Autoload WAD/Resource File Feature

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

RFNagel

Autoload WAD/Resource File Feature

Post by RFNagel »

A litle suggestion for a future version of ZDOOM:

If anyone is familar with the "Eternal Shell" (coded by Jim Flynn) that came with Eternal DOOM, you may remember a feature where you could copy any WAD file (resource, level, or otherwise) to the subdirectory "ETERNAL\DATA", and that WAD file would be loaded each time that you run Eternal DOOM from the Eternal Shell.

To explain a bit better, directly from the Eternal Shell Shell.txt readme:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Using Add-on wads with Eternal

If you have a custom sound or graphic wad you want loaded with all Eternal levels, or a particular Eternal level, it's possible. Any wad found in the DATA subdir is loaded with every DOOM start from the shell.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

IMHO, this would be a real handy feature for ZDOOM -:) Any WAD or resource that is found in a specific subdirectory where ZDOOM is installed (i.e. "C:\ZDOOM\DATA") would be automatically loaded in when initialy starting ZDOOM. In other words, sort of an automatic "-file" kind of thing.

ZDOOM already does a similar thing with the skin support using the "SKINS" subdirectory, so it seems like that this would prolly be a pretty easy feature to add -:)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There's an autoload section in the config file for this purpose. I think this is better than just adding another directory which is just doing the same as SKINS.
RFNagel

Post by RFNagel »

I didn't realize that. Are you refering to adding an entry to the the Autoexec.cfg file? If so, I'm assuning that this file simply functions similar as the old "response" files did in DOS DOOM?

If so, seems that the feature would still be quite handy, as one could easily copy/delete files from the "Data" subdirectory on the fly.

Also, the Skins subdirectory can't be used how I was refering to... it's only for user selectable skins that can be selected in the player's setup menu, and can only be feesibly used for skins.

As an example, use your file manager of choice to quickly copy a replacement music WAD and a sound effects wad to this new subdirectory, and then delete the files when you're finished using them (or adding other WAD files)... much easier than editing a response type of file (again, I'm thinking that the Autoexec.cfg file functions like a response file).
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

RFNagel wrote:Also, the Skins subdirectory can't be used how I was refering to... it's only for user selectable skins that can be selected in the player's setup menu, and can only be feesibly used for skins.
Don't be mislead by it being called "skins". Any WAD in there will be auto loaded. (Indeed, Zdoom will try and load any file with a WAD extension in the skins dir - whether it is actually a WAD or not - so lumps that it understands, eg an MP3 file, can be renamed and autoloaded.)

Graf (or anyone who remembers) how does the "pullin" command work again? From memory, that can be used from a config file, so you load the config file on the command line rather than the WAD(s) and the config "pulls in" the listed files.

13 hours
RFNagel

Post by RFNagel »

Enjay wrote:Don't be mislead by it being called "skins". Any WAD in there will be auto loaded. (Indeed, Zdoom will try and load any file with a WAD extension in the skins dir - whether it is actually a WAD or not - so lumps that it understands, eg an MP3 file, can be renamed and autoloaded.)
Well, I'll be dipped in $%it LOL! I didn't realize that, it's exactly what I was refering to. Works like a champ -:)

Dunno what was going through my mind with the skins directory, I was thinking that it only functioned when selecting player skins within ZDOOM :duh:
timmie

Post by timmie »

Code: Select all

[Doom.Autoload]
Path=../autoload/splash3.wad
Add new "Path" entries as needed. Obviously, you can replace "Doom" with the other games to get the same effect for different games. This goes in "zdoom-<user>.ini", btw.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”