Scale factor (resolution) higher than 2x

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

invictius

Scale factor (resolution) higher than 2x

Post by invictius »

I wanted to artificially overload the game engine so I tried setting the resolution to 8k, but my system became unresponsive and just didn't seem to handle it (linus tech tips had the same problem when trying to run most games at 8k) - 4k seems to work ok, but of course can only be scaled 2x.

Also there's a preset resolution that I'd like to see... 1920x1440. We have all the other 4:3 resolutions already there (well apart from 2048×1536) so it would be appreciated if only for the sake of completeness.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Scale factor (resolution) higher than 2x

Post by Rachael »

This is technically already possible if you use "vid_setscale" (but this is an unsupported method and should never be used for such things - and if you attempt it, then you will see why I closed this suggestion).

The reason why the scale factor is limited to 2.0 is because at higher factors, the presentation drops pixels, thus completely eliminating the benefits of using super-sampling.

I found this out running 11520x7200 on a 1440x900 monitor. It looked very ugly and lagged like hell.
invictius

Post by invictius »

Rachael wrote:This is technically already possible if you use "vid_setscale" (but this is an unsupported method and should never be used for such things - and if you attempt it, then you will see why I closed this suggestion).

The reason why the scale factor is limited to 2.0 is because at higher factors, the presentation drops pixels, thus completely eliminating the benefits of using super-sampling.

I found this out running 11520x7200 on a 1440x900 monitor. It looked very ugly and lagged like hell.
Why was the resolution changing system changed? I liked the old one far better. And is it possible to leave the 4:3 suggestion opened please?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

invictius wrote:Why was the resolution changing system changed? I liked the old one far better. And is it possible to leave the 4:3 suggestion opened please?
A) The old system had an unwelcome addition of changing the desktop resolution which messed up windows and icons.
B) Next time, use separate threads.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote:This is technically already possible if you use "vid_setscale" (but this is an unsupported method and should never be used for such things - and if you attempt it, then you will see why I closed this suggestion).

4x supersampling would have to be done with two scaling steps - first from 4x to 2x and then down to 1x - but the only hardware that's fast enough for this is some of the very latest, most expensive cards around. I believe in 4-5 years such an option makes sense because it looks indeed a lot better tham MSAA. But right now it's simply too slow for consumer grade hardware.
invictius wrote: Why was the resolution changing system changed? I liked the old one far better.
It was changed because there was too much mess involved. To actually change the resolution of the screen it was not only necessary to change the desktop size (which is rude, to say the least) but also required taking down the entire renderer when done in mid-game. More than half of the video backend code was only there to handle this case and didn't even work right. So we decided to do the same as is the only possible way on non-Windows anyway: Use borderless fullscreen and scale in the postprocessing stage. This simplified the code a lot and removed some of the most problematic parts of the video code.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”