[Not needed] The "border texture" around status bars

Moderator: Developers

The "border texture" around status bars

Postby NGX » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:43 am

Has there been any thoughts and ideas on improvements to the frame or border texture that shows up on the sides (and beyond) of the status bar?

I think it's been like this since ZDoom's beginning around the turn of the millennium. I've honestly always hated it.

In ol' vanilla Doom the border or frame texture was the same as the status bar texture so it all felt like one.

I was wondering if you developers felt the same way with regard to this bit needing some brushing up.

Personally I'd prefer just black I think, however if there's a possibility of a more elegant improvement then I think more of us would welcome it. When I made a ZDoom mod I modded the default border texture to match with the status bar.
User avatar
NGX
 
Joined: 14 Jun 2014

Re: The "border texture" around status bars

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:10 am

NGX wrote:In ol' vanilla Doom the border or frame texture was the same as the status bar texture so it all felt like one.


Image

Image

:?:
User avatar
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain
 
 
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Scotland

Re: The "border texture" around status bars

Postby NGX » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:15 pm

Really? Well, my mistake. Didn't intend to be misleading about it :(
User avatar
NGX
 
Joined: 14 Jun 2014

Re: The "border texture" around status bars

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Perhaps the confusion is because the original resolution of Doom was 320x200 and the status bar is 320 pixels wide. i.e. it is not set up to expect a wide screen ratio (because no one had them in 1993).

If you make the view window smaller than full screen in Vanilla Doom, you can see the border textures (as per my screen shots). However, if you use a widescreen ratio in GZDoom, the status bar isn't as wide as the window, so you can see the underlying flats at the sides of the bar.

For what it's worth, it is possible to specify the background flat in MAPINFO and I'm pretty sure there are a couple of widescreen status bar mods too.

Personally, these days I just tend to use the fullscreen HUD (partly because of this situation).
User avatar
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain
 
 
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Scotland

Re: The "border texture" around status bars

Postby NGX » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Yeah I guess I remember the marble texture since you pointed it out. I thought I remembered the gray stone being there :3:

While there are certainly options to download a fullscreen hud and whatnot, ZDoom would just be better out of the box if this was addressed. For example it could be coded to use the x-coordinates across the Health field and duplicate that to cover the screen on the left-hand side and the x-coordinates across the Armor field to cover the right-hand side, or something like that.
User avatar
NGX
 
Joined: 14 Jun 2014

Re: The "border texture" around status bars

Postby Rachael » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:49 pm

NGX wrote:While there are certainly options to download a fullscreen hud and whatnot, ZDoom would just be better out of the box if this was addressed. For example it could be coded to use the x-coordinates across the Health field and duplicate that to cover the screen on the left-hand side and the x-coordinates across the Armor field to cover the right-hand side, or something like that.


That's VERY subjective, and generally a more minimalist approach is better with an engine that supports mods. The idea being - if you want something, you can create it, yourself, and perhaps even share it with others.

It might be better to think of ZDoom as a way to open the door for you to the nearly infinite possibilities, rather than something that thinks of your every whim before you do.
User avatar
Rachael
QZDoom + Webmaster
 
Joined: 13 Jan 2004

Re: The "border texture" around status bars

Postby NGX » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:55 pm

Rachael wrote:
NGX wrote:While there are certainly options to download a fullscreen hud and whatnot, ZDoom would just be better out of the box if this was addressed. For example it could be coded to use the x-coordinates across the Health field and duplicate that to cover the screen on the left-hand side and the x-coordinates across the Armor field to cover the right-hand side, or something like that.


It might be better to think of ZDoom as a way to open the door for you to the nearly infinite possibilities, rather than something that thinks of your every whim before you do.


To be fair I didn't bring it up for 10 years :lol:

I don't mean to ask for it to be tailored to my preferences but rather point out that this bit of ZDoom hasn't received any changes since like '98? It's something that in my opinion just looks odd, and everything else about [G]ZDoom has reached a high quality level, with regard to mouse response feel unlike early versions of ZDoom, proper collision detection unlike Boom, all the bang with new features one could ask for, and so on.

I'm sorry if my tone comes off weird, it's a thing of circumstance outside of ZDoom perhaps :lol:
User avatar
NGX
 
Joined: 14 Jun 2014

Re: The "border texture" around status bars

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:42 am

It all boils down to "not needed" anyway. There's mods around that provide wide status bars. You can write your own mod that redefines the border texture if you do not like it.
The engine's own job here is to provide reasonable defaults, and by sticking to the textures used originally for this purposes, I think it's doing that.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany


Return to Closed Feature Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests