a disaster. Modern games run at lower tic rates, not higher.

Unfortunately, this is one of those trying to fit a square into a circular hole issues. The engine does not seem to fit your needs. Sorry.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

You can have smooth laser sights with 35 tic per second rate.
KeksDose

Post by KeksDose »

Your issue can be fixed. gzd interpolates certain movements between two such logical frames you described, just like the camera is. Look into [wiki]Warp[/wiki] or [wiki]SetOrigin[/wiki] with interpolation flags set.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

Rachael wrote:No - with the way Doom is structured, doing this could be a disaster. Modern games run at lower tic rates, not higher.

Unfortunately, this is one of those trying to fit a square into a circular hole issues. The engine does not seem to fit your needs. Sorry.
Well I just played BF4 on a 60Hz tick rate server :wink: but it requires a more powerful hardware to handle it well (that's what my pc is absolutely capable of)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You are dreadfully confused, my friend. Modern games don't run high tic rates at all. Most of the time they run at 10 tics per second, and according to what I've read, Battlefield 4 is included in that.

The net update rate may, however, be different. This is common for some more modern games where the net updates happen "as they come" but the actual processing happens at a much slower rate. This is allowed because the client/server model does not require deterministic syncing like GZDoom does.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

What I don't understand is why id chose an odd number. Why not 36 tics? This would allow for halving up to two times without a remainder and thus have things with half or quarter second durations without rounding errors. If you want something to last a half second, the duration would be rounded down from 17.5 to 17, so it's always either shorter or longer (18 tics) than a half second.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I think they chose it because monitors were syncing at 70Hz. 35 is half of that. Back in the DOS days, that looked really smooth.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Ah, makes sense because Wolfenstein 3D ran at 70Hz and because of that ECWolf accepts half tics. Actions still run at 35ths of a second but due to the addition of a thinker states get executed every half tic.

At least this is how I understood it from the wiki page:
https://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/wiki/DECORATE

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”