Flag to disable low friction bouncing off walls

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Flag to disable low friction bouncing off walls

Post by Guest »

In the act of recreating Quake movement in ZScript, I've set the friction value of my player class to 50000 so that the engine's friction doesn't mess up the friction I coded in. This has the very unfortunate side effect of causing the player to bounce off walls even at low speeds, making getting into small doorways and hallways a righteous pain. A flag to disable this (NOFRICTIONBOUNCE?) would make this much more playable.

Re: Flag to disable low friction bouncing off walls

Post by Guest »

I just noticed that there's no way whatsoever to disable the effects of air friction - at least, for actors affected by gravity. So broadening things a bit, how about a flag to just disable the effects of friction (including air friction) on an actor entirely? A +NOFRICTIONBOUNCE (or whatever) would still be nice, but this would still get me my end goal, would probably be useful to more people, and it looks like it'd be easy to implement.

Post by Guest »

Went ahead and made a pull request for this: https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/pull/637
(moderators, you can get rid of the previous anon post in this thread)

Post by Guest »

I was really hoping a code submission would've stopped this request from being *completely ignored* both here and on Github. I've been sitting on a mod that uses these flags for over a month now. I want to share it, and this complete lack of response is aggravating to say the least.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sorry, this seemed to have gone below the radar and probably went off the visible range of suggestions too quickly.
From a quick look this looks acceptable, I'll have to do a closer check first before applying.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”