GlobalKerning support for FONTDEFS

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GlobalKerning support for FONTDEFS

Post by Graf Zahl »

Gez wrote:Technically, isn't it possible to have a single texture atlas image, and then split it into separate characters through a TEXTURES lump? Or does the font manager only works with separate graphics?
I'm doing that for the console font. The main problem here is that the other fonts are not fixed width, so you'd need separators and some organization to skip over unused code point.
Needless to say, that quickly devolves into a mess when the highest supported code point is around 8000 and it also makes it a lot harder to fill in some gaps.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just because support for FON2 et al is being deprecated, doesn't mean GZDoom will stop being able to use it, does it? I mean, obviously it comes with limitations due to the language overhaul, but I can't imagine support for the data is just going to get axed due to the legacy usage.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

wildweasel wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but just because support for FON2 et al is being deprecated, doesn't mean GZDoom will stop being able to use it, does it? I mean, obviously it comes with limitations due to the language overhaul, but I can't imagine support for the data is just going to get axed due to the legacy usage.
This is correct. Anyone who thinks that deprecation means "GZDoom stops supporting it" is wrong. There are many deprecated things that GZDoom supports, and this will be no different.

The underlying code will be different, but there will be an internal converter that reads the file and convert it to whatever format GZDoom would need.

After all, remember - how else would GZDoom be able to run E1M1?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The font management hasn't changed at all, except for the capability to allow code points above 255. If FON2 support was removed a lot of mods would break, so it'd be a stupid idea.
In this case "deprecation" means what it normally implies: The feature is still there, but it's considered legacy support - and please don't ask for feature extensions.
The main problem with FONx is simply the 256 character limit and for FON2 in particular that the design of the source graphics makes it very hard to build fonts which only sparsely allocate code points, these formats are simply not usable for proper international support.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

NOW this can be closed. I just added the kerning option to FIONTDEFS based fonts as well.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Thanks! All's square now.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”